Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need to install a new radar up there to get better coverage. Friday night he had 5-10dbz echoes overhead and was snowing at M1/4SM. Miracles happen up there!!!

Really? I'm surprised it's not the opposite. You'd think all the falling acorns would contaminate the radar.

Great I will miss another good snowstorm for SNE. However this looks primarily rain for me out on the Cape with this storm. Its too bad the flow ahead of the large sub-tropical disturbance is too fast and strong and therefore will allow the disturbance to shear out ahead of the northern stream, I mean look at all of that lightning over the western GOM and that large beautiful water vapor imagery of this system. It is too bad they don't phase.

12z NAM looks like thunder-snowstorms for NYC-BOS....

This is much less a Miller A modeled system and more of a NJ model low. What is going on here is complex - perhaps misleading to some degree. There is a lead S/W (now) over Texas that is giving the deep south headaches. The mid level support for that is attenuating, and will all but completely abolish by 00z Tuesday, but not before inducing a weak surface reflection that migrates eastward along the southern rim of the cP air mass, lopping overrunning snow and ice enough to through up warnings down there. However, this wave of low pressure gets orphaned by the said weakening governing dynamics.

Meanwhile, a much stronger full trough ejection out of the west will be fully underway by 00z Tuesday. This next short wave has a very intense jet max(es) associated, enough to drill over 40 units of vorticity almost normal to the geopotential medium - all that is missing is moisture. This is where it gets really yucky.

That leading southern stream impulse and weak juicy wave of low pressure is actually during the interim stealing moisture from the more polarward stream dynamics. This is why there is only a weak amorphous area of low pressure moving ENE from the MV to the upper MA Coast over the next 36 hours. What happens next is intriguing. It eventually latches on to said vestigial circulation as it trundles calling for mommy off the southeast U.S. coast. The orphaned SE Coastal low gets pulled N and it is not until it's moisture supply gets involved do we see the surface wave more than less bomb moving ENE away from the NJ Coast.

I see a track to this similar to 9 December 2005. I suspect an intense thermal compression forms just S of LI with this cP air mass residing over the shelf waters S of LI. That region is likely to generate a very upright frontal slope as the nose of the jet max at mid levels enters the region and excites lift. The incoming lower level WAA responses will slam into this cP denser air mass and be tilted very proficiently skyward. This mechanically forced ascent, also having the benefit of the orphaned waves moisture supply, will tap into the jet core at mid levels and that is when things rock 'n' roll. Immediately on the polar ward side of this baroclinic axis there will like be a band or parallel bands of -EPV and some impressive frontogenics at work. I see that QPF eruption in the NAM at 72 hours over much of NJ, going from a paltry 6-hourly .25" liq equiv to nearly 1.25" 6-hour equiv in a flash as being about equally synoptic driven but also convective in nature. This whole package of fun and games then lifts NE...bathing much of SNE with S+/S++ with occasional lighting.

The sun may actually come out later in the day on Wednesday.

Great I will miss another good snowstorm for SNE. However this looks primarily rain for me out on the Cape with this storm. Its too bad the flow ahead of the large sub-tropical disturbance is too fast and strong and therefore will allow the disturbance to shear out ahead of the northern stream, I mean look at all of that lightning over the western GOM and that large beautiful water vapor imagery of this system. It is too bad they don't phase.

Aside from the NAM.. you are getting mostly snow on most models

12z NAM looks like thunder-snowstorms for NYC-BOS....

This is much less a Miller A modeled system and more of a NJ model low. What is going on here is complex - perhaps misleading to some degree. There is a lead S/W (now) over Texas that is giving the deep south headaches. The mid level support for that is attenuating, and will all but completely abolish by 00z Tuesday, but not before inducing a weak surface reflection that migrates eastward along the southern rim of the cP air mass, lopping overrunning snow and ice enough to through up warnings down there. However, this wave of low pressure gets orphaned by the said weakening governing dynamics.

Meanwhile, a much stronger full trough ejection out of the west will be fully underway by 00z Tuesday. This next short wave has a very intense jet max(es) associated, enough to drill over 40 units of vorticity almost normal to the geopotential medium - all that is missing is moisture. This is where it gets really yucky.

That leading southern stream impulse and weak juicy wave of low pressure is actually during the interim stealing moisture from the more polarward stream dynamics. This is way there is only a weak amorphous area of low pressure moving ENE from the MV to the upper MA Coast over the next 36 hours. What happens next is intriguing. It eventually latches on to said vestigial circulation as it trundles calling for mommy off the southeast U.S. coast. The orphaned SE Coastal low gets pulled N and it is not until it's moisture supply gets involved do we see the surface wave more than less bomb moving ENE away from the NJ Coast.

I see a track to this similar to 9 December 2005. I suspect an intense thermal compression forms just S of LI with this cP air mass residing over the shelf waters S of LI. That region is likely to generate a very upright frontal slope as the nose of the jet max at mid levels enters the region and excites lift. The incoming lower level WAA responses will slam into this cP denser air mass and be tilted very proficiently skyward. This mechanically forced ascent, also having the benefit of the orphaned waves moisture supply, will tap into the jet core at mid levels and that is when things rock 'n' roll. Immediately on the polar ward side of this baroclinic axis there will like be a band or parallel bands of -EPV and some impressive frontogenics at work. I see that QPF eruption in the NAM at 72 hours over much of NJ, going from a paltry 6-hourly .25" liq equiv to nearly 1.25" 6-hour equiv in a flash as being about equally synoptic driven but also convective in nature. This whole package of fun and games then lifts NE...bathing much of SNE with S+/S++ with occasional lighting.

The sun may actually come out later in the day on Wednesday.

Archived