Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January GENERAL BANTER

oconeexman

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would too but GFS gave us 1/2" of snow and .25" of freezing rain, which is what the NAM looks like too. Non event for RDU.

.25" of freezing rain is an event.

Not only that, but the shortwave is just now edging ashore. No way it's been properly sampled yet. I won't have any real confidence in the models for another 12-24 hours. So let's no one schedule any suicides for tonight. Let's party. TGIF. And pull for our clipper.

ok, i have been out most of the day and am trying to catch up. seems like people are bummed or not as excited? whats going on? looks like we are still in for a pretty good, large coverage, se winter storm.

why are people down? am i missing something>

ok, i have been out most of the day and am trying to catch up. seems like people are bummed or not as excited? whats going on? looks like we are still in for a pretty good, large coverage, se winter storm.

Because they live in central NC where the models don't look that great. ;) I'm excited myself. :thumbsup:

Hey NEGa.

The basic idea from some models today suggested the event would primarily be a AL, GA, SC event with the southern stream lp dieing out as it approached NC. An inland low taking over more, so not a Miller A system. Cuts the snow totals considerably for central NC. :arrowhead:

Because they live in central NC where the models don't look that great. ;) I'm excited myself. :thumbsup:

And I'm happy for you man, and everyone else in the area of snow. I'm just still waiting on that classic low to bomb out off the se coast and crawl slowly up the coast. And for there to be enough cold air far enough south and east for us in central NC.

And I'm happy for you man, and everyone else in the area of snow. I'm just still waiting on that classic low to bomb out off the se coast and crawl slowly up the coast. And for there to be enough cold air far enough south and east for us in central NC.

Yeah but I wish everybody in the southeast could get bombed from this system. Sucks to see central NC out of the game. :(

Yeah but I wish everybody in the southeast could get bombed from this system. Sucks to see central NC out of the game. :(

thanks for the replies everyone! i am trying to read several hundred (literally) posts to catch up! its been driving me crazy then i saw all the depressed post, but lookouts happy one so i just wantd to be sure we were still in the game :snowman:

honestly though i never expect what the models show if its over 6" since those are rare. i usually assume in this case 2-4 or 3-5, and if i get the higher end i am happy as a lark! bring it on! i just hope this one hits us all!! :snowman::scooter:

I don't know if anyone saw Fish @ 5pm but he let it be known that this is not going to be a big snowstorm for us on Monday and Tuesday. He said he expects to see some snow at the beginning for a few hours but then changing to a freezing drizzle and that's about it. He also said that this could be an impact event but don't expect to see what we did the day after Christmas. I personally think he hit the nail on the head according to what we've seen out of the models so far.

although i think the upstate has been the most screwed lately. mby has had a couple of multi inch events that fizzle just two counties away in nw sc....so if anyone is going to be nailed yall would be a good group :thumbsup:

I am hoping for a good if not great event for most if not all.:snowman:

Naturally I have a flight out of RDU on Tuesday at 6am. With each passing moment that looks less and less likely.

How far in advance do airlines start issuing travel waivers? And how do you find out besides calling every hour? If they shut down ATL, it's going to be a disaster.

although i think the upstate has been the most screwed lately. mby has had a couple of multi inch events that fizzle just two counties away in nw sc....so if anyone is going to be nailed yall would be a good group :thumbsup:

Thanks!! I always enjoy your snowy posts while we are getting screwed over here; Ok, maybe I also get a little jealous too...:devilsmiley:

So can a Met explain to me why this is looking like a double barrell. Seems from reading RAH and looking at the maps we have 2 lps. The main one is going to ride up the apps, and the weaker one is going to redevelop going up the coast, probably get the transer from the main system and be much more like a miller B than an A.... thats just what I'm seeing, hearing, feeling, and I dont think it's really a good way to get snow in NC... obviously stuff will change, but if we have 2 areas of lp I dont like my chances.

Well, local tv met, Kristie Henderson just put a 'damper' on things for me. Snow, changing to sleet, then to freezing rain and then to a cold rain.

All that after giving us a PBP of how they formulate a forecast (including the new program for how much bread and milk we'll need) I am not kidding.

arrowheadsmiley.png

Archived