BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds as if all the Westchester people have a consensus amount pretty much....that is a good sign!

This storm has actually been better for me...I measured about 13" in that as there was a terrible snowhole in central Westchester (I think Thornwood only measured 13" or so as well). I think I'm going to eclipse that tonight.

seems it so far we both have 10.5"-11" already so does kaner.

I got up in time to see ...nothing...couldn't see across the street.

We sort of got fringed by the dryslot, but it never stopped or got too light and seemed to keep filling a little along the north shore as a complete shutoff threatened.. Dry slot has filled in fast and the snow is getting heavier again and suddenly I see 35 dbz firing up just a few miles to my west. The snow ahead of the dryslot was awesome, but not enough to get this part of central Long Island into any truly memorable totals (probably 7 or 8 inches so far), but it still seems possible that the banding on the back side of the dryslot is about to over perform. Not sure if the meso models keeping the precip going locally well past 7AM will verify, but it might also not be accurate for me to extrapolate from the current radar movement that it won't.

This storm may yet dissapoint or perform admirably here...I would have thought I'd know the answer by this time. I'll probably go back to sleep for a while.

Side note: wife thinks I'd be just as happy waking up to a big pile of snow. She doesn't really get that its the journey, not the destination that matters.

just for the hell of it upton increased my totals...

Overnight: Snow. Low around 23. Northwest wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow showers, mainly before 2pm. High near 31. Northwest wind between 14 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Still snowing hard here in orange county (Monroe ) We are around 9 inches- don't think we will make a foot at this point but we always do so well up here that I can't complain that's for sure. Nice storm nit much wind and its the kind of powdery snow you see in Colorado ski country. Speaking of which I was there maybe 15 yrs ago skiing beaver creek and we got 7 feet in 7 days- truly awesome to experience!

Well see, looks like it already shut off in the city

dendrite playground out there

Just measured 9.5", 3.5 in last hour.

I'm under 35-40 Dbz... and it's just spinning over me, collecting its thoughts.

Life doesn't get much better than this. I usually get to bed at midnight but I don't feel tired in the least.

Heading back out.

So....the heaviest snow in 2 weeks? tongue.gif

This band swinging through Nassau right now is down right ridiculous. Huge fluffy flakes right now, lake effect style! Just wish it wasnt moving so fast. First time all night i could still see the snow falling even when the street light went out. I'm glad i stayed up to wait for it.

Snow has ended here; my final storm total is 8.0 inches. What a great storm; I definitely liked it better than the 12/26 storm for several reasons: one because the snowfall rates were much higher here, two because I didn't get screwed over like I did with the 12/26 storm, and three because there was almost no wind which allowed the flakes to get much bigger, allowed the snow to stay on the trees, and allowed for much easier measuring.

The rates were really incredible with this storm; I got 6.5 inches over the course of about four hours (from 11 pm to 3 am).

Archived