Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models are just a tool....I wouldn't get too hung up on the QPF because the only limiting factor we have is that the system is relatively progreessive.....last event there were several, whether we chose to acknowledge them or not.

I'm willing to bet the QPF goes up within the final 12-24 hrs preceeeding go-time.

Don't worry about that....we are going to see some nice isentropic lift ith this, unlike the last one; the outskirts will do better than modeled.

Kind of like Jan 2005. Not comparing but the track is just about what Euro is showing. Areas well NW got buried.

Kind of like Jan 2005. Not comparing but the track is just about what Euro is showing. Areas well NW got buried.

Yeah you can get a large area of heavy snows....it doesn't have to just be in a narrow band. This is the type of ULL depiction you want to see to get that wider range. Jan '05 the Cape got 3 feet but I had 2 feet out here 75-80 miles away.

Just how juicy this trends remains to be seen, but I could see a reasonably wide area of the heavy snows in this....whether thats 10-13" or 18-20" remains to be seen..its also remains to be seen where that zone of heavy snow is...it is most of populous SNE or is it further NW or SE?

I understand the analogy you are drawing and it's a good one....this H5 low is like a meteorological Prince Fielder; the waistline of the S+ will not be contained within the belt buckle of I 95.

MIDWEST TO MID ATLC/NORTHEAST...

BROAD CENTRAL U.S. TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO PUSH EAST WITH SHRTWV

ENERGY SHEARING ACROSS THE OH VALLEY. LGT TO MDT SNOW OVER THE

MIDWEST WILL FOCUS WITHIN THE FAVORABLE UPPER DIVERGENT PATTERN

AND ALONG EXTENSIVE SFC TROUGH FROM IL TO PA AS WEAK SFC WAVE

FORMS ALONG THE BNDRY. AS THE BULK OF THE UPPER ENERGY CROSSES

THE APPALACHIANS...A MUCH STRONGER SFC LOW IS PROGGED TO INTENSIFY

ALONG THE EAST COAST TUES INTO WEDS. ECMWF/GFS SUGGEST THAT HVST

PRECIP WILL ALIGN CLOSE TO THE COAST FROM NJ TO SRN NEW ENG...BUT

A SLIGHTLY MORE WWD TRACK WOULD PRODUCE HVY SNOW TOTALS FARTHER

INLAND AS INDICATED BY A NUMBER OF THE ENSEMBLE MEMBERS AND THE

21Z SREF MEAN. BL TEMPS MAY ALSO BE WARM ENOUGH FOR RAIN ALONG

PORTIONS OF THE COAST...ESPECIALLY CAPE COD.

Well, the 03z SREF mean seems pretty close to CC for a sfc low track and the smoothed 7h looks to dryslot a good portion of coastal S NE but keeps interior moist. I would say that's probably the best forecast right now, maybe farther SE with slp than CC. May or may not be right.

got woken up by a freaking banging porch door I forgot to lock. so of course, had to take a peek. For up here I feel good and confident of a solid advisory snow. Not that sinking feeling but would like it to trend a bit nw. At this stage how do the GFS ens do vs. the OP in this kind of scenarios? I see they are nw. I saw the dgex....as much as I'd like to, can't go there. HPC discussion prelim was kinda strange. "snowstorm clipping the NE" Didn't say a lot in the discussion. The prelim graphic has a 992 inside the benchmark though. Gonna be a close call. Interesting, haven't had a truly classic coastal since i moved up here mar 08...really don't know how this area does and don't know how things tend to trend in this kind of setup. Will be a good learning experience for me.

Good morning all.

got woken up by a freaking banging porch door I forgot to lock. so of course, had to take a peek. For up here I feel good and confident of a solid advisory snow. Not that sinking feeling but would like it to trend a bit nw. At this stage how do the GFS ens do vs. the OP in this kind of scenarios? I see they are nw. I saw the dgex....as much as I'd like to, can't go there. HPC discussion prelim was kinda strange. "snowstorm clipping the NE" Didn't say a lot in the discussion. The prelim graphic has a 992 inside the benchmark though. Gonna be a close call. Interesting, haven't had a truly classic coastal since i moved up here mar 08...really don't know how this area does and don't know how things tend to trend in this kind of setup. Will be a good learning experience for me.

Good morning all.

You are NW of CON, right?...that's not a bad spot for this setup, if the track is well inside the BM. BM track means you and I both miss out so let's hope for a Cape Cod cruiser.

You are NW of CON, right?...that's not a bad spot for this setup, if the track is well inside the BM. BM track means you and I both miss out so let's hope for a Cape Cod cruiser.

yup that's where I am...700 ft or so 15 miles nw of CON. Benchmark track would still give advisory I think. CC would be awesome for us. We really haven't had a classic coastal like this since I moved here have we? Wasn't able to remember one. 08-09 was pretty much all swfe action, 09=10 had a swfe or two and the fooking retrograder and the boxing day coastal was a bit of a strange set up, not classic coastal for us.

Archived