Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January GENERAL BANTER

oconeexman

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh the gnashing of teeth...writhing in horror...

Kind of like 2 weeks ago, when the Christmas storm "died" a few days out.

Chill ya'll

In fairness, that's because the Christmas storm always depended on a phasing that had to happen at just the right moment, and it did. Models were always going to wax and wane. For this storm, it's a pretty straightforward Gulf low. This isn't just going to magically pull a half inch of QPF out of its hat that it's currently hiding from the model somehow. We just ain't got it, and all we can do is cheer for our pals in AL, SC, GA, etc and hope this monster lurking on the GFS on the 14th and beyond materializes.

In fairness, that's because the Christmas storm always depended on a phasing that had to happen at just the right moment, and it did. Models were always going to wax and wane. For this storm, it's a pretty straightforward Gulf low. This isn't just going to magically pull a half inch of QPF out of its hat that it's currently hiding from the model somehow. We just ain't got it, and all we can do is cheer for our pals in AL, SC, GA, etc and hope this monster lurking on the GFS on the 14th and beyond materializes.

I agree 100%, I think the NAM is showing the worst case scenario, which is freezing drizzle for a few hours, so the good news is it can't get any worse than a few hours of freezing drizzle.

We will have plenty to keep us occupied and amused. Atlanta looks to get hit pretty hard. There will be plenty of youtube videos of them trying to drive.

Yep, a friend and I plan on hanging out at a tricky hill that people slid a lot on during the ice event in December and recording. I'll post it here if there's anything entertaining.

We will have plenty to keep us occupied and amused. Atlanta looks to get hit pretty hard. There will be plenty of youtube videos of them trying to drive.

That's true, it is nice our friends to the south get a great winter storm. It is hard to fathom that there will be 6"+ snows in MS/AL/GA/SC and NC completely strikes out. I still think we are going to get some precip, 0.3-0.5" of QPF and that will be a mix of snow/sleet/frzn.

Where's Brick and WidreMann when you need them? Misery loves company.

they can stay off line, otherwise we will keep hearing 'i told you so' and 'auuuuuuuuuughhhhh' (you figure out which one goes with which lol)

this sucks for parts of nc - i was thinking we'd all get hit. however, it wont take much of a shift to get a little farther into nc. my fingers are crossed for yall (and here too obviously :snowman: )

I'm starting to buy into this pending apocalypse meme that's been developing lately. Some say May 2011 while others say December 2012, but it's all starting to make sense now. Birds falling from the sky; mass fish kills; Australian floods; tremors around the New Madrid fault and Yellowstone caldera.

And now...

...Atlanta gets a foot of snow while the Piedmont is partly sunny.

I think that I'll go clean my guns and inventory my ammo cache now.

What a fail the clipper was. Hope next week is not the same. I just don't understand what Greg Fishel is looking at. At the least it sounds like we would get a couple inches of snow with ice on top of it here from what people on the board are saying now.

The only thing I can think that he's trying to say is that it won't be all snow. On Fox just now his model shows 24 hours of moisture, so that's not the issue. I think he's just being very vague with his wording and it's going to make people think nothing's going to happen at all. Totally whiffing tonight isn't going to help. Now Greg won't be on again until the event's in full swing, so I hope Kim Deaner, Mike Maze etc. can get the message across.

The only thing I can think that he's trying to say is that it won't be all snow. On Fox just now his model shows 24 hours of moisture, so that's not the issue. I think he's just being very vague with his wording and it's going to make people think nothing's going to happen at all. Totally whiffing tonight isn't going to help. Now Greg won't be on again until the event's in full swing, so I hope Kim Deaner, Mike Maze etc. can get the message across.

Didn't he say it was just going to be rain and maybe some freezing rain at the end, but not much of anything? Just seems different from what the models are showing right now.

No matter what happens, nothing will ever replace the horrible feeling I had back in 2001 (I think) when we were forecasted for 8 to 12 inches in Hickory and nothing fell from the sky. As for this storm, I am not sweating it. I think some form of frozen precip will fall from the sky here in NC, but I've lowered expectations to just a couple inches. Fortunately, if it does snow, I'll be able to fully enjoy it this time around as I won't be traveling all across the state and then to FL like I was on Christmas day and Boxing day.

I'm starting to buy into this pending apocalypse meme that's been developing lately. Some say May 2011 while others say December 2012, but it's all starting to make sense now. Birds falling from the sky; mass fish kills; Australian floods; tremors around the New Madrid fault and Yellowstone caldera.

And now...

...Atlanta gets a foot of snow while the Piedmont is partly sunny.

I think that I'll go clean my guns and inventory my ammo cache now.

:thumbsup::guitar:

Archived