• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January GENERAL BANTER

oconeexman

They should just leave it up to the mods.

During intense periods of activity on the forum like right now, some people need to be told that they need to STOP doing what they're doing. "durr can i get a total for peach cobbler county" isn't the constructive disco we need in the serious thread and should be in this thread.

EDIT: Hugo89, you have a point. Probably wise to delete the first dumb post and then post if they make a habit of it.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During intense periods of activity on the forum like right now, some people need to be told that they need to STOP doing what they're doing. "durr can i get a total for peach cobbler county" isn't the constructive disco we need in the serious thread and should be in this thread.

This is true. And it can be done via PM.

Matthew East has RDU in an icy mix. :angry:

http://mattheweast.blogspot.com/

NWS RAL agrees in the afternoon discussion.

CONCERNING PTYPES...QUITE A BIT OF UNCERTAINTY REMAINS...BUT A WEAK

COASTAL LOW...LACK OF A TRUE HIGH PRESSURE TO THE NORTH...AND A

SECONDARY SURFACE LOW AND H85 LOW WEST OF THE MOUNTAINS SUPPORTS A

MORE MIXED PTYPE EVENT. SINCE THE LEAD SHORTWAVE IS FORECAST TO BE

DEAMPLIFIED AND THE BEST HEIGHT FALLS WITH THE NORTHERN WAVE ARE

PROGGED TO OCCUR OVER THE OHIO VALLEY..PRECIP AMOUNTS LOOK TO BE

MAINLY DRIVEN BY MODEST WARM ADVECTION FROM THE SOUTHEAST. THIS ALSO

ARGUES FOR A TRANSITION FROM SNOW AT ONSET TO A PTYPE MIX LATE

MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING (SNOW NW AND RAIN SE)...FITTING CLIMATOLOGY

QUITE WELL. GFS/ECMWF CRITICAL THICKNESS NOMOGRAMS SUPPORT THIS

THINKING ALSO...SO THE CURRENT FORECAST REFLECTS MORE IN THE WAY OF

A MIX FOR A LARGER PORTION OF THE CWA TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE TRIAD.

An icy mix could actually be worse for the roads than all snow.

One example of that was Jan 30 vs. the Christmas storm. In January, snow mixed with and changed to sleet. The roads remained slick for a VERY long time. Storm was on Friday night and I sprained my wrist sledding on a ROAD on MONDAY.

A couple weeks ago, we got a solid 5" but the roads were basically fine by that afternoon, despite at least 2" on them at the end of the event.

Well it's good for southwest NC but for us this is going to be at most .25-40" of precip at best. Good news is it's going to hit DC and places north though.

I'd take 3 to 4 inches of all snow, but sounds like it is going to be a lot of mix. This thing just looks like a big disappointment compared to a couple of days ago.

I'd take 3 to 4 inches of all snow, but sounds like it is going to be a lot of mix. This thing just looks like a big disappointment compared to a couple of days ago.

I would too but GFS gave us 1/2" of snow and .25" of freezing rain, which is what the NAM looks like too. Non event for RDU.

Yep. Real bummer at this point for the us folks in central NC. Oh well, I'm not giving up the ghost yet. Maybe we will see a trend back in our favor over the next two days. :arrowhead:

Archived