BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. It is amazing that you are getting crushed because here in ossining I am not getting crushed only about 4 inches. Hoping that I get in on your action. rolleyes.gif

Yeah the heaviest banding is clearly oriented SW-NE in Westchester, so you're not quite in the thick of things. I'm not at the center either though...I'm sure the area around Exit 5/6 on 684 is going to end up with the most around here. Just to let you know, I've measured all the storms conservatively this year compared to nearby spotters, and I'd estimate around 9" has fallen here.

The banding over central NJ just looks insane, and could drop up to 3"/hour once it translates up here. Headed straight at us. Of course, there's no lull in the snow intensity at all right now, still 1-2"/hr estimated.

These rates might exceed what we got in the Blizzard!

Ripping is my favorite word, no idea where that one started.

I know I'll be hated but I'm 37 I lived and grew up in Brooklyn weather has been my hobby since I was 8 and I saw blizzard of 83, 96,03,06,10.... Point is I don't get crazy unless it's really snowing hard. This is a beautiful storm covering all the old piles and it's nice but all those macho euphemisms are ridiculous. There are guidelines for light, moderate, and heavy snow based on visibility. Imagine an official obs would say ripping snow.

Heavier snow now falling!!! Just absolutely beautiful out there!!!! :snowman: Seems that the bands have consolidated and centralized their power over us. lol

You are a crazy weenie dude and I love it! Your descriptions of the event are wonderful!

We are getting rocked my friend thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Deformation axis is setting up perfectly!

+SN

23.1/.22

I know I'll be hated but I'm 37 I lived and grew up in Brooklyn weather has been my hobby since I was 8 and I saw blizzard of 83, 96,03,06,10.... Point is I don't get crazy unless it's really snowing hard. This is a beautiful storm covering all the old piles and it's nice but all those macho euphemisms are ridiculous. There are guidelines for light, moderate, and heavy snow based on visibility. Imagine an official obs would say ripping snow.

Say what you want but I am almost as old as you and I know heavy snow when I see it and that is what I have had for 3 hours non-stop. It is ripping snow here and that is indisputable. The radar history supports the claim.

You are a crazy weenie dude and I love it! Your descriptions of the event are wonderful!

We are getting rocked my friend thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Deformation axis is setting up perfectly!

+SN

23.1/.22

You seeing what Im seeing?

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?num=6&delay=15&scale=1.00&noclutter=0&ID=OKX&type=N0R&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&showstorms=0&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0

Right over us

Archived