• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011

Cliffs notes? I'm not going to spend the time navigating through his garbage.

lol, I skipped ahead to read some of the hurricane stuff, encountered the "Do not EVER use probabilities for seasonal forecasting TC" statement, and stopped reading.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He didn't give numbers so who knows what that will be. Main storm track into tampico, secondary into ms gulf coast and the big bend (Lolz). No mention of NC threat.

lol, I skipped ahead to read some of the hurricane stuff, encountered the "Do not EVER use probabilities for seasonal forecasting TC" statement, and stopped reading.

OK, cool. My two favorite tropical mets have the same opinion I do.

The world makes sense. :sun:

Meh...

HPC Final Update:

AS A MID TO UPPER LEVEL LOW RETROGRADES TO SOME DEGREE ACROSS THE

GULF OF MEXICO UNDER THE MIDWESTERN/MID SOUTH RIDGE...THE

DETERMINISTIC AND ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE ALL AGREE ON A CONVECTIVE LOW

PRESSURE AREA FORMING NORTH OF PANAMA WHICH SLOWLY LIFTS NORTHWARD

NEAR THE 80TH MERIDIAN WITH TIME. CONVECTIVE LOW DEVELOPMENT IN

THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN SHOULD BE A SLOW PROCESS CONSIDERING THE

LARGE UPPER LOW RETROGRADING TO ITS NORTHWEST CAUSING VERTICAL

WIND SHEAR EARLY ON WITH A SUBSEQUENT SLOW EXPANSION OF THE UPPER

HIGH WESTWARD FROM THE EASTERN AND CENTRAL CARIBBEAN ANTICIPATED.

THE SYSTEM ALSO APPEARS TO BE OF FAIRLY LARGE SIZE PER THE

GUIDANCE. THE POINTS FOR THIS LOW WERE COORDINATED WITH NHC AT

17Z.

First visit to the CIMMS page for the Atlantic this season!

post-138-0-03260800-1306795912.gif

CIMMS TPW loop suggests near 50 mm (~2 inches) TPW, not bone dry, WV imagery suggests above convection safely away from worst of dry air, but while it is apparently well ventilated, it is being sheared badly. (See also above post with CIMMS shear map)

18Z GFS does lower shear in a few days...

850200shear2.png

850200shear13.png

post-138-0-10269000-1306812616.jpg

It's crazy to think that the United States hasn't been hit by a hurricane since Hurricane Gustav, which made landfall September 1, 2008.... By my calculations, that's 1002 days! We may be able to get this number close to 1050 before the US is even threatened by a hurricane...

Ike hit the USA on 13 September 2008.

It's not that unusual for the USA to have two calendar years in a row without a 'cane-- for example, just in the last 30 years:

2000-2001

1993-1994

1981-1982

Ike hit the USA on 13 September 2008.

It's not that unusual for the USA to have two calendar years in a row without a 'cane-- for example, just in the last 30 years:

2000-2001

1993-1994

1981-1982

Five years without a major is pretty uncommon, though, isn't it?

Five years without a major is pretty uncommon, though, isn't it?

Extremely.

Reanalysis may affect the stats a little, but as they currently stand, if the USA doesn't get a 100-kt cyclone this year, we'll be getting into uncharted territory.

For anyone who doesn't know, the last major to hit the USA was Wilma 2005, on the SW coast of FL.

Wait... Are you saying five years isn't unusual, or that Ike was a major? I would disagree with either statement. :)

Took out the post, guys, lighten up. I was just shocked at the Gustav statement and replied abit too soon. My mistake.;)

The USA has had 5 consecutive calendar years without a major (2006-2010).

The last time this happened was 1910-1914, and also 1901-1905.

If the USA doesn't get a major this year, that will be 6 consecutive years-- something that has not happened since 1861-1868. (I suppose it's possible that one of the 'canes in this period might have been a major, but based on reanalyzed data, none of them are believed to have been.)

Took out the post, guys, lighten up. I was just shocked at the Gustav statement and replied abit too soon. My mistake.;)

:D

Well alright then. I was surprised by the Ike omission as well-- especially given that Ike is the only significant hurricane to hit the USA in the last half decade.

P.S. I wish you didn't take out the post-- it had that beautiful radar image in it. It looked very nice for a large-RMW Cat 2.

Well alright then. I was surprised by the Ike omission as well-- especially given that Ike is the only significant hurricane to hit the USA in the last half decade.

P.S. I wish you didn't take out the post-- it had that beautiful radar image in it. It looked very nice for a large-RMW Cat 2.

Just as a reminder of what we all went through...:D

IkeEvery15MinLong.gif

If the USA doesn't get a major this year, that will be 6 consecutive years-- something that has not happened since 1861-1868.

Interesting, I didnt realize it had been that long. Here's to a beauty this yeardrunk.gif

Just as a reminder of what we all went through...:D

:wub:

It looked as good as Wilma. It really started to pull together in the end. I remember how big it was-- it just took forever to pass. I'm pretty sure my location (Texas City) had well over 12 solid hrs of gale winds. Even the eyewall seemed to take hours.

My hotel lost its roof in that one. Memories. :wub:

If the USA doesn't get a major this year, that will be 6 consecutive years-- something that has not happened since 1861-1868. (I suppose it's possible that one of the 'canes in this period might have been a major, but based on reanalyzed data, none of them are believed to have been.)

Is there anywhere that you can easily get the historical data with years like this? Or did you go through all the NHC stuff and have it memorized? Just wondering. Thanks.

Is there anywhere that you can easily get the historical data with years like this? Or did you go through all the NHC stuff and have it memorized? Just wondering. Thanks.

Here is the NHC's official list of all hurricane landfalls in the USA from 1851 to present: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/hurdat/All_U.S._Hurricanes.html

Important Note: The NHC is currently reanalyzing all of these events and recategorizing a lot of them up or down. The period 1851-1930 has been completed, so those data can be considered reliable-- and you can also consider stuff from 1989 onward to be pretty accurate. However, the period in between (1931-1988) will be seeing lots of changes-- but for now this is the official list.

You mean this as a troll post, but I am all for the proposed downgrade of Gloria (and the other changes recommended in that paper). I was in it, and it sure wasn't a Cat 3. That having been said, I might at some point write a note to Chris Landsea to argue 85 kt (as opposed to 75 kt) for Gloria, given the structural damage on the S Shore of Long Island and also the wind-pressure relationship formulas you and I have been discussing.

Archived