• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Midweek Storm DISCO part III

DomNH

Just checked, Buffalo reporting 37 w/rain. Both ALB/BOX have snow showers likely here but only light accumulations. Never did get above freezing here as you predicted and we have ended with a nasty period of glazing. Good for snowpack retention, not so good for tree skiing. What do you think about Friday?

Yeah but we should dry out the atmosphere towards morning once this coastal pulls away.. I think it would be snow if it holds together..at least with elevation.

I think it's 8-12 on Friday for most of SNE..though this time I think SE areas might end up jackpot

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

32.5 here with glaze still on all surfaces - power has flickered a couple times. 15,000 CL&P customers w/o power- mostly in central CT.

Other areas around the same temp have "glaze on all surfaces"....I don't get it; hardly any ice left and water everythwhere......I think it's because it rained too hard, here....blows.

Anyway, I'm out to the GYM.

Same here. Heavy sheet rain. Look on the bright side. This solidifies the snowpack. Maybe an inch tomorrow..perhaps two if you're good. Hopefully another mdt event Friday. I still have snow stuck to telephone poles and on hedges here, surprisingly.

How much snowpack do you think you guys will lose from this whole thing? Whether it be from compression or melting

I still don't understand how ORH stayed so much colder than everyone else today. I was sure it wouldn't crack freezing here..Now i can't drop below 33.Been stuck there for hrs

It happens all the time...you'll tick to 33 while ORH northward in the hills rot at 28-29F.

How much snowpack do you think you guys will lose from this whole thing? Whether it be from compression or melting

Not much. I had just over 2" of snow, that is still not melted. If anything it may compact a few inches, but my snowpack was already heavy with water content. It's not like we have fluff.

Yeah, I never got above 29.0F (albeit with a questionable thermometer). Even that "high" was in the last 2 hours.

It might tick close to 32F or even try to sneak above it briefly later on, but it won't really matter in the scheme of things. The precip is about done.

Other areas around the same temp have "glaze on all surfaces"....I don't get it; hardly any ice left and water everythwhere......I think it's because it rained too hard, here....blows.

Anyway, I'm out to the GYM.

ray you still around 33. SE parts of wilmington look to be on the other side of CF right around 40 for last hour or two. wonder if that has an effect.

Not much. I had just over 2" of snow, that is still not melted. If anything it may compact a few inches, but my snowpack was already heavy with water content. It's not like we have fluff.

Yea, that is what is going on.....E MA got screwed with a late QPF bomb.

I still have a slight net gain, but I probably won't come out with much due to the compaction.....not much melting, but the damn downpours beat the gain down late in the game.

ray you still around 33. SE parts of wilmington look to be on the other side of CF right around 40 for last hour or two. wonder if that has an effect.

My Davis reads 31.5, but it's sometimes a degree or so cold in these situations.....E Billerica is right down the street and that one is 32.5.

Scott, I just didn't see that rain-bomb coming and it compacted more than I thought it would.

How did the Valley stay so cold is also a good question.

Once the antecedent cold was established and winds northerly, that ensured the cold will be locked in. Unlike the ice storm in Dec '08, we didn't have to rely on tapping into the cold source from Maine. When that happens, you risk downsloping from the ORH hills and compressional warming.

My Davis reads 31.5, but it's sometimes a degree or so cold in these situations.....E Billerica is right down the street and that one is 32.5.

Scott, I just didn't see that rain-bomb coming and it compacted more than I thought it would.

You could build it back + more on Friday???

Overall a net gain here. Rain/compaction only dropped the 6 inches by an inch or 2 Solid stuff

Check out the 09z SREFs. They actually had it hugging eastern mass pretty well near and just after 00z. Timing may be an hour or so off, but not bad of a performance. My guess is I may have lost or compacted 3 maybe 4" by tomorrow morning.

Archived