Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January GENERAL BANTER

oconeexman

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm uploading it to Youtube right now. The quality is decent, but since I recorded it on my camera as opposed to a typical video camera (which I need to buy sometime), I didn't do a very good job holding it still and, thus, the video is really shaky.

You're near Greensboro right? That blob might clip me!

It looks like you and I are about seven miles apart. I didn't get the dusting you did, but the flakes were huge and sustained for a quarter hour or so.

Here's some pictures I snapped during the height of the snow. I had the video almost uploaded, then accidentally closed out of my Youtube tab, so I have to reupload. Ugh. It'll be up in awhile due to my horrible upload speeds.

DSC00495.jpg

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

great pics - and what most of us should be seeing soon :devilsmiley:

just had to post this here (didnt want to get deleted in the other thread :lol:)

:scooter::snowman: :snowman: :snowman: i am so excited i can hardly contain myself....so many of us are going to be able to post snow obs, and lookout, dawsonwx through here to oconeewx, lilj, gaston, gaffney etc. could all be getting 6"+ WO O HOO and cheez, itunis, dacula etc probably at least 4-6" (or more for all of us maybe) :popcorn:

ok. back to more self control :guitar:

Sort of away from the main topic presently at hand, but this is "January General Banter" --- The last 3 runs of the GFS are really showing a warm up after about the 15th. Let's hope you all get your snow before that happens, and lets hope that i) the GFS is wrong, or ii) its only a "thaw" (after all, I can't get up there this week, but am hoping for another winter event to come visit for in a couple weeks or so ....)

Anyway, if anyone wants to postulate on the latter part of the month, it would be interesting. :maprain:

Sort of away from the main topic presently at hand, but this is "January General Banter" --- The last 3 runs of the GFS are really showing a warm up after about the 15th. Let's hope you all get your snow before that happens, and lets hope that i) the GFS is wrong, or ii) its only a "thaw" (after all, I can't get up there this week, but am hoping for another winter event to come visit for in a couple weeks or so ....)

Anyway, if anyone wants to postulate on the latter part of the month, it would be interesting. :maprain:

eh, well i'd rather that not happen, and really hope it doesnt. but assuming we get plastered sunday night into monday, this winter will already be 1000 times better than i ever thought last fall (esp after last winter) and this winter will surprisingly rival last year so i guess i could handle it (not that we can change it anyway)

at some point, i fully expect a warm up, and once here it will probably last a while. cold spells and storminess like this rarely last as long as they already have this winter

of course remember, they were also showing a jan. warm up for a while. that turned out well, didnt it :guitar::popcorn:

Unfortunately WIS has become pretty clueless when it comes to winter weather, ever since the non-event of March 1, 2009 Ben Tanner is way gun shy. The new guy hasn't gotten his bearings for the area yet. WLTX is calling for a significant event as is local NWS office and most of the knowledgeable amateurs in the area.

maybe WIS will play catch up then. Thanks for the reply. They still feel like the temperatures will rise quickly on Monday morning.

Here's some pictures I snapped during the height of the snow. I had the video almost uploaded, then accidentally closed out of my Youtube tab, so I have to reupload. Ugh. It'll be up in awhile due to my horrible upload speeds.

DSC00499.jpg

Nice but a "solid coating" it is not.

EDIT: Moved from the discussion thread... Isopycnic

This feels like some type of press conference...analysis paralysis too...Try reading a chart for yourself!

Looks like I am in the sweet spot yet again. Amazing blow torch winter we are having!

Please try not to be so critical....If I knew how to read the chart myself, I would not have wasted anyone's time asking....I asked Cheez because he is the closest met to my location.....Not everyone on here is a met with the knowledge you have...If questions are not asked, then people don't learn....I'm a teacher and I know something about the learning process.....It works best when the learner is an acitve participant and engages in the learning exercise.

Lookout...delete away if you wish....

well we are hopefully an hour to 90 minutes away from the updated afds (although they could, and probably will, be delayed somewhat today). basically we are getting down to the nitty gritty.

just a couple of more and the storm will be upon us! :snowman:

Be careful on the storm thread folks....mods are not putting up with any garbage posts or questions. Keep the backyard questions here and somebody will answer you most of the time.

The next couple of model runs are going to be the tale of the tape esp 0Z and 12Z tomorrow...then it's on to the radar and nowcasting. Milk and bread are stocked! LOL :sled:

This time i'm really ready to enjoy, christmas storm was very sick and did not get to enjoy it with my daughter :fever:

Going to try and make a map shortly

The banter thread now has less weenism than the model thread. :lol:

that is exactly what i just came back to post in this one :lol: :lol: i mean what the heck is wrong with some of these people, at this point do NOT freak at the models!!! we are almost in nowcast time. could we all be bumming monday? well yes, but likely? absolutely not.

at this point its just waiting. as soon as we see the radar echos and movement, i will consider it a done deal (as long as i like what i see :lmao::popcorn: )

i am just flat out excited - with whatever happens. this has been fun to track, the models havent lost it, and we are finally down to the minute details, ie. where will the heavier bands be?

the model thread has been down right disappointing the last couple of pages. however, hats off to the mods, they are zapping the posts very quickly (i usually dont see them, but i might be hitting reload a bit more than usual today :drunk: so i am seeing all the posts)

i just quit responding to them. maybe the posters will go away :bike:

I know this will never happen along the gulf coast, but its pretty to look at for those of us down here.

Good luck to our neighbors to the north...might just take a little road trip with my grandchildren ( they've never seen snow)

I saw that earlier on Talkweather. That's like 50 years worth of snow for southern Mississippi and Louisiana, probably, LOL.

I'm not terribly excited about a bunch of MA mods who I've never seen before coming in and telling off posters and deleting posts in the main thread.

we are in storm mode. that is what they are supposed to do. unfortunately, this time the se thread is getting cluttered more than usual and poor lookout cant handle them all i am sure. they are staff, and this is how the board works.

i am not sure why everyone is so snippy, i mean we have a great storm coming up. the models are being consistent. the cold will be here. the moisture. i really have a hard time imagining this time the models making any huge shifts to take away the storm

they [models] are almost all, iirc, showing some type of large, se winter storm with snow and ice. some posters should be lucky they havent been banned from posting or limited to just a few posts in the last hour or two. most of us dont like to read and sort through the unnecessary bickering. esp at the cusp of the storm most of us have been waiting on for years

Archived