BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NYC Jan 11-12 Regional Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went out to measure. Took several measurements. I have 8 inches with very heavy snow falling

I got back from a walk as well (really need to find my boots, running sneakers are no fun)...had around 8, low spot was 6 1/2 high was alittle over 9....most were within 7 3/4 and 8 1/2. still dumping right now, that band sitting over the Hudson is amazing.

At this point in the game, it's not about synoptics ;)

Judging by latest radar trends/mesoanalysis/rates thusfar, think the city rips for another 3 hours or so then quickly shuts off. The storm is racing but also bombing which means take your backside bands and cherish them... if you're getting what I'm getting under similar returns in SW Ct., then it's 1-2"/hr. type stuff... expect the bands to continue to pulse and then you may have a period of 3"/hr snows with that last burst in Jersey.

Think we're talking 10-11" for NYC when all is said and done which is a lot higher than I figured earlier this evening... I was telling friends 10-15" for the city earlier today and figured I was in for a massive bust considering the NAM shot east... but if the Park breaks double digits, it will be the 5th time in 13 months with two of those producing 20"!

Savor the incredible period we are in... you may never again see such a prolific stretch in your lifetime.

Wow, just incredible. I mean really, I have cherished every storm since 12/19/09. I walked through Central Park at night on 12/26 just to experience those conditions, first time ever. Now another beauty of a storm impacting us, just amazing.

Currently, heavy snow with larger flakes.

At this point in the game, it's not about synoptics ;)

Judging by latest radar trends/mesoanalysis/rates thusfar, think the city rips for another 3 hours or so then quickly shuts off. The storm is racing but also bombing which means take your backside bands and cherish them... if you're getting what I'm getting under similar returns in SW Ct., then it's 1-2"/hr. type stuff... expect the bands to continue to pulse and then you may have a period of 3"/hr snows with that last burst in Jersey.

Think we're talking 10-11" for NYC when all is said and done which is a lot higher than I figured earlier this evening... I was telling friends 10-15" for the city earlier today and figured I was in for a massive bust considering the NAM shot east... but if the Park breaks double digits, it will be the 5th time in 13 months with two of those producing 20"!

Savor the incredible period we are in... you may never again see such a prolific stretch in your lifetime.

well said. upto 6.5 here

<br />I got back from a walk as well (really need to find my boots, running sneakers are no fun)...had around 8, low spot was 6 1/2 high was alittle over 9....most were within 7 3/4 and 8 1/2. still dumping right now, that band sitting over the Hudson is amazing.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Cool... At least I know my measurement is accurate

Once the dynamic tropopause ejects over the coast, it is absolutely amazing watching the height field adjustment and the instantaneous jet stream circulation explode into a huge plume. The banded jet stream undulations perpendicular to the flow are a classic example of an extremely divergent active jet. A neat storm to watch. I wish this was happening during the day to see the three dimensional nature of the cloud field. The morning vis-sat will look impressive.

So far this storm is significantly more impressive than the 12/26 one (out here)...though winds are not as strong.

At least makes it easier to measure. Winds are picking up though, and it's still coming down like a mofo.

7" approx. on the dot. I think ~65% I reach 12" with the banding approaching from NJ.

Archived