Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Midweek Storm DISCO part III

DomNH

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the antecedent cold was established and winds northerly, that ensured the cold will be locked in. Unlike the ice storm in Dec '08, we didn't have to rely on tapping into the cold source from Maine. When that happens, you risk downsloping from the ORH hills and compressional warming.

Sure helped us out today. We got that freezing mist after the snow and sleet when it was still in the low 20's and it allowed an instant crust to form that really limited snow pack compression here.

Not much. I had just over 2" of snow, that is still not melted. If anything it may compact a few inches, but my snowpack was already heavy with water content. It's not like we have fluff.

seems with temps around 39/38 and not really dropping for a few hours that some melt is inevitable?

ray i don't know how you have puddles at 31.5.....it must be on salt treated areas because on walkways that will freeze or your thermo is off. (there's alot of 33's and 32.5's surrounding you) ....

temp has creeped above freezing here 33F still crusted snow....and ice on plants but dripping icicles

seems with temps around 39/38 and not really dropping for a few hours that some melt is inevitable?

ray i don't know how you have puddles at 31.5.....it must be on salt treated areas because on walkways that will freeze or your thermo is off. (there's alot of 33's and 32.5's surrounding you) ....

temp has creeped above freezing here 33F still crusted snow....and ice on plants but dripping icicles

My temp maybe a hair cool, but whent he rain is heavy enough, you will have puddles at 31*.

Best icing events are during pro-longed, light events, not qpf bombs.....they create latent heat release.

Oh yeah definitely. However, having a lot of water in the snowpack helps. If I had the fluff Rev Kev had, my snow would melt rather quickly. The snow is starting to fall from the sides of trees and hedges now. I don't like seeing it, but this will provide a nice base snowpack.

Oh yeah definitely. However, having a lot of water in the snowpack helps. If I had the fluff Rev Kev had, my snow would melt rather quickly. The snow is starting to fall from the sides of trees and hedges now. I don't like seeing it, but this will provide a nice base snowpack.

The deeper snow gets, the harder it is to build up....it's easy to forget that until you are faced with it.

My temp maybe a hair cool, but whent he rain is heavy enough, you will have puddles at 31*.

Best icing events are during pro-longed, light events, not qpf bombs.....they create latent heat release.

yeah i'm just happy i didn't torch today.....and i hope you stay cool tonite. 6 inches was much more than i thought i would get when i got home from work. snow pack is def. higher today. wonder where they will put all the damm snow. guy at work said it's very expensive to contract backhows and the like to remove snow ....come friday....(actually today) parking spots are at an absolute premium in alot of places.

The deeper snow gets, the harder it is to build up....it's easy to forget that until you are faced with it.

It looked so impressive up until today. We had the wet snow that makes everything look so much more impressive. Piles were consisted of massive boulders of snow. Complete shrubs buried..it makes 1' of snow like like 20". Streets were narrowed...it looked like the North Pole. I forgot just how great a big wet snow bomb is.

The good news is that we may have a few storm opportunities over the next 10 days.

I've pretty much outdone you every event this year and your only 20-30 miles away at the same latitude...

6.0" snow, Just flipped to PL here

Yeah your 40 miles west and near the foothills and have a little more elevation, I am closer to the coast and at 200' in elevation

30/29, freezing drizzle, kinda of bummed that all this delicious, deep powder has been fouled with a crust. I'll spend any free time the next few days tilling it in on my favorite backcountry drops. Hopefully we'll get a good dose of snow Friday and then more beyond. The good news is that MRG has picked up about 60" in the last 8-9 days and they've done well with this storm in avoiding a crust. Plotting to be there Thurs or Friday. Seasonal total there now at 134". Yummy.

Archived