Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ggem out to 84 and it is SE of previous runs. .5" qpf along south coast and CC while inland areas have about .25" still snowing. deff look NOTHING like the nam

Its actually more amped than the 12z run...did you see how pathetic 12z was?

Has anymore mentioned this event? We all know what happened in thit event. Quick hitting blockbuster!

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2005/us1209.php

Fcst pattern looks similar.

They way the 500 cuts off and drives E just screams a heavy hitter. 12z ECMWF has low going from about

995 to 979 mb in just 6 hr from 90-96 hr just of S us! Good comma head shows up over SNE as well.

I wonder about the 00z NAM 84 hr low position/strength...after that, it should bomb close to SNE.

I have never seen an event quite like 12/9/05. True whiteout w/ SNOINCR 5. Most interesting was

the way the S+ abruptly end as the sun was going down. Dark to the E and bright to the W...more like a

tstm. By 11pm, there was zip wind. Not what you would expect for a departing typical nor'easter.

Has anymore mentioned this event? We all know what happened in thit event. Quick hitting blockbuster!

http://www.meteo.psu...2005/us1209.php

By far my favorite snow storm of all time. Was walking home from school when it blew up. Kinda eerie walking outside in a blizzard with thunder and lightning. But awesome as well.

http://www.meteo.psu...2005/us1209.php

Fcst pattern looks similar.

They way the 500 cuts off and drives E just screams a heavy hitter. 12z ECMWF has low going from about

995 to 979 mb in just 6 hr from 90-96 hr just of S us! Good comma head shows up over SNE as well.

I wonder about the 00z NAM 84 hr low position/strength...after that, it should bomb close to SNE.

I have never seen an event quite like 12/9/05. True whiteout w/ SNOINCR 5. Most interesting was

the way the S+ abruptly end as the sun was going down. Dark to the E and bright to the W...more like a

tstm. By 11pm, there was zip wind. Not what you would expect for a departing typical nor'easter.

Yeah 5h just digs E like a backhoe on some of these solutions. Mar 1960 did that too. I think we'll see some pretty interesting solutions over the next couple days....its going to have a lot of juice to it I think.

Is there any concern that models are suffering from the same afflictions with this next system or were thoughts that the pattern is different important? IE, we may have some model stability this time?

Overall pretty good agreement being consistently modeled this far out.........

too bad it's pretty progressive. Will definitely limit QPF which is one reason I'm not gung ho about a large swath of 12+" like DT is suggesting. I'll put together a map in the morning, but right now I'm thinking 6-10" for central and southern New England with a small stripe of 10"+ near/east of ORH

Archived