• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Rolling E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV/Big Jim: Not During Storm OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is windy and cold as hell. I think I'll wash my truck. :D

EDIT: maybe not

I washed my truck today, couldn't feel my hands when I was done, for 20 minutes afterwards too, lol. Did it at a car wash though, screw doing it completely by hand in this cold. Sometimes I hate being so anal about my truck being clean.

I washed my truck today, couldn't feel my hands when I was done, for 20 minutes afterwards too, lol. Did it at a car wash though, screw doing it completely by hand in this cold. Sometimes I hate being so anal about my truck being clean.

Lovely wind gusts to boot. The sun is so deceiving also. The temps are dropping good out there. Gonna be good walking my 2 Siberian huskies This is their type of weather though

Okay, so since this thread is for general banter... here's a question for any NWS mets or I guess any other professionals. What sort of weather warning would you consider the absolute, most severe you could issue? Tornado emergency? Extreme wind warning? Flash flood emergency? Just curious as to what ranks out at the absolute top of the scale in terms of criticality in terms of danger and potential for damage.

I'm awaiting the responses by the people you asked for, but for me, I would guess Tornado Warning. Next, might be a Severe Thunderstorm Warning when it is obvious that powerful straight line winds are racing through a county.

I've videotaped tornados before and seen tornado warnings. They're no joke to be sure. But a tornado emergency -- an upgraded tornado warning if I understand correctly -- is for extreme situations presenting absolutely grave and destructive scenarios. I imagine an F4+ tornado about to hit a major metropolitan area would qualify. That would probably send chills up and down my spine to read this type of alert scrolling across the TV with that ominous EAS beeping in the background.

I've been under a tornado warning quite a few times, three times last year to be exact, two of which resulted in tornado warnings being issued for NYC once they moved past me. What I never understood, is that EAS is never activated up here in north Jersey. I have a place in Atlantic County though, and when the tornado warning was issued, EAS was activated, and it really heightens the tension level. For one, I was in a campground, and two, alot of people in NJ ignore severe weather warnings, but when the entire screen, no matter which channel you are watching flips over to a tornado warning, it sent shivers down my spine. The beeping and NOAA weather radio computer generated voice add to the effects.

I would guess that I've probably been under a Tornado Warning 2 or 3 times over the past decade or so, but I could tell by looking at the radar/reading the description/following a thread on the forum that the tornado was nowhere near hitting my town. I'm sure I would be freaking out if I was under a Tornado Warning with a cell heading right for me, though. I definitely would take cover immediately, as is suggested.

I would guess that I've probably been under a Tornado Warning 2 or 3 times over the past decade or so, but I could tell by looking at the radar/reading the description/following a thread on the forum that the tornado was nowhere near hitting my town. I'm sure I would be freaking out if I was under a Tornado Warning with a cell heading right for me, though. I definitely would take cover immediately, as is suggested.

I've been under a warning more times than I could count over the past decade and yes most of them were nowhere near my town. Last year was different, the warning I was under in Atlantic county litteraly said, the tornado will be near Pomona at such and such time, and I was in Pomona. The radar signiature was decent as well. I believe it was the same day the squall line ripped through eastern PA and Philly during the Phillies game which brought all the straight line wind damage and hail to the area.

I've been under a warning more times than I could count over the past decade and yes most of them were nowhere near my town. Last year was different, the warning I was under in Atlantic county litteraly said, the tornado will be near Pomona at such and such time, and I was in Pomona. The radar signiature was decent as well. I believe it was the same day the squall line ripped through eastern PA and Philly during the Phillies game which brought all the straight line wind damage and hail to the area.

That's really cool. Probably a good blend of fear & excitement all at once, huh?

Tornado Warnings...

This summer in Alliance, Nebraska we were being chased into town by a storm. It went linear and got dark, so we decided to check in at our Holiday Inn and just watch the lightning from our hotel room.

A spotter reported a funnel cloud, which sent the county into a TOR. We drove up to the hotel with quarter-size hail falling, only to find everyone sitting on the floor in the lobby with the TV on, but just a black screen and NOAA weather radio. Holiday Inn's computer wouldn't let the front desk check us in until the TOR was lifted, so we went across the street, got some dinner, and came back when the TOR expired.

Ok, back to PHL metro.....

Last summer there was a tornado warning for New Castle County. I was at my gym, it was early afternoon, and pitch black outside. As the storm got worse, the power was flickering on and off . At once, all the TVs, including on the 100 or so treadmills, all switched from whatever channel they were viewing to the EAS message indicating tornado warning. Very eerie... but it wasn't the tornado emergency I noted above. That would have taken things up a notch definitely.

Last summer there was a tornado warning for New Castle County. I was at my gym, it was early afternoon, and pitch black outside. As the storm got worse, the power was flickering on and off . At once, all the TVs, including on the 100 or so treadmills, all switched from whatever channel they were viewing to the EAS message indicating tornado warning. Very eerie... but it wasn't the tornado emergency I noted above. That would have taken things up a notch definitely.

Yeah that was my infamous trip over the gas station island and breaking my camera time as i was in Talleyville,DE Saw the damn funnel cloud and all, tried to run to get the better view of it and tripped over the island.

Archived