• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
SNE obs and discussion/banter

AmyB

Nobody says you can't tackle their own DIY projects, they are just breaking the law, that's all. There are things that do fall under "ordinary repairs" and they are explicitly spelled out by the Code. Any plumbing and electrical work technically needs a permit pulled. Homeowners can pull their own permits.

I thought in Mass a homeowner could't pull a plumbing permit for something like a new bathroom. For that you need a licensed plumber I thought, maybe it's changed but that's how it used to be. I'll be damned if I'd pay for a permit to change a light fixture or install a dishwasher. The state gets money from me on plenty of other occasions.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like if you accidently slip with your screwdriver when changing a circuit breaker in the main panel. 50,000 volts arcs across and you pull back a smoking stump just before your heart siezes.lol

The only thing i tackle in the panel is tripping breakers, That falls under high risk.........lol

I thought in Mass a homeowner could't pull a plumbing permit for something like a new bathroom. For that you need a licensed plumber I thought, maybe it's changed but that's how it used to be. I'll be damned if I'd pay for a permit to change a light fixture or install a dishwasher. The state gets money from me on plenty of other occasions.

5110.5 By Whom Application is Made.

Application for a permit shall be made by the owner

or lessee of the detached one- or two-family

dwelling or agent of either. If application is made

other than by the owner, the written authorization of

the owner shall accompany the application. Such

written authorization shall be signed by the owner

and shall include a statement of ownership and shall

identify the owner’s authorized agent, or shall grant

permission to the lessee to apply for the permit. The

full names and addresses of the owner, lessee,

applicant and the responsible officers, if the owner

or lessee is a corporate body, shall be stated in the

application.

Note: It shall be the responsibility of the registered

contractor to obtain all permits necessary for work

covered by M.G.L. c. 142A, Regulation of Home

Improvement Contractors. An owner who secures

his or her own permits for such shall be excluded

from the guaranty fund provisions as defined in

M.G.L. c. 142A. Refer to Special Regulation

780CMR 110.R6 and M.G.L. c. 142A for additional

information regarding the Home Improvement

Contractor Registration Program.

5110.6 Recognition of Laws, Rules and

Regulations. The securing of a building permit by

the owner, or the owner’s authorized agent, to

construct, reconstruct, alter, repair, demolish,

remove, install equipment or change the use or

occupancy of a detached one- or two-family

dwelling shall not be construed to relieve or

otherwise limit the duties and responsibilities of the

licensed, registered or certified individual or firm

under the rules and regulations governing the

issuance of such license registration or certification.

REPAIRS, ORDINARY. Any maintenance which

does not affect the structure, egress, fire protection

systems, fire ratings, energy conservation

provisions, plumbing, sanitary, gas, electrical or

other utilities. A building permit is not required

for ordinary repairs.

Changing a light fixture or toilet would fall under ordinary repairs. Running new electrical work or plumbing lines would not and requires a permit. I'd say an appliance falls under ordinary repairs unless you need to run new electrical or plumbing.

Just got in from a walk to the beaver pond. Was shocked to see there was still smoke/glow from the remains of the brush fire. I stopped feeding it at 2:00p.m. on Friday--guess it was going good.

Also, just buzzed by a large barred owl in the woods. Lit in a pine about 20' away and no more than 15' up. Had a stare down for a few minutes before it went to find something more interested than i. Chris had the same experience yesterday, and I said I never get to see owls. Kinda funny about that!

I've only ever seen an owl once in my neighborhood, but I hear them all the time at night, calling to each other. Great that you got to see one. Maybe he was hoping you would give him a turkey?

We had a snowy owl buzzing kids at school last March. Sadly, I was skiing at the B'east that day (oh, wait, I was sick...cough cough)

29.0F here attm

Lots' of people playing in the snow at Wachusett! I wish the Beast had webcams

Changing a light fixture or toilet would fall under ordinary repairs. Running new electrical work or plumbing lines would not and requires a permit. I'd say an appliance falls under ordinary repairs unless you need to run new electrical or plumbing.

Ordinary repairs is highly subject to the interpretation of the local building inspector. For instance, should your pipes freeze and burst in the Winter requiring you to open the wall to make the repair a permit should be pulled (but never is). If a dishwasher is added to a kitchen a permit should be pulled but, out here at least, rarely is. By letter of the law now you can't paint your own house if it was constructed prior to 1978. I'll be damned if I'll pay the state for a permit to paint my own house. Most of my building inspector friends are refusing to proactively enforce this. This state is so overly regulated it is ridiculous. Perhaps in the eastern part of the state more creedence is payed to every foolish regulation but here in the wild west that tom foolery is largely ignored. That said, I do very litle in the way of renovation, the vast majority of what we do is new construction thus we follow all applicable codes to the letter, however unduly constraining they may be.

Having a neighbor/friend who's an electrician FTW.

No permit pulled except for the project which required a building permit. The other projects done permit-less.

I've only ever seen an owl once in my neighborhood, but I hear them all the time at night, calling to each other. Great that you got to see one. Maybe he was hoping you would give him a turkey?

We had a snowy owl buzzing kids at school last March. Sadly, I was skiing at the B'east that day (oh, wait, I was sick...cough cough)

29.0F here attm

Lots' of people playing in the snow at Wachusett! I wish the Beast had webcams

Maybe I'll do a drive-by and snap some pictures.

We had a snowy owl hanging out here last winter. It was pretty neat to see it doing long low flights across the snow-covered field.

A friend of mine told me yesterday that Brady went to a hair plug clinic in R.I. prior to the start of season at the behest of Giselle. What would Lombardi have thought about that? What's next, a manicure before the game?

Come on, Pete. He wouldn't do that before the game. He'd do it following it in case he chipped a nail.

Meredith was musing the other day about why he was no longer balding. lol

29.8/16

29/17 under sunny skies at 10 am. Shadows sure are long at this time of year. I'm out, GO BILLS!!

are they mathematically eliminated. has a team ever started 0-8 and made the playoffs :whistle:

i think brady will have an ephiphany and wake up one day soon and say WTF am i doing with my hair. gisele be damned ...where the pants or where a dress

Archived