BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the heaviest banding is clearly oriented SW-NE in Westchester, so you're not quite in the thick of things. I'm not at the center either though...I'm sure the area around Exit 5/6 on 684 is going to end up with the most around here. Just to let you know, I've measured all the storms conservatively this year compared to nearby spotters, and I'd estimate around 9" has fallen here.

That's me under that. Pretty insane... 21* and wind is NNE @ 5. With such light winds the whole storm so far this ought to be (relatively) easy shoveling.

I was hoping for a slightly slower moving storm though. It looks like it's over by ~8am.

Islip has been reporting SNPL for awhile, those sleet statements from HPC may have been right.

Between the dry slot and the sleet, looks like the totals will be more uniform across long island, until you get to the north shore maybe.

that deformation band means business and while the backedge is approaching, it could still easily put down 5 inches in 2-3 hours.

I dont understand some people here. We just got over 5 inches in 2 hours at ISP and at Stony Brook from the initial bands. Now we have slight lull but the def. band hasnt come through. That could easily put down 2-3 per hour rates.

like the look of the deform going through my backyard/westchester county and up into Pawling

Aw f*ck it.

12"+ guaranteed all of Fairfield County, at least by this forecaster.

NY/Ct. border N of I-84 (and west) up to and over 20. That deform band is a keeper! Someone's gotta be getting 4"/hr there!

Meanwhile, RIPPING dendrites here... going outside with a shovel/brush, a video camera, and 2 Honey Browns.

That banding was over me for the past couple of hours and it was incredible. The flakes were huge and it was literally pouring snow. Had to be 2'' per hour rates in the heaviest bands. Definitely better rates than what I got from the 12/26 storm since I was on the western fringe of the heavy band. Now seems to be starting to wind down. What an awesome storm.

how much do you have...I have almost 8 now, getting ready to go out and plow, will be up in Bridgewater too

Aw f*ck it.

NY/Ct. border N of I-84 (and west) up to and over 20. That deform band is a keeper! Someone's gotta be getting 4"/hr there!

Meanwhile, RIPPING dendrites here... going outside with a shovel/brush, a video camera, and 2 Honey Browns.

lmaosmiley.gifdrunk.gif

Similar conditions here. A lot of the hires models had the band over us so Im not too surprised

Aw f*ck it.

Yep, that deform band is a game changer.. I am just west of it and still feeling the effects massively.. Can't imagine what it is like being directly under that.

Same thing here in Kew Gardens Hills, Flushing, Queens.....

Holy Wow....absolutely pouring outside. I can barely see a street light that's only about a block away. It's almost completely dimmed by the snow.

YOOOO, I mean heavy heavy heavy snow coming down, winds are picking up. Just amazing out there, goodness.

Just did a 2nd shoveling. Up to 5.0" as of 1:00 am, meaning I got 1.0" in the past hour (got 1.5" in the previous hour). However, it looked like I had another half inch on the ground by 1:20 am when I came in and it was really starting to pour down. Hoping I can get to 8-9" - looks like a few more hours of at least 1" per hour rates. Schools closed and work is delayed opening - I'll just work from home, since I don't have any major meetings. Snow is some of the prettiest snow I've ever seen - big flakes, really soft and fluffy.

Surprised at people saying it's snowing more heavily than on 12/26, though - it's been heavy, but definitely not as heavy as that night, when I was getting a consistent 2" per hour with bursts of 3" per hour for many hours in a row.

Just did a quick walk in the heavy snow and measured 7.5" here in Metuchen (northern Middlesex Co.) as we got about 2.5" in the past 2 hours, which is pretty good. Looks like we may only have another hour or so of good snowfall, so I'm thinking 8, maybe 9" tops, unless something odd happens. I'll take it.

Archived