BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January 9th-11th Winter Storm Obs Thread

Powerball

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still snowing very nicely. We're somewhere in the 4-5" range. An overperformer, no doubt.

5 inches in Mexico Missouri (40 min northeast of Columbia). Not bad. Decent snow for many. Which model handled the qpf the best? It seems like somewhere between the NAM and GFS. Both models seem to capture where the heaviest snow would fall in Missouri.

Didnt end up in the jackpot as ruc indicated I would, actually quite a few areas to my N, S, E, & W got a little more than me, but I certainly wouldnt call it shaft. Had a total imby of 4.3" snow with 0.28" water. Snow depth is a solid 5", with isolated 4" and 6" spots (the 6" are more than the 4", but an average is definitely 5"). So we are basically right back where we were in mid and late December, however it does not look quiet as it did after that storm. DTW had 5.0" with the storm today. Season totals thru 7am Jan 12th are 17.9" at DTW and 17.6" imby, so essentially we are near-normal on the season, and looking at the forecast, we will likely seal an above-average January by the 17th or so.

Pics from early this morning:

2558-800.jpg

2559-800.jpg

2560-800.jpg

2561-800.jpg

2562-800.jpg

2563-800.jpg

Didnt end up in the jackpot as ruc indicated I would, actually quite a few areas to my N, S, E, & W got a little more than me, but I certainly wouldnt call it shaft. Had a total imby of 4.3" snow with 0.28" water. Snow depth is a solid 5", with isolated 4" and 6" spots (the 6" are more than the 4", but an average is definitely 5"). So we are basically right back where we were in mid and late December, however it does not look quiet as it did after that storm. DTW had 5.0" with the storm today. Season totals thru 7am Jan 12th are 17.9" at DTW and 17.6" imby, so essentially we are near-normal on the season, and looking at the forecast, we will likely seal an above-average January by the 17th or so.

Pics from early this morning:

2558-800.jpg

2559-800.jpg

2560-800.jpg

2561-800.jpg

2562-800.jpg

2563-800.jpg

nice pictures! Did you see the snowfall reports on Noaa, I disagree, on the low side. I'm pretty sure I got around 6" IMBY.

Still snowing very nicely. We're somewhere in the 4-5" range. An overperformer, no doubt.

Congrats. What was forecasted qpf?

I received 5.3" total in NE Detroit.

It's funny too because the snow seems much deeper than the half foot atorm in December.

The roads were a disaster on Dec 12th because the first 4" was wet snow that glued to the streets after the flash freeze, but it probably wasnt quite 4" on the actual street. Plus the flash freeze was followed by 2" of powder and blowing/drifting snow. This storm was all powder so it all stuck to the road.

nice pictures! Did you see the snowfall reports on Noaa, I disagree, on the low side. I'm pretty sure I got around 6" IMBY.

Thanks. The reports are all spotter/coop reports, so it all depends who does the measuring, and there was some minor blowing/drifting with this storm, not to mention some old snow on the ground, plus it all varies from place to place anyway. There are guidelines as to how to measure snow, but even in a storm like this where the wind wasnt too bad, the snowboard was not the best.

gunna have to get used to your new picture lol threw me off at first

After last night's disaster, I had to ditch the Chief for a little bit. ;)

Still spitting snow here.

Looks like a LES band making a visit soon.

Good to hear.

Ended up with 5.5 inches of total snow here in Warsaw. I was expecting 3-4"...so I'm pleased with this event even though I only had 2 hours of decent dendrites.

Very nice.

well deserved

indeed.

Congrats. What was forecasted qpf?

The models made amends at 0z yesterday, after the snow had already started to pile up, but generally they were forecasting in the 0.1-0.2" QPF range, with a rogue run nipping me with the 0.25". Ended up with 4.8" of snow on 0.30" liquid.

Good to hear.

thanks. :)

Love the pics Josh. Make sure nobody puts their footprints in that velvety layer of white gold.

+1. Great pics as usual Josh.

Also, and I hope Hoosier doesn't get mad (j/k man), but I tacked on 0.7" for the overnight stuff at LAF...based off COOP and CoCoRahs reports.

Well pending Ajdos' measurement and the 11:37 AM updated spotter reports outside the lake efect/enahnced areas, it appears Nothern Wayne and Southern Macomb were the jackpot areas (Grosse Pointe Farms and Warren both have 5"), and I was in the bullseye of 5.3" (my report is the "2 NNE of Downtown Detroit" one).

Did anybody notice that the snow consistency with this system was very different? It was very greasy and slippery. We only got about 2 inches of it, but it sure made roads messy. Even though it was pretty cold, the snow didn't seem very powdery. What were the meteorological factors to produce this type of snow?

Hey snowstormcanuk how much you guys have up there? i see a nice band moving toward the Toronto area. about 7" since i measured early this morning with some lake enhanced precip over me atm,i should be able to squeeze another 2-4":thumbsup:

I had 4.8" for this storm, and a little over 9" on the ground total.

Nice job on the 7". I think Don Paul went for a max of 5-9" so you'll do better than that.

Wow, you guys even beat me. The one area that was supposed to get smoked...Hamilton...got screwed as far as I can tell. There was maybe 3" on the ground total, and that includes the 1/2 inch or so they had on Monday.

If thats an updated snow total in your signature then we have 7.1" to go :thumbsup:

I had 4.8" for this storm, and a little over 9" on the ground total.

Nice job on the 7". I think Don Paul went for a max of 5-9" so you'll do better than that.

Wow, 9" on the ground...so much for having a crappy winter lol. :)

Had some LES showers this afternoon, dropped 0.1" fluff here, nothing to write home about. I guess for continuity sakes will make it part of my storm total to 4.4". Very jealous of the snow CT got today, but oh well. Its so nice to have everything look like deep winter, from the massive snow piles in mall parking lots to the fresh look of the blanketed snow. Its weird, in open areas lots of drifting, but in residential areas not much. Obviously the open areas will drift more in any event, but this time seems even moreso.

Archived