• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
PHL Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

Actually Tom, here are the begining depths. NAM shows some melting from hour 6 to hr 30 before system arrives

ok yea, then thats better. I just wanted to pt that out cause some ppl in ct might think they are getting 18 plus of snow, but they didnt see that before the storm they already had 8 on the ground lol

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

342 PM EST MON JAN 10 2011

DEZ001-NJZ016>019-021>023-027-PAZ070-071-111030-

/O.UPG.KPHI.WS.A.0002.110111T2100Z-110112T1500Z/

/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.W.0002.110111T1900Z-110112T1500Z/

NEW CASTLE-SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-

CUMBERLAND-ATLANTIC-CAPE MAY-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-DELAWARE-

PHILADELPHIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...PENNSVILLE...GLASSBORO...

CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...MOUNT HOLLY...MILLVILLE...

HAMMONTON...CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE...WHARTON STATE FOREST...MEDIA...

PHILADELPHIA

342 PM EST MON JAN 10 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM TUESDAY TO 10 AM EST

WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM TUESDAY TO

10 AM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN

EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 5 TO 8 INCHES.

* TIMING: THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO START DURING TUESDAY

AFTERNOON...THEN BECOME STEADIER AND HEAVIER TUESDAY NIGHT. THE

SNOW SHOULD TAPER TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS: SNOW WILL STICK TO ROADWAYS...ESPECIALLY BUT NOT

EXCLUSIVELY UNTREATED ONES. SNOWFALL RATES WILL CAUSE THE

VISIBILITY TO DROP TO OR BELOW ONE-HALF MILE FOR A PERIOD OF

TIME. DRIVING WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS. THE TUESDAY EVENING AND

WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTES EACH MAY BE HAZARDOUS. WINDS ARE

EXPECTED TO INCREASE AFTER THE SNOWFALL...AND BLOWING AND

DRIFTING OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED LATER ON WEDNESDAY.

Not that it matters since its going to snow, and we all know it will be most likely between 3-6" in most of eastern PA, but why doesn't the NWS overlap advisories/watches and warnings for certain areas.....too confusing for the public, I guess?

For example: Mont. County has a Winter Storm Watch, but why not issue an Winter Weather Advisory as well since the chance of say 2-4 inches of snow is nearly 100%. I see counties to the west in the CTP region have advisories for snow occuring at the same time as eastern PA.

Well, I said this in the Banter thread but I'll say it here what I'm a little confused about..

Read the Watch / Warning dialogues. For the watches where Lehigh, Montco, Bucks, etc. it says "Snow: 4 inches". Yet in the forecast discussion is says 3 - 7 inches.

For anyone under the Warning criteria (example, Huntderdon County) the Warning dialogue says "6 - 9 inches". Yet their forecast discussion also says 3 - 7 inches. I'm a little puzzled on that.

Not that it matters since its going to snow, and we all know it will be most likely between 3-6" in most of eastern PA, but why doesn't the NWS overlap advisories/watches and warnings for certain areas.....too confusing for the public, I guess?

For example: Mont. County has a Winter Storm Watch, but why not issue an Winter Weather Advisory as well since the chance of say 2-4 inches of snow is nearly 100%. I see counties to the west in the CTP region have advisories for snow occuring at the same time as eastern PA.

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the criteria's different for certain areas as far as watches, warning and advisories? I know up here in the mtns. 6+" is a winter storm warning whereas Delaware country would be 4+" for the same type of warning.

D

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the criteria's different for certain areas as far as watches, warning and advisories? I know up here in the mtns. 6+" is a winter storm warning whereas Delaware country would be 4+" for the same type of warning.

D

Well, what I'm talking about is not logic anymore, they changed it anyone west of Delaware 3 - 5" Watch = 4 in. or more. With the Warning counties they left 3 - 7" Warning = 6 - 9in. So they fiddled with it a little bit since my post.

But to answer your question, I don't know if I'm right here but each office has their own set criteria as to what differentiates warnings, watches, etc.

D

Yes they do, I don't exactly know where certain counties fall though. Like I said, this just makes for interesting debate and I'm sure someone from the NWS who posts on here will clear it up.

The remaining "watch" in the eastern PA counties is the right call over a warning, but at the same time, (if certain criteria is met) I would think an advisory should be hoisted in the mean time while we wait on exactly trying to pin down where the heavy snows set up Tuesday evening just to give that area a heads up. To me a "watch" may lead people to think the storm may not happen.

NJZ009-010-012>015-020-111100-

/O.UPG.KPHI.WS.A.0002.110111T2100Z-110112T1500Z/

/O.COR.KPHI.WS.W.0002.110111T2100Z-110112T1700Z/

HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-EASTERN MONMOUTH-

MERCER-OCEAN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...

NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...TRENTON...JACKSON

354 PM EST MON JAN 10 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM TUESDAY TO NOON EST

WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM TUESDAY TO

NOON EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING: THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO START LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON OR

TUESDAY EVENING...THEN BECOME STEADIER AND HEAVIER TUESDAY

NIGHT. THE SNOW SHOULD TAPER TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS BY

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS: SNOW WILL STICK TO ROADWAYS...ESPECIALLY BUT NOT

EXCLUSIVELY UNTREATED ONES. SNOWFALL RATES WILL CAUSE THE

VISIBILITY TO DROP TO OR BELOW ONE-HALF MILE FOR A PERIOD OF

TIME. DRIVING WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS. THE TUESDAY EVENING AND

WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTES EACH MAY BE HAZARDOUS. WINDS ARE

EXPECTED TO INCREASE AFTER THE SNOWFALL...AND BLOWING AND

DRIFTING OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED LATER ON WEDNESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE

EXPECTED...AND THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR

IMPOSSIBLE.

Yes they do, I don't exactly know where certain counties fall though. Like I said, this just makes for interesting debate and I'm sure someone from the NWS who posts on here will clear it up.

The remaining "watch" in the eastern PA counties is the right call over a warning, but at the same time, (if certain criteria is met) I would think an advisory should be hoisted in the mean time while we wait on exactly trying to pin down where the heavy snows set up Tuesday evening just to give that area a heads up. To me a "watch" may lead people to think the storm may not happen.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/winter.html

Well, what I'm talking about is not logic anymore, they changed it anyone west of Delaware 3 - 5" Watch = 4 in. or more. With the Warning counties they left 3 - 7" Warning = 6 - 9in. So they fiddled with it a little bit since my post.

I am still at 3-7" here in Central Bucks and just in a watch

The remaining "watch" in the eastern PA counties is the right call over a warning, but at the same time, (if certain criteria is met) I would think an advisory should be hoisted in the mean time while we wait on exactly trying to pin down where the heavy snows set up Tuesday evening.

I think the NAM is lending to some uncertainty on how far west the coastal low will track. If the NAM was in a little more agreement w/ the heavy hitter models, they would feel more confident about posting advisories and knowing they would not reach warning level. ATTM these accum number seem to be right on that advisory, watch, warning line, north and west that is....

D

But to answer your question, I don't know if I'm right here but each office has their own set criteria as to what differentiates warnings, watches, etc.

They are keeping the Watch up due to the plus(+) after the 4". Quite simple. No need for an advisory yet since it's more then 24 hours out.

They are keeping the Watch up due to the plus(+) after the 4". Quite simple. No need for an advisory yet since it's more then 24 hours out.

This...the advisory/warning change will be tomorrow morning since the event will not start until after dinner to the north of Philly and that the potential that the snowfall may not quite reach 6".

As for NJ, it's a pretty clear cut 6"+ (or 4"+ in SNJ) event.

Archived