Newest Member
    Monty
PHL Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rolling with 4-7 for PHL.

The 6Z NAM is scary but probably overdone.

Heaviest snow falls in about a 6 hout window, a inch an hour possible.

Could see some convection during that time.

ERIC

Thanks Eric-- which 6 hour window would that be-- midnight to 6 am? Or more like 2 am to 8 am?

Wxsim going with a little more than the NWS point forecast....looks like as mentioned in the AFD - they went with a 3 to 5" total. Current Wxsim has 0.69" of qpf with a 5 to 8" forecast. Tough call for my area as Mt Holly sees the heavier banding staying just east of my area here in NW Chesco.

Should be interesting!

Paul

www.chescowx.com

Hey Eric,

Yeh, you got me checking the 6z NAM.. Yeh that would be scary if we did see that verify.. Your probably right about the NAM being too extreme. Anyway, what caught my eyes was after looking at the forecast my county.. Thundersnow possible tonight.. So, it should be a very interesting night for sure.. I'll have to try to do some filming tonight, although need to be near better lighting..

Rolling with 4-7 for PHL.

The 6Z NAM is scary but probably overdone.

Heaviest snow falls in about a 6 hout window, a inch an hour possible.

Could see some convection during that time.

ERIC

Hey Eric,

Yeh, you got me checking the 6z NAM.. Yeh that would be scary if we did see that verify.. Your probably right about the NAM being too extreme. Anyway, what caught my eyes was after looking at the forecast my county.. Thundersnow possible tonight.. So, it should be a very interesting night for sure.. I'll have to try to do some filming tonight, although need to be near better lighting..

Hey, did you read the post in the main forum about lightning producing antimatter? So we might be producing some antimatter tonight ;)

Just a quick question.

Since the timing of the tranfer and location of the surface low is so critical to the QPF, isn't there a fairly high bust potential?

The models are handling the midwestern closed low quite well and the surface low passed just to east of buoy 41013, so its tucked in along the western periphery of solutions, don't know what would amount to as a bust in your eyes, but I feel pretty confident about us reaching warning criteria in most of our counties.

The models are handling the midwestern closed low quite well and the surface low passed just to east of buoy 41013, so its tucked in along the western periphery of solutions, don't know what would amount to as a bust in your eyes, but I feel pretty confident about us reaching warning criteria in most of our counties.

Hey Tony you wrote some very informative AFD's the last couple of days. :thumbsup:

Thanks Tony. Keep it in the short grass when we get a thaw.

With it currently being tucked in along the western periphery of solutions, does this mean the NAM is more likely to verify? Seemed to be a pretty large disparity of precip between the NAM and GFS...

From Mt holly 755 am update:

FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE DELAWARE VALLEY...THIS IS A TOUGHER CALL.

IT WOULD APPEAR AS THOUGH EASTERN CHESTER AND LOWER MONTGOMERY AND

LOWER BUCKS COUNTY MAY GET INTO THE BANDING FOR A TIME LATE TONIGHT.

SINCE THE LOWER PORTIONS OF THESE COUNTIES SHOULD SEE 6 INCHES OF

SNOW...ALL OF THE ABOVE AREAS WILL BE UPGRADED TO WINTER STORM

WARNINGS. FINALLY...IT WOULD APPEAR AS THOUGH EASTERN MARYLAND MAY

BE TOO FAR WEST FOR THE BEST MID LEVEL LIFT TO HAVE MUCH IMPACT.

SINCE MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE DECENT...THESE AREAS SHOULD GET TO

SOLID ADVISORY CRITERIA...BUT NOT MORE.

MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES GREATER THAN 7 C/KM WILL CROSS SOUTHERN AREAS

TONIGHT. THERE IS ELEVATED INSTABILITY TO THE SOUTHWEST EARLY THIS

MORNING...AND THIS COULD ALLOW SLANTED CONVECTION TO PRODUCE STRONG

ENOUGH UPDRAFTS FOR LIGHTNING DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS IN

THESE AREAS.

WINDS MAY BECOME A FACTOR LATE TONIGHT NEAR THE COAST AS THE SURFACE

SYSTEM STARTS WINDING UP AS THE SHORT WAVES PHASE. LOWS TONIGHT WERE

BASED ON A MOS BLEND

rest can be found HERE

Noteworthy interim update from Mt. Holly (more thanks) as to the placement of the developing SLP:

"THROUGH THE 12Z OBS, A EURO AND CAN GGEM COMBO IS WORKING THE BEST

WITH THE DEVELOPING SFC LOW, TUCKED IN CLOSER TO THE COAST THAN

THE OTHER MODELS. AT 500MB ITS ABOUT THE SAME, NOT MUCH OF A

DIFFERENCE BUT THE FORMER IS CLOSEST. ALL THE MODELS ARE HANDLING

THE MIDWESTERN CLOSED LOW EQUALLY AND QUITE WELL. LAST WALLOPS IS

ALREADY UP TO +1C AT 850MB, ALL OF THE MODELS WERE TOO COLD WITH

THEIR FCST 850MB TEMPS, WITH THE GFS THE CLOSEST. THIS ADDS THE

POSSIBILITY OF MORE NON SNOW PTYPE ISSUES ALONG OUR COAST. NO

CHANGES FOR NOW WILL HAVE THE FIRST 24HRS IN ON BOTH MODELS FOR

THE 11 AM UPDATE."

Guest stormchaser

Noteworthy interim update from Mt. Holly (more thanks) as to the placement of the developing SLP:

THE 11 AM UPDATE."

Definitely good if you are hoping for that more west solution. Not so much if you are living on the coast watching that precip line

gigi out! (ryan seacrest style):snowman:

BTW...if I were to hit a solid 3W, keep it down, the surface of our snow pack here is like concrete.....it would be the longest "cart path" shot ever!!! Might head over to Allaire and give it a try....

Keep up the great work Tony! One thing going against this one becoming a monster is I AM NOT IN THE POCONOS! ;)

THE 11 AM UPDATE."

has been a concern.....both 6z gfs and nam had rain in coastal monmouth.......anytime you live at the coast a western trend is only your friend if it stops...like boxing day. I believe mixing is a common issue for miller B setup.....but it appears to be limited to the immediate coast.

Wxsim going with a little more than the NWS point forecast....looks like as mentioned in the AFD - they went with a 3 to 5" total. Current Wxsim has 0.69" of qpf with a 5 to 8" forecast. Tough call for my area as Mt Holly sees the heavier banding staying just east of my area here in NW Chesco.

Should be interesting!

Paul

www.chescowx.com

Lets keep that banding just south east of your area :whistle:

why do the models continually back off of qpf right before the storm....the past few systems ive gone from alot to a little....went from .75-1.00 qpf on the 6z to .25 -.50 on the 12z and I probably wont even see that (with the past few storms as a track record).

Archived