• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
NYC Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

Awesome map. We will know more about the mesoscale banding and frontogenic band developments by tomorrows 12z MM5. Within 30 hours it can be an amazing tool at pinning down the area of heavy banding and subsidence around those bands as well.

With that kind of active DT, there is going to be some scary meso banding with this beast and such an active jet. Really the only way this thing can tank out so fast. That is where the surprises will come. We will see how well the models handle it.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the little that it's worth..the RUC has been amplified since last night and continues to be. Comparing it's images to the NAM grid show that it's definitely more amplified both with the shortwave in the MS Valley and the heights on the east coast. Not a surprise given it's resolution..and the high resolution solutions we have seen tonight which are more amped.

ruc_500_013s.gif

Here's the 18 hour forecast...what a beast.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/ruc/hr3/images/ruc_500_018s.gif

I'm really impressed by your enthusiasm and contributions to events that don't occur in your area. You've added so much to the discussion here in the NYC metro, even though you live a thousand miles away and probably don't care for all our weenie talk about whose house is going to get nailed. You are a very dedicated and knowledgeable meteorologist, and we appreciate the effort!

Nor'easters are such fun events because they are freakish dynamic systems that are so difficult to forecast. They really challenge you and force you to make use of synoptics, dynamics, and mesoscale meteorology. It is definitely fun watching these events!

Hey everyone,

Yet another impressive storm to watch!

Here's my latest thoughts...but where's everyone thinking the bullseye will be?

Will probably have to make a moderate adjustment in a spot or two to my totals tomorrow afternoon, but we'll see what happens!

http://hammerweather.blogspot.com/2011/01/todays-tri-state-area-update-brace-for.html

Also, I hope NYC sure has a hell of a plan set for this storm! Imagine a major screw-up in only a couple weeks span? Wouldn't be a good thing, that's for sure!!

:)

Will be monitoring through the storm,

- Matt

What's interesting is how the deformation and intense frontogenic support is actually developing just southwest or over the region. I can't really remember a storm the past several years where this has happened..for the most part we have events where the CCB is developed and then matures over the area. So I'm not sure which way to lean as far as amounts go..especially on the fringes. With the typical event we can say that the models have a tendency to underdo amounts on the tight NW gradients..where a deform band can set up. But this is a different situation...everything is going bonkers directly overhead. So who knows.

Aside from the fact the sun angle will have no affect on this whatsoever, Its a shame that parts of LI coould have an inch of liquid (if you buy the high res models) in 3 hours while we sleep (while some sleep). I'd like to see some of that in daylight. 7- 10 AM Weds might be prime viewing time, even if its not as heavy as the preceeding 3 hours. Of course the timing can vary by the time we get to the actual event (along with all the other exciting details).

I may have to go to bed early and miss the start for the early AM payoff.

Exactly-- I love daytime snowstorms. With that said, if I wake up to heavy snow and it continues up until, say noon, I wont mind......

And likely no sleep until Wednesday night. No way I'm sleeping during up to several inch per hour snow rates.

And as for the cold-awesome for sure. At least this one won't be followed by a warmup to the 40s a few days later. This pattern just keeps reloading and reloading!! At this rate this might be a once-in-decades winter. It's unbelievable that some in the Tri-state might be at 40" on the season by the halfway point in the winter.

Lol well I got a lot of sleep in today when I got home-- will probably do the same tomorrow before the event starts. I suggest you do the same :thumbsup:

Dont worry about models right now, JM, just worry about getting enough sleep before the big snow starts!

With that kind of active DT, there is going to be some scary meso banding with this beast and such an active jet. Really the only way this thing can tank out so fast. That is where the surprises will come. We will see how well the models handle it.

It's fun watching all the pieces coming together and watching all the heavy bands move in off the radar, even if theyre not in your backyard, just to see something dynamic like that happening shows how powerful mother nature can be.

It's fun watching all the pieces coming together and watching all the heavy bands move in off the radar, even if theyre not in your backyard, just to see something dynamic like that happening shows how powerful mother nature can be.

I am excited about this event because I have never seen one like this. Such a small and compact system. It will be a quick hitter, and systems this dynamic are very unstable (not hydrostatic instability but "dynamic" instability aka very erratic track and non-linear development). No model will fully handle this system well.

Lol well I got a lot of sleep in today when I got home-- will probably do the same tomorrow before the event starts. I suggest you do the same :thumbsup:

Dont worry about models right now, JM, just worry about getting enough sleep before the big snow starts!

I'm somewhat of an insomniac by trade, but I CAN'T sleep when these kind of events are knocking on the door. I have a fairly short work day tomorrow (today) so I plan on crashing for a few hours (and securing plenty of hi-quality caffeine) before game time. I napped today when I got home from work too-I'll find time to crash when I can. I'll be wide awake when/if it comes down at multiple inches per hour regardless though. I stayed up all through the 2/25 storm so I can do it again easy.

The dynamics are starting to just look ridiculous and the models are really tucking this in and detonating it right offshore. I never thought this storm could rival the 12/26 blizzard in any way, but it's starting to look like this could for a few hours. The duration is really why I can't go for as high a total as that one.

I am excited about this event because I have never seen one like this. Such a small and compact system. It will be a quick hitter, and systems this dynamic are very unstable (not hydrostatic instability but "dynamic" instability aka very erratic track and non-linear development). No model will fully handle this system well.

Thanks for all your very knowledgeable input, Jason :thumbsup: Did you read the article about thunderstorms producing antimatter? I wonder if we shall be producing some tomorrow night and Wednesday ;)

I'm somewhat of an insomniac by trade, but I CAN'T sleep when these kind of events are knocking on the door. I have a fairly short work day tomorrow (today) so I plan on crashing for a few hours (and securing plenty of hi-quality caffeine) before game time. I napped today when I got home from work too-I'll find time to crash when I can. I'll be wide awake when/if it comes down at multiple inches per hour regardless though. I stayed up all through the 2/25 storm so I can do it again easy.

The dynamics are starting to just look ridiculous and the models are really tucking this in and detonating it right offshore. I never thought this storm could rival the 12/26 blizzard in any way, but it's starting to look like this could for a few hours. The duration is really why I can't go for as high a total as that one.

But if it snows through Wednesday what a wonderful birthday present for you! :snowman:

Welcome to my life. I haven't slept much the past few nights..and certainly didn't sleep for a few days before and during the 12/26 blizzard.

Rather insightful post in the DC thread on pressure falls already, I thought. Just follow the return feature to see the graphic.

As a final hurrah post.

1. Notice how the precip field is stopping at fredricksburg. That equates to about 3200' on radar. Note also that the 00z RAOB from IAD had -53°C dew point at about that same height. So all it will do is moisten the air above h7. The longer it goes the more moisture it will virga to help alleviate that dry slot.

2. The frontogenisis along the Carolina coast is being caused by the temperature difference between the gulf stream temperature (58°F) and the land surface temperature ( 28°F). A 30°F temperature difference over 50 miles can cause major mesoscale effects which deepen the low faster than modeled. Which, if you look at the 3 hour pressure difference maps, is already starting to happen.

post-741-0-78998400-1294730710.gif

I'll point out two things here. First, 63 users online is flat out amazing... Find another subgroup (within a subgroup) with that sort of devotion. Second, from afar (I'm at school in NH), I don't have much of a "ball" in the game in NYC. It allows me (as opposed to when I'm home in NYC) to have a better prospective. All I know is that if I were home right now, I would be jumping off walls. This, as I've been telling John (Earthlight), is not the season to be conservative. It's the season where most everything has found a way to go right.

I'll point out two things here. First, 63 users online is flat out amazing... Find another subgroup (within a subgroup) with that sort of devotion. Second, from afar (I'm at school in NH), I don't have much of a "ball" in the game in NYC. It allows me (as opposed to when I'm home in NYC) to have a better prospective. All I know is that if I were home right now, I would be jumping off walls. This, as I've been telling John (Earthlight), is not the season to be conservative. It's the season where most everything has found a way to go right.

Yes, I mean we've just pulled the rabbit out twice from the hat, and it just seems that when the set-up is favorable, the storms appear and don't disappoint

Archived