Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
NYC Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miller A/B classification generally fits most systems, but there are a quite of number of systems that don't fit under either. I think this storm would be a great storm to classify under "hybrid" since it shares characteristics of both since the primary upper level S/W fits the B classification while the coastal low originated in the Gulf Of Mexico in association with a secondary wave.

Unlike with most Miller As, this gulf coast storm is largely sheared apart as it moves to the se coast, losing most of its former punch as it does so.. It barely maintains character, with a pressure reading around 1018; hardly the stemwinder we usually see as more typical A type storm roars out of the gulf, turn the corner, and deliver the goods up the coast.. This one needs the help of the secondary energy from the midwest to reinvigorate it, providing moisture to the developing situation, but not much else.. To me, this is the main reason its not seen as more of an A type storm.

Unlike with most Miller As, this gulf coast storm is largely sheared apart as it moves to the se coast, losing most of its former punch as it does so.. It barely maintains character, with a pressure reading around 1018; hardly the stemwinder we usually see as more typical A type storm roars out of the gulf, turn the corner, and deliver the goods up the coast.. This one needs the help of the secondary energy from the midwest to reinvigorate it, providing moisture to the developing situation, but not much else.. To me, this is the main reason its not seen as more of an A type storm.

Right, I do believe it has far more characteristics with a Miller A type system, but quite honestly, if that coastal low was not there to begin with, this would be a weak OTS solution, or at best, a glancing blow to coastal NE.

The upper level EC ridge is a tad flatter, but it is faster than the 18Z...which is good since the 18Z almost captured it too late. We will see how this run pans out, it will be close.

Ah my bad, for some reason I was under the impression a faster upper level low would not be a good thing. But that makes sense being the faster the capture, the stronger the storm. Still learning...

Archived