Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be fooled by the track of the surface low. This run stinks for a lot of the region; basically screws us. Everything is lined up perfectly for a huge dump of snow in northern NJ and SE NY, and it looks like that oughtta translate northeast with the surface low. Problem is that the mid level low is still very progressive. Doesn't matter if it looks like the surface low slows down, the mid level low is still booking it east. It actually keeps redeveloping eastward too, as it gets sheared out by the intense gradient flow. One of the times it redevelops on this run is from eastern PA over toward the Gulf of Maine. That's a big jump, and one that significantly limits the duration of CCB enhanced snowfall over the area. QPF is likely OVERDONE in portions of southeast New England with major dryslot issues. And then they basically go from dryslot to backside flurries as the CCB skips right over. Two jackpot areas on this run are northern NJ and SE NY, and then downeast ME, with a large screwzone in between.

The saving grace hopefully to all this is that its a 84hr depiction of the NAM, So my guess this far out that this probably will not be the final outcome.........

Don't be fooled by the track of the surface low. This run stinks for a lot of the region; basically screws us. Everything is lined up perfectly for a huge dump of snow in northern NJ and SE NY, and it looks like that oughtta translate northeast with the surface low. Problem is that the mid level low is still very progressive. Doesn't matter if it looks like the surface low slows down, the mid level low is still booking it east. It actually keeps redeveloping eastward too, as it gets sheared out by the intense gradient flow. One of the times it redevelops on this run is from eastern PA over toward the Gulf of Maine. That's a big jump, and one that significantly limits the duration of CCB enhanced snowfall over the area. QPF is likely OVERDONE in portions of southeast New England with major dryslot issues. And then they basically go from dryslot to backside flurries as the CCB skips right over. Two jackpot areas on this run are northern NJ and SE NY, and then downeast ME, with a large screwzone in between.

I'm interpreting this as you think most of SNE is essentially a screw zone?? That's hard for me to believe.

Wxwatcher makes a good point

though its the 84 hr NAM with some serious discontinuity from previous runs, which should tell you all you need to know.

the major point im seeing is a shift in the ULL south and east over the OV towards the coast and less of a primary and hangback snows over the OV/lake region.

bascially its just trending towards the euro/GFS compromise lol

The saving grace hopefully to all this is that its a 84hr depiction of the NAM, So my guess this far out that this probably will not be the final outcome.........

Yeah, can't take this verbatim.

However, the progressive theme is consistent on all the model guidance, and I think that's one thing everyone has to keep in mind. This will likely be a 6 hour dump for most, with some light snow on the backside, which significantly limits QPF. There WILL likely be a small jackpot area where the duration of heavy snow is prolonged (probably with10-16") that occurs before the 500mb low "redevelops" eastward and a there WILL likely be downstream screwzone (with generally 6-10") .

Unless we see some significant changes with regards to compressibility over the southeast US.

By the way, I'm not complaining. I'm fine with 6-10", but just trying to keep a level head here

Not to be rude but Sam, are you off your rocker?, this is a totally different animal. Look at the 7 h Rh and 8 h inflow, you CANOT compare this to 12/26 , totally different, the dry slot in EMA is there but, look at your Kocin book, man Will mentioned March 60 , he is so on top of things.

lol which is ironic because he claims to upslope in any given flow regime.

He gets pissed if he hears anything about tolland getting the jackpot...ie...he prefers to get screwed b/c the season for him is not a race...it's a marathon.

He gets pissed if he hears anything about tolland getting the jackpot...ie...he prefers to get screwed b/c the season for him is not a race...it's a marathon.

I think we need to install a new radar up there to get better coverage. Friday night he had 5-10dbz echoes overhead and was snowing at M1/4SM. Miracles happen up there!!!

Not to be rude but Sam, are you off your rocker?, this is a totally different animal. Look at the 7 h Rh and 8 h inflow, you CANOT compare this to 12/26 , totally different, the dry slot in EMA is there but, look at your Kocin book, man Will mentioned March 60 , he is so on top of things.

ginx it was S box wx who made the comparison for 12/26 although that may be not far from what sam was implying?

Archived