Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January GENERAL BANTER

oconeexman

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a dumb question that you can answer yourself by going to official sources and reading the model output, or just reading what the mets have already said about the issue.

If you didn't like my question and thought it was dumb then there was no need for you to respond. Just keep your mouth shut and move on. Why people put up with you here is beyond me. You just tell me where the "official sources" are and I'll go there.

I want to be wrong but I've seen this same scenario many times. It usually doesn't turn out well.

Me too, and no it doesn't. And with that, time to head on over to the storm thread to get the play by play of the GFS run so that all our hopes and dreams can be completely crushed once and for all.

If you didn't like my question and thought it was dumb then there was no need for you to respond. Just keep your mouth shut and move on. Why people put up with you here is beyond me. You just tell me where the "official sources" are and I'll go there.

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gif ICE STORM TYPESclear.gifsfthumb1-apwinterstorm.jpg"Nuisance"

(less than 1/4 inch of ice)

• Windshields coated
  • Bridges tricky
  • Light ice on trees

"Disruptive"

(1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice)

• Tree limbs sag
  • Most roads icy
  • Power outages

"Crippling"

(1/2 inch or more of ice)

• Widespread tree and powerline damage
  • Roads impassable or dangerous

(Source: The Weather Channel)

clear.gif

Maybe they should read this board.

They probably don't want to because of you and me.

Also, they have a job where they have to look at weather all day and they probably don't want to come here and look at weenie ramblings all night. I imagine they have families and actual lives and would find this place depressing and unhealthy.

Brick, look at it this way concerning RAH NWS.

Yes, the models are drying us out, however there's a storm developing to our south . CAD building as we speak and zero hour is on MONDAY. The players are there that can make things nasty no matter the model technology and readings at present. Now there's a chance moisture will build enough in central NC, albeit chances are slimming. Still, you cannot take that error-risk when people are backing out of their driveways on Monday. Maybe had this been a Sunday morning they would have started with a WWA and upgraded, but plans need to be made for the start of the work week.

I know I'm a newbie but I would really appreciate it if someone answered my earlier question. I'm really getting worried about ice in the Triangle. I would just like to know how much ice could we get and still be safe? I mean, are we good with .25" or can that cause major power outages? My Journalism degree didn't give me any expertise in meteorology so I would like to get some opinions from the experts. Thank you in advance!

This link is a copy of the most up to date forecast for RDU from the NWS.......http://www.daculaweather.com/afd_rah.php

IT explains best what to expect at this time w/ regards to ice in our area.

And yes, 0.25" of ice with winds can topple trees onto power lines.

This link is a copy of the most up to date forecast for RDU from the NWS.......http://www.daculaweather.com/afd_rah.php

IT explains best what to expect at this time w/ regards to ice in our area.

And yes, 0.25" of ice with winds can topple trees onto power lines.

Why link to daculaweather when you can link to the actual NWS site?

Spam spam spam spam SPAM

Brick, look at it this way concerning RAH NWS.

Yes, the models are drying us out, however there's a storm developing to our south . CAD building as we speak and zero hour is on MONDAY. The players are there that can make things nasty no matter the model technology and readings at present. Now there's a chance moisture will build enough in central NC, albeit chances are slimming. Still, you cannot take that error-risk when people are backing out of their driveways on Monday. Maybe had this been a Sunday morning they would have started with a WWA and upgraded, but plans need to be made for the start of the work week.

Finally, a real answer. Thanks. So, even though the models showing it dryer now, the players are still there on the field and there is a chance we could get a significant storm.

I love me some foothills, but I swear, every single model run, he says the H5 setup is looking better and better, but the QPF and thermal fields keep looking worse and worse. I love his optimism, and I know he knows a heck of a lot more about this than I ever will, but I just can't see how things are trending better. Does not compute. Does not compute.

I love me some foothills, but I swear, every single model run, he says the H5 setup is looking better and better, but the QPF and thermal fields keep looking worse and worse. I love his optimism, and I know he knows a heck of a lot more about this than I ever will, but I just can't see how things are trending better. Does not compute. Does not compute.

Yeah, this is part of the reason why I am confused and don't know who to believe.

.25 ice is the tipping point in many cases generally. Above that nasty things can start happening. Snapping noises outside, transformers popping nearby, brown-outs.

...and the really scary sight of steel blue arc-light flashes in the distance...by then though your power is going or gone.

Finally, a real answer. Thanks. So, even though the models showing it dryer now, the players are still there on the field and there is a chance we could get a significant storm.

Yes. A winter storm watch is to alert the public that winter-storm conditions are possible. Which fits the current situation.

There's always a chance...just a much better chance (currently) we will not.

Archived