• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Rolling E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV/Big Jim: Not During Storm OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm rooting for a big snow to happen next week and then a break for a week before winter closes with a bang. Even I could use a few mild days - what about everyone else?

That works for me, as long as we get hammered next week! For cross-country skiing, the mild days (within reason) soften up the top and make for perfect conditions.

<br />Noticed a heavier return coming thru so I checked again,mix of ice/snow pellets...definitely light pinging...noticed that the sloped piles about 4/5 ft high in front of my deck from plowing...the mix is rolling down off them...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Same here down 903 from you. Sleet

Not a good ski day.

Nah, that doesn't work for me ;) ... we had above normal (slightly, anyway) snowfall in January 1917 here in Elko. This January we barely had any... 5th least snowy on record. :axe:

Interesting that the 1917 timeframe was also when we had the last larger scale solar minimum, although this one may end up being far stronger. I wonder whether the solar min induced this La Nina. As we know, the anomolies within the zones of the La Nina area (1.2, 3, 3.4, 4 east based versus west based) play a role in how the weather plays out in different regions. For example, I've noticed that a warm 1.2 relative to other areas in a Nino creates a warm winter in the east. A west based Nino can be a great winter in the east. Maybe that is what has happened here. I was also ready this morning that the central equatorial pacific is cloudy, which it should not be during a Nina. Theory goes that that region should remain sunny and warm up as the signal for the next cycle (a Nino). That warming hasn't started, and a private prediction from a NOAA employee that works with that stuff says that he sees the Nina effects into 2012!! Story is over at WUWT.

Hey Mt. Holly (or, more broadly, NWS). Thanks for what appears to be a reformatting of the AFD. It is now much friendlier to mobile device users and easier to size for reading on the small screen.

Not exactly sure what you mean. We have been using this format in the AFD's for at least several years now (at least in NWS Eastern Region).

~10.5" snow pack

single digits this week before torch?

time to re-group in a couple weeks for a March to remember ;):snowman::thumbsup:

The only outstanding item is the big storm in my winter forecast still needs to come to fruition to 100% accurate. Lets hope you are right. My snowfall totals on mark also. See my blog below

http://msiegelweatherman.blogspot.com/

notice how ray has been in a good mood today....this is why

Late Afternoon: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 42. Breezy, with a northwest wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. North northwest wind 18 to 21 mph decreasing to between 10 and 13 mph. Winds could gust as high as 39 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tuesday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 32. North northwest wind between 6 and 10 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

Archived