NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS CAMP SPRINGS MD

0253Z TUE JAN 11 2011

00Z NCEP PROD IS ON SCHD WITH NAM TO POST PROCESSING

AND THE GFS UNDERWAY. 30 CAN 6 MEX AND 3 CARIB RAOBS

WERE ABVL FOR THE GFS. ALSO 8 DROPSONDE AND 13 FLIGHT

LEVEL RECON REPORTS OVER THE WESTERN ATLC WERE AVBL FOR

THE GFS IN SUPPORT OF THE DEVLPG AND POTENTIALLY MAJOR

EAST COAST STORM. RAOB UPDATE...

XMR/74794 - DELETED TEMPS 719-690 MB...WET-BULB EFFECT.

$$

Well, that's interesting. I really hadn't considered what's been happening downstream. I wonder how much of an effect that will have. IIRC, the Euro should be getting these too, which if it makes a difference wrt to the NAM, will manifest there with its finer resolution.

For what its worth, the GFS is getting a little help with more data:

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS CAMP SPRINGS MD

0253Z TUE JAN 11 2011

00Z NCEP PROD IS ON SCHD WITH NAM TO POST PROCESSING

AND THE GFS UNDERWAY. 30 CAN 6 MEX AND 3 CARIB RAOBS

WERE ABVL FOR THE GFS. ALSO 8 DROPSONDE AND 13 FLIGHT

LEVEL RECON REPORTS OVER THE WESTERN ATLC WERE AVBL FOR

THE GFS IN SUPPORT OF THE DEVLPG AND POTENTIALLY MAJOR

EAST COAST STORM. RAOB UPDATE...

XMR/74794 - DELETED TEMPS 719-690 MB...WET-BULB EFFECT.

$

good data in , good data out

Mike will winter storm warnings be issued for ABE in the next few hours?

I have another sneaky feeling the Ensembles will come in Wetter and West.. GFS still not handling the maturation of the storm that well..Maybe tomorrow morning it will finally get it.. Euro will be interesting later but all the short range hi res models will now be just as handy.Even considering this GFS I would still be going for 4-8 around Philly 8-12 much of NJ 12-18 NYC and LI.. Of course a Slight jog west(which still could happen) could put Philly in the 8-12 zone..

I have another sneaky feeling the Ensembles will come in Wetter and West.. GFS still not handling the maturation of the storm that well..Maybe tomorrow morning it will finally get it.. Euro will be interesting later but all the short range hi res models will now be just as handy.Even considering this GFS I would still be going for 4-8 around Philly 8-12 much of NJ 12-18 NYC and LI.. Of course a Slight jog west(which still could happen) could put Philly in the 8-12 zone..

4-8 can still happen on this GFS in Philly (or at least, 4 can still happen... only need 13:1 ratios). 12 is a big stretch in NYC though if you are really considering the GFS... you'd need 20:1 ratios with the GFS QPF to get 12" at NYC.

Any headline changes will probably wait until the early morning issuance once all the new guidance has been looked through.

Thanks. Still not sure ABE reaches 6 inches looking at latest model runs, but I will leave it to professionals like you. You do a great job.

Thanks. Still not sure ABE reaches 6 inches looking at latest model runs, but I will leave it to professionals like you. You do a great job.

Considering the NAM brings .50 (.46 tech) to ABE..and the NAM at least in low positioning is similar to what the ECM ensembles were...I do not think 6 inches will be hard to achieve at ABE..

19:1 ratio for ABE isn't happening. I'd believe a 13:1 and 6" to be closer to the eventual truth.

Many meteorologists would agree with you. It looks like these snow "storm totals" are from the Iowa State hourly tables and not from the Bufkit tool. The two tools apply different snow algorithms. If you use the latest Bufkit (version 10.11) tool you get snow totals more aligned with your assessment:

00z NAM IA State Tables Bufkit Toolkit v10.11

Snow Ratios Snow Accumulation/Max Temp

ABE 8.7" 5.4"

RDG 7.1" 4.6"

PHL 10.2" 5.8"

ACY 8.0" 7.3"

TTN 11.6" 6.7"

MDT 5.3" 3.3"

ILG 7.3" 3.9"

While the actual Bufkit snow totals seem more reasonable, but that doesn't mean much yet. I guess we'll see which technique is more representative for this event by Wednesday.

In the future, if someone posts really excessive "Bufkit snow totals", you should ask them if they used the Iowa State tables or the latest Bufkit toolkit snow accumulation totals. That way, after the event, you can properly apply your "lessons learned."

Many meteorologists would agree with you. It looks like these snow "storm totals" are from the Iowa State hourly tables and not from the Bufkit tool. The two tools apply different snow algorithms. If you use the latest Bufkit (version 10.11) tool you get snow totals more aligned with your assessment:

00z NAM IA State Tables Bufkit Toolkit v10.11

Snow Ratios Snow Accumulation/Max Temp

ABE 8.7" 5.4"

RDG 7.1" 4.6"

PHL 10.2" 5.8"

ACY 8.0" 7.3"

TTN 11.6" 6.7"

MDT 5.3" 3.3"

ILG 7.3" 3.9"

While the actual Bufkit snow totals seem more reasonable, but that doesn't mean much yet. I guess we'll see which technique is more representative for this event by Wednesday.

In the future, if someone posts really excessive "Bufkit snow totals", you should ask them if they used the Iowa State tables or the latest Bufkit toolkit snow accumulation totals. That way, after the event, you can properly apply your "lessons learned."

Its the cobb method from Bufkit warehouse http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/bufkit.html

I'm not vouching for its accuracy anymore than others do when the post the clown maps from Wxcaster.

Archived