BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'll be hated but I'm 37 I lived and grew up in Brooklyn weather has been my hobby since I was 8 and I saw blizzard of 83, 96,03,06,10.... Point is I don't get crazy unless it's really snowing hard. This is a beautiful storm covering all the old piles and it's nice but all those macho euphemisms are ridiculous. There are guidelines for light, moderate, and heavy snow based on visibility. Imagine an official obs would say ripping snow.

Have to agree with you. I'm ~20 yrs older, live in Brooklyn most of my life, also saw all the storms you mentioned (83,96,03,06,Dec10).

This is a lovely & heavy storm in southern Brooklyn, but it does not compare to those earlier ones in either final depth or intensity/low visibility.

I've had the same unobstructed ~1/2 mile view all these years, and tonights storm has not come anywhere close to the the listed earlier ones. I have my old Canon S70 set on a tripod by the window to take photos every 10 minutes; just as I did 2 weeks ago. The snow intensity determined by visibility is much weaker in tonights storm. Still a wonderful event, especially for those who do better with this storm &/or missed out on DEC 26's event. We got several valid measurements of 24-25" in that storm; I expect this will end in a few hours at ~7-9".

So, congrats to those who hit it big tonight, I share your love of snow. I remember from about March 1959 on, and still love a good snow, but only just for my backyard of Sheepshed Bay, this does not appear to be one of the greats.

To see a radar explode from basically nothing to such heavy snow for so many people is truly incredible. And the way this is going to end reminds me of a mini Feb 06, storm is going out quick, but not without a bang and some intense, quick accumulations. Heavy snow continues.

Snow really coming down outside still. Just a hair above 8" in Long Beach currently. Visibility is about a block and a half, and it's a much more "peaceful" snow than 12/26 but it's still coming down very hard. I think that if that deform zone hits us full strength in NJ, we hit a foot easy, if not 13-15". Definitely an awesome, hard hitting storm. At least the plows are a lot busier than 12/26, my block's already been plowed twice when it took a day on 12/26 to plow my street. :axe:

This is the first time in a while where I can remember a constant nowcasting event ending in a good result; not just weenie hallucinations. The storm is actually 4-6mb deeper than most models..and a good bit west. Don't believe it? Look at the model simulated radar, and then look at the positioning of the banding and dryslot over Long Island.

Snow really coming down outside still. Just a hair above 8" in Long Beach currently. Visibility is about a block and a half, and it's a much more "peaceful" snow than 12/26 but it's still coming down very hard. I think that if that deform zone hits us full strength in NJ, we hit a foot easy, if not 13-15". Definitely an awesome, hard hitting storm. At least the plows are a lot busier than 12/26, my block's already been plowed twice when it took a day on 12/26 to plow my street. :axe:

Only a day? Took 5 here. But I've been plowed 3 times already tonight.

They've got only 4 so far, but LGA has 5...everyone between seems to say they have more.

It has to be much more than 4 here. There's definitely some roof blowoff but I have to think it's around 8". I took 5 measurements in evenly snowed areas and averaged that, in areas that are relatively safe from roof blowoffs.

Archived