• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011

Wow. That is insane that folks build homes in that kind of a setup! WTF? Talk about asking for it. :lol:

If I'm pushing 80, and I have to wear Depends because my body is failing me, it;ll be tempting to go to the newly rebuilt House of Popo in Jamaica Beach with rum, a blender, ice and fruit juices, and a computer with WiFi connection, and I happen to die in a 15 foot storm surge and my body becomes crab food, well, there are worse ways to go.

And look, in a Cat 2 hurricane like Ike, it isn't even suicide, as chances of survival seem close to 50%

ike_satellite_jamaica_beach_4.jpg

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm pushing 80, and I have to wear Depends because my body is failing me, it;ll be tempting to go to the newly rebuilt House of Popo in Jamaica Beach with rum, a blender, ice and fruit juices, and a computer with WiFi connection, and I happen to die in a 15 foot storm surge and my body becomes crab food, well, there are worse ways to go.

And look, in a Cat 2 hurricane like Ike, it isn't even suicide, as chances of survival seem close to 50%

ike_satellite_jamaica_beach_4.jpg

You should run for office in Galveston.

Definitely would fit in with the ignorance that they showed as Ike approached.

12Z GFS has weak and competing features either side of Central America in a week. I'd guess, based on time of year, if either went, it'd be in the East Pac. East Pac feature has better mean relative humidity and a little more friendly looking shear.

Wow. That is insane that folks build homes in that kind of a setup! WTF? Talk about asking for it. :lol:

Have you ever been in the keys? I go down there every few months and I can't believe some of the houses I see. Some of the keys are only 2 or 300 yards wide w/ a $2,000,000 house on it. Insane. And they don't even evacuate half the time. LOL.

Have you ever been in the keys? I go down there every few months and I can't believe some of the houses I see. Some of the keys are only 2 or 300 yards wide w/ a $2,000,000 house on it. Insane. And they don't even evacuate half the time. LOL.

I've never been there, but I'd like to go. I've heard exactly that-- that there's all this fancy, hyper-exposed property. Just wait until a 1935 redux or another Donna 1960. Ugh.

I've never been there, but I'd like to go. I've heard exactly that-- that there's all this fancy, hyper-exposed property. Just wait until a 1935 redux or another Donna 1960. Ugh.

I don't even remember the storm now, just a few years back, but Monroe County did mando evacs, a huge percentage of the regulars stayed, and the storm was a little less than expected, only minor flooding.

A storm better look like a Cat 5 from 2 or 3 days away or mortality in the Keys could be rather high.

I don't even remember the storm now, just a few years back, but Monroe County did mando evacs, a huge percentage of the regulars stayed, and the storm was a little less than expected, only minor flooding.

A storm better look like a Cat 5 from 2 or 3 days away or mortality in the Keys could be rather high.

That could be said for most storms that pass near/over the Keys. Wilma did seem to 'wake up' the Conch's, but years have passed since 05. Meanwhile, another potential wave has exited off the African Coast. It's good to see things progressing as they should this time of year.

post-32-0-33136900-1305571469.jpg

Could have fooled me arrowheadsmiley.png

9s7c5e.gif

The main trough is digging a bit too far south towards Jamaica today, but yesterday, shear was below 20 kts in the SW Caribbean and will be again by tomorrow afternoon, there is a cutoff low over the southeast, creating an area of natural shear vorticity in the mid-levels, and the MJO is providing favorable divergence aloft. The only thing missing is a tropical wave to spin up. I'm not sure what more you could ask for on May 17.

i was wondering why the west carib would be favorable with low pressure dominating the west atlantic.

I don't expect anything until at least June. You need a favorable environment for at least a few days or more to get something to spin up and that is not going to occur. Wait until June...Yes am19psu it is more favorable then what is normal, but 20 knots within a 40 knot period of wind shear is not very favorable. Normal for May 17th...

I don't expect anything until at least June. You need a favorable environment for at least a few days or more to get something to spin up and that is not going to occur. Wait until June...Yes am19psu it is more favorable then what is normal, but 20 knots within a 40 knot period of wind shear is not very favorable. Normal for May 17th...

It's obviously not an ideal scenario for deep tropical development (like you would see in Aug or Sep), but much, much better than climo for May 17.

Archived