Newest Member
    Monty
2011 Global Temperatures

iceicebyebye

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh really?

Just own up to the fact that you made an erroneous accusation against Spencer.

Yes it is implicitly claimed by his title. Claiming something doesn't necessarily mean he thinks that. Obviously he's not quite that stupid. I shouldn't have to explain this to you.. you're just out to play games of gotcha as usual.

Yes it is implicitly claimed by his title. Claiming something doesn't necessarily mean he thinks that. Obviously he's not quite that stupid. I shouldn't have to explain this to you.. you're just out to play games of gotcha as usual.

Your statement didn't portray this at all - like you really did believe Spencer thought one week of tropospheric data had disproved AGW. You wouldn't have to explain anything if you would stop saying misleading things like this.

Interestingly, the peak UAH temp this summer was higher than any other month outside of the 1998 and 2010 strong Ninos except for one month following the 06-07 Nino.

Obviously trends are superior to little pieces of trivia like this, but it does go to show you how much we have warmed in the last 10 years if summers following mod/strong Ninas are now warmer than summers following all but the strongest Nino events.

It will be interesting to see if you apply the same logic if Oct/Nov/Dec is colder than any other year in the past 10 years (of course, your post ignores the fact that 2011 had a significantly warmer ENSO spring than any other year following a mod/strong Nina).

But again, I feel that the fairest thing to do is to include both UAH and RSS when looking at satellite temps and trends. This has always been my stance.

Can someone link me to uah and rss And tell me the typical times they are out.

How do they calculate the poles?

Are they both surface based?

I follow the buoys closely. There are around 40-50 in the arctic that I am aware of that are live now that give hourly or 6 hour updates. Does GiSS use these?

Here is UAH: http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/t2lt/uahncdc.lt

Here is RSS: http://www.remss.com/data/msu/monthly_time_series/RSS_Monthly_MSU_AMSU_Channel_TLT_Anomalies_Land_and_Ocean_v03_3.txt

UAH data covers a bit more of the poles than RSS, I don't remember exactly how much.

It will be interesting to see if you apply the same logic if Oct/Nov/Dec is colder than any other year in the past 10 years.

But again, I feel that the fairest thing to do is to include both UAH and RSS when looking at satellite temps and trends. This has always been my stance.

Well, we are about to shatter the earliest time to reach -21.00 (Ch. 5) on record by nearly 2 weeks.....crickets from Skier....

....and we are lower than the winter of 2003/2004 EVER reached (never fell to -21.00)

I'll take a stab that UAH comes in at +.11 for Oct.

If that verified, it would be the coldest October for UAH since 2000.

If Oct/Nov/Dec are colder than +.05, it would be the coldest Oct/Nov/Dec in the past 10 years. Still early, of course, but certainly seems possible at this point.

For RSS, +.12 would be the coldest Oct/Nov/Dec in the past 10 years.

If that verified, it would be the coldest October for UAH since 2000.

If Oct/Nov/Dec are colder than +.05, it would be the coldest Oct/Nov/Dec in the past 10 years. Still early, of course, but certainly seems possible at this point.

For RSS, +.12 would be the coldest Oct/Nov/Dec in the past 10 years.

It did!! :weight_lift:http://www.drroyspencer.com/

If you didn't see the data already, I am extremely impressed with your October prediction. It was literally spot on. Well done!!!:thumbsup:

Nope, I checked his website this morning and the data wasn't there.....made my post and checked about 45 min ago and there it was.

Honestly, it wasn't that difficult to come within a range of +/- .04....from there it's a 1 in 9 shot of bullseye-ing it!

Look, Spencer believes in global cooling! What a moron!

WHAT MIGHT THIS MEAN FOR CLIMATE CHANGE?

…taking a line from our IPCC brethren… While any single month’s drop in global temperatures cannot be blamed on climate change, it is still the kind of behavior we expect to see more often in a cooling world. icon_wink.gif

So he is talking about channel 5?

So 14k feet?

You guys need to help me out Here.

Surface obs/grid extrap is going to be much higher than .11 (Aka GISS) clearly the arctic and antarctic will play a large role. I am not debating climate change. I fully expect the the above surface air would take longer to warm compared to surface obs.

Either way. As I showed before. the arctic region because of OLR is much Warner than it would be if the ice didn't decline.

I am gong to Try and figure out how much of an impact it has.

So I need to know how all of the datasets work.

I know GISS will cover the arctic well so that will be my basis for 60-90N or mostly 70-90N

This not about AGW. This is a science project

So please help me out with UAH.

So 14k feet?

Surface obs/grid extrap is going to be much higher than .11 (Aka GISS) clearly the arctic and antarctic will play a large role. I am not debating climate change. I fully expect the the above surface air would take longer to warm compared to surface obs.

Either way. As I showed before. the arctic region because of OLR is much Warner than it would be if the ice didn't decline.

I know GISS will cover the arctic well so that will be my basis for 60-90N or mostly 70-90N

The ch. 4 "level" (near surface) obtained it's data from AMSR-E which went kaput at the beginning of Oct. The raw Ch. 5 daily data has been a "good" correlation to the calculated surface temperature assimilation process/method that results in a "global surface" reading.

There was a LONG drawn out thread about 8 months ago (I think) that went further into the nuiances of UAH's method, and the lack of polar data.

All else being equal (the historical record of UAH) the October drop was quite dramatic.

Friv,

As long as you cling to this false expectation, you will never get to the answers you seek. GISS data is extremely sparse in the arctic and their extrapolation of that sparse data to represent the entire Arctic is mind boggling.

So 14k feet?

This not about AGW. This is a science project

Must..........find.........way...........to............justify........or...........discredit.........global.........temps.......dropping..........on..........satellites...........

Friv,

As long as you cling to this false expectation, you will never get to the answers you seek. GISS data is extremely sparse in the arctic and their extrapolation of that sparse data to represent the entire Arctic is mind boggling.

Actually giss in October is likely to be to cool compared the actual temps the buoys show on a daily basis. But I am sure you already knew that. which means the uah extrap method is likely off by quite a bit. It doesnt matter. No natter what I say not matter how much work I do it will be ignored. The OLR anomalies for October in the arctic were impressive and the buoys show what that dies. If anyone with a straight face can tell me or show me how uah or giss accurately account for this I'd love to see it.

We can take buoy Dara of incoming solar radiation and compare it to satellite measures of OLR.

The last 10 days of October saw 10-30w/m2 OLR anomalies over much of the arctic. Before the 2000s this was unheard of. Really before 2007.

Actually giss in October is likely to be to cool compared the actual temps the buoys show on a daily basis. But I am sure you already knew that. which means the uah extrap method is likely off by quite a bit. It doesnt matter. No natter what I say not matter how much work I do it will be ignored. The OLR anomalies for October in the arctic were impressive and the buoys show what that dies. If anyone with a straight face can tell me or show me how uah or giss accurately account for this I'd love to see it.

We can take buoy Dara of incoming solar radiation and compare it to satellite measures of OLR.

The last 10 days of October saw 10-30w/m2 OLR anomalies over much of the arctic. Before the 2000s this was unheard of. Really before 2007.

UAH doesn't extrapolate. The data just doesn't cover the entire Arctic, just most of it.

There is often a monthly disconnect between GISS and the satellites, mainly because UAH/RSS respond slower and stronger to ENSO changes. These satellite sources are just now responding to the ENSO cooling seen this summer.

UAH doesn't extrapolate. The data just doesn't cover the entire Arctic, just most of it.

There is often a monthly disconnect between GISS and the satellites, mainly because UAH/RSS respond slower and stronger to ENSO changes. These satellite sources are just now responding to the ENSO cooling seen this summer.

I understand what your saying. How does uah account for the surface warming from OLR after Oct 4th if mrs measuring to high up. Most of the arctics OLR warming is under the low cloud deck ussually under 2-3k feet which is why 850s and 925s were not as anomalous.

How does it account for it?

Also, potentially, to the long solar minimum that was experienced over the last 4-5 years....which, with the lag, would be flexing it's "cooling" muscle at this time....

Must..........find.........way...........to............justify........or...........discredit.........global.........temps.......dropping..........on..........satellites...........

Yup, my interpretation was the same as yours. But I had Homer Simpson's voice doing the naration for Friv...

I understand what your saying. How does uah account for the surface warming from OLR after Oct 4th if mrs measuring to high up. Most of the arctics OLR warming is under the low cloud deck ussually under 2-3k feet which is why 850s and 925s were not as anomalous.

I don't know exactly how OLR factors into satellite temperatures. If warming is just at the surface, then of course the tropospheric measurements wouldn't catch it. I would imagine that most of it eventually escapes higher up, though.

Again, you have to also keep in mind that the Arctic is just a small percentage of the world. According to research by skier and others, the UAH Arctic temperature trends have been pretty similar to GISS.

The reason it's less anomalously warm at 850mb is not really that the OLR is trapped under the clouds (although that's probably a small part of the reason)... it's that the heat gets dispersed in the atmosphere and transported globally. 925mb is below the clouds I think.. but would be less anomalous than the surface.

Regardless, I think you are overestimating the significance of this OLR globally.

Archived