Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
PHL Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It means more QPF for the places that get hit, but a small precip shield overall, if that makes sense.

Yeah, no kidding...81 corridor struggles to reach 0.25 QPF.

No matter what the scenario, east or west, we still get fringed. What ever happened to the coastals that gave everyone from central pa on east a good healthy foot of snow? Storms such as 83 and 96 come to mind.

No matter what the scenario, east or west, we still get fringed. What ever happened to the coastals that gave everyone from central pa on east a good healthy foot of snow? Storms such as 83 and 96 come to mind.

This is a Miller B, so you should know better than to expect that from this one.

The Miller A on 12/26 was a somewhat different story...

It means more QPF for the places that get hit, but a small precip shield overall, if that makes sense.

yea i bet phl, has hgr qpf than 18z, even though it looks like they may have less with how the qpf shrunk on the west side....I wonder if this is a case where if we get a more amplified northern stream with stronger h5 its slower at transferring to the coastal giving a more widespread qpf distribution. While a less amplified norther stream and not as strong h5, but faster northren stream leads to a quicker transfer and more compact qpf field, but higher totals

This is a Miller B, so you should know better than to expect that from this one.

The Miller A on 12/26 was a somewhat different story...

Yes, I know. Frustration kicking in I guess. Hopefully, as another poster mentioned, ratios will help us out a little. Do you think 15:1 is a possibility?

yea i bet phl, has hgr qpf than 18z, even though it looks like they may have less with how the qpf shrunk on the west side....I wonder if this is a case where if we get a more amplified northern stream with stronger h5 its slower at transferring to the coastal giving a more widespread qpf distribution. While a less amplified norther stream and not as strong h5, but faster northren stream leads to a quicker transfer and more compact qpf field, but higher totals

That's pretty much the story. Good post.

Yes, I know. Frustration kicking in I guess. Hopefully, as another poster mentioned, ratios will help us out a little. Do you think 15:1 is a possibility?

Possible, sure. I try not to bet on ratios, though. Got screwed with 10:1 on 12/26 while areas east with more precip also had better ratios...

Possible, sure. I try not to bet on ratios, though. Got screwed with 10:1 on 12/26 while areas east with more precip also had better ratios...

well to help him out, that blizzard had strong winds which cut the ratios down. This storm wont have those kind of winds, so ratios could be higher cause of that factor

well to help him out, that blizzard had strong winds which cut the ratios down. This storm wont have those kind of winds, so ratios could be higher cause of that factor

While true... just imagine how high ratios might've been in the superband on 12/26 if there wasn't as much wind :arrowhead:

LOL,no, I got screwed in Newark, DE where we were perhaps 25 mi from a non-moving deformation band. Snowed lightly all day and we got a whopping 3", perhaps less. This storm might also have an unforgiving gradient rapidly getting worse to the S&W of PHL.

Archived