BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of Queens is in a relative minimum of snowfall because they were in between the 2 stronger bands over NE NJ/Manhattan/Brooklyn and the other band that was mainly over Suffolk County

I dont know about Queens, but just east of the Queens line (by about 4 miles or so), Ive been getting smoked with 2-3 inches per hour consistently from about 1 am to 4 am.... over 9 inches here. Is the gradient really that sharp?

Unfortunately, still sick like a dog, but just woke up and it does seem to me to be a little difficult to reach the NWS projected snowfalls.

UPTON is notorious for being too high mid-storm and just staying the course. I don't want to sound like I'm bad-mouthing them, but it's true. What did they have for NYC metro last call?

Estimating 9-9.5" outside right now. Still snowing moderately, but it should slowly wind down from here on in. I'd say 50/50 that we hit 12" in Long Beach. There's a much better shot from Huntington east where that band matured and should CLOBBER all of Suffolk Cty. There might be some 18" reports from there before it's over. The band wasn't mature here but it was still incredible.

Yes, the gradient is that sharp. Look at the radar loop for the past 6 hours and you'll see why.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KOKX∏=n0r&bkgr=black&endDate=20110112&endTime=-1&duration=6

Smaller loop that loads faster but is only for past 3 hours:

http://synoptic.envsci.rutgers.edu/site/radar.php?≠=anim&radar=Northeast

I dont know about Queens, but just east of the Queens line (by about 4 miles or so), Ive been getting smoked with 2-3 inches per hour consistently from about 1 am to 4 am.... over 9 inches here. Is the gradient really that sharp?

Okay, the true weenie in me has finally come out. That band looks to be slowing down over W CT/Danbury and with dryslotting across further east sections......could be a very nice total before all is said and done...this is one way to put a snow weenie from a sound sleep to completely awake.

Yes, the gradient is that sharp. Look at the radar loop for the past 6 hours and you'll see why.

http://www.rap.ucar....e=-1&duration=6

Smaller loop that loads faster but is only for past 3 hours:

http://synoptic.envs...radar=Northeast

Thanks! :) Is there any way to accurately estimate snowfall totals from radar returns and is there a product available which does that? It'd be fascinating to see a "continuous" snowfall map of the area based on radar returns!

Estimating 9-9.5" outside right now. Still snowing moderately, but it should slowly wind down from here on in. I'd say 50/50 that we hit 12" in Long Beach. There's a much better shot from Huntington east where that band matured and should CLOBBER all of Suffolk Cty. There might be some 18" reports from there before it's over. The band wasn't mature here but it was still incredible.

Its now just light snow here-- I think we'll definitely hit 10" but anything beyond that is doubtful unless we get a reformation or the back end slows down. I was hoping for like 1-3 inches of accumulating snow during the day but it doesnt seem to be in the cards :(

Not that I know of, but it would be nice if it existed, wouldn't it? :)

Note that areas only about 5-10 miles to your north and east also have lower totals - it seems far SW Nassau County (Woodmere, Long Beach, etc.) has been in a nice sweet spot. How much did you have at 3AM?

.NASSAU COUNTY...

LEVITTOWN 6.0 300 AM 1/12 PUBLIC

ROCKVILLE CENTRE 5.0 320 AM 1/12 SKYWARN SPOTTER

Thanks! :) Is there any way to accurately estimate snowfall totals from radar returns and is there a product available which does that? It'd be fascinating to see a "continuous" snowfall map of the area based on radar returns!

UPTON is notorious for being too high mid-storm and just staying the course. I don't want to sound like I'm bad-mouthing them, but it's true. What did they have for NYC metro last call?

Upton is also notorious for almost always having the jackpot snow total for all of Long Island lol-- although this time, theyre neck and neck with Islip.

Not that I know of, but it would be nice if it existed, wouldn't it? :)

Note that areas only about 5-10 miles to your north and east also have lower totals - it seems far SW Nassau County (Woodmere, Long Beach, etc.) has been in a nice sweet spot. How much did you have at 3AM?

.NASSAU COUNTY...

LEVITTOWN 6.0 300 AM 1/12 PUBLIC

ROCKVILLE CENTRE 5.0 320 AM 1/12 SKYWARN SPOTTER

Give me a sec haha, I wrote all my measurements down, Ive been measuring every other hour.

Final total of 6.5" here. Seems a little low, but I measured properly. I saw someone measure in an area that still had a couple inches on the ground from previous storms ... funny. A few people might forget that you can't just go out there and stick the ruler in the ground, since there was already snow on the ground. Probably a few inflated totals due to that mistake.

Midnight 4.1 inches

2:06 am 6.4 inches

3:28 am 8.5 inches

4:40 am 9.2 inches

Doug and JM, do your measurements match up with the numbers I jotted down?

I'd say so. I'm guessing close to 10" currently. One thing about this snow is that it's a lot easier to measure than the blizzard's.

Snow is also a lot lighter here now and chances are we don't hit a foot unless another band reforms over us somehow.

Final total of 6.5" here. Seems a little low, but I measured properly. I saw someone measure in an area that still had a couple inches on the ground from previous storms ... funny. A few people might forget that you can't just go out there and stick the ruler in the ground, since there was already snow on the ground. Probably a few inflated totals due to that mistake.

How much did you have on the ground before? The good thing about here (not really "good" but good for measurement lol) is that we had large patches of bare ground. Even though it's been cold, the sun is still able to melt the snowcover away.

Montauk is continuing the plunge--this storm is still bombing way faster than modeled. Montauk dropped 5 hpa the last hour! Down to 991.4 hpa

KMTP 120954Z AUTO 06021G37KT 03/01 A2928 RMK AO2 PK WND 06037/0954 SLP914 P0001 T00280011 PWINO TSNO

KMTP 120854Z AUTO 03015G22KT 02/01 A2943 RMK AO2 PRESFR SLP964 P0025 60060 T00220011 56104 PWINO FZRANO TSNO

Archived