Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
SNE obs and discussion/banter

AmyB

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good bust on the temps last night..

27.4/`18 IMBY

Time to pound some coffee, look ignorantly at the overnight models, and prepare for the turkey rounduop.

Well, I've got the coffee and ignorant part down. I get turkeys in some bif plastic bag. They smell better and keep quiet.

And they are making snow at Wachusett now!

any of you weenies an electrician? want to come to the cape and run wiring in my basement? lol

Dude, it's so easy to do basic wiring. Do it yourself and save lot of $$$. Just get a basic home wiring book at Home Depot. The only tricky part is installing a new breaker in the panel and even that is easy if you don't electrocute yourself to death. Seriously, putting in some outlets and a few switches is NBD. Cue the electricians, "Wiring is not a hobby, hire a pro.".

Dude, it's so easy to do basic wiring. Do it yourself and save lot of $$. Just get a basic home wiring book at Home Depot. The only tricky part is installing a new breaker in the panel and even that is easy if you don't electrocute yourself to death. Seriously, putting in some outlets and a few switches is NBD. Cue the electricians, "Wiring is not a hobby, hire a pro.".

But I think there may be problems with insurance if a fire happens, no?

But I think there may be problems with insurance if a fire happens, no?

Oddly enough I think in Mass there would be more of an issue with doing your own plumbing. Seems counter intuitive but I think a home owner can pull a wiring permit but not a plumbing permit. At least that's how it used to be. We use plumbing/electrical subs for all of our projects but here at the house I do everything. My electrician friends would take issue with my advice but honestly it's not rocket science, basic stuff at least.

I'm an electrician and I have no problem with a homeowner doing their own wiring IF the work is at least checked by an inspector or someone experienced with it. Electricity is nothing to mess with if you don't know what you're doing.

That's the only thing I'd worry about. I don't think the work is that difficult, but I'd be worried if I didn't do something right, and then we have a short-out or something.

I'm an electrician and I have no problem with a homeowner doing their own wiring IF the work is at least checked by an inspector or someone experienced with it. Electricity is nothing to mess with if you don't know what you're doing.

Of course, I'm just talking about simple circuits, a few outlets, maybe a single pole switch. Wouldn't want to see the average homeowner wiring a sub-panel or a boiler, something like that.

[/b]

Of course, I'm just talking about simple circuits, a few outlets, maybe a single pole switch. Wouldn't want to see the average homeowner wiring a sub-panel or a boiler, something like that.

I hear ya. For the simple stuff you mention, it would only take a couple of minutes to check it all out.

I'd be wary of doing electrical work without a professional. The same can be said about any trade. Insurance companies will be less likey to pay a claim if they find out you did the work yourself and without a permit. A permit is a must imo. Can tell you how many people have finished their basements off without pulling a permit. God forbid they have an accident down there that claims a life or house. You'll be walking the streets.

I'd be wary of doing electrical work without a professional. The same can be said about any trade. Insurance companies will be less likey to pay a claim if they find out you did the work yourself and without a permit. A permit is a must imo. Can tell you how many people have finished their basements off without pulling a permit. God forbid they have an accident down there that claims a life or house. You'll be walking the streets.

Well, every Home Depot would be out of business if people didn't tackle DIY projects. True, things can go wrong but if you are of average intelligence you can pull off most basic home improvement projects. Just remember black to white, wait a minute maybe it's white to black. I forget.

Ray would have typed weary

A brief snapshot of arctic air here today...until later in the week.

The low was 21 and still 25 at almost 9 AM. So brisk and refreshing to breath in. :)

27 here currently under sunny skies. I've been procratinating doing chores by sitting here making silly posts. Time to get it in gear I suppose, it'll be getting dark again in a few hours.lol.

Just got in from a walk to the beaver pond. Was shocked to see there was still smoke/glow from the remains of the brush fire. I stopped feeding it at 2:00p.m. on Friday--guess it was going good.

Also, just buzzed by a large barred owl in the woods. Lit in a pine about 20' away and no more than 15' up. Had a stare down for a few minutes before it went to find something more interested than i. Chris had the same experience yesterday, and I said I never get to see owls. Kinda funny about that!

Well, every Home Depot would be out of business if people didn't tackle DIY projects. True, things can go wrong but if you are of average intelligence you can pull off most basic home improvement projects. Just remember black to white, wait a minute maybe it's white to black. I forget.

Nobody says you can't tackle your own DIY projects, they are just breaking the law, that's all. There are things that do fall under "ordinary repairs" and they are explicitly spelled out by the Code. Any plumbing and electrical work technically needs a permit pulled. Homeowners can pull their own permits.

Archived