• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011

j7zxqe.gif Im guessing thats just a cold core nontropical system that has no chance to become tropical and will just sit and spin off the east coast for a while.

the west atlantic is totally dominated by low pressure. nothing is going to develop in the west carib until that reverses.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posting the NAM can make Adam, my favorite green tagged met, (ormaybe its B-I or Wooostah_Wx) upset sometimes, I think.

0Z GFS has lowering pressure and some vorticity in the Eastern Caribbean as well, but besides climatology, the 0Z GFS shows the wave coming off South America (noted 700 mb moisture surge) and apparently headed for absolutely destructive shear.

But the model supports rainstorm's LC idea of an early season of ITCZ related happiness coming into the Caribbean. I think.

Not that I'm really buying off on this threat yet (I'll devote a lot more time to it tomorrow), but that H500 pattern is decent for early season development over the Western Caribbean.

Climatology suggests that as well for late May/early June...

post-32-0-54716200-1304865926.png

post-32-0-01727100-1304866180.png

Climatology suggests that as well for late May/early June...

Yes, Climatology argues against such a event in mid May, but climatology has been busted many times within the past 10 years. It is something to be watched as the gfs is now on board with lowering surface pressures. I'd say the unfavorablity of the eastern Caribbean during this time of the year should make it improbable, but we have been surprised before. LC was right about there being NO landfalling hurricanes (I believe that was one of his forecast), but wrong with the amount of storms last season. I believe it was 12 and we had 19.

This time of the year it is a complete wait and see. :)

LC was right about there being NO landfalling hurricanes (I believe that was one of his forecast), but wrong with the amount of storms last season. I believe it was 12 and we had 19.

Yes, but only one of those forecasts indicates skill or lack thereof. The other is a stochastic process, at least as far as we know.

Not that I'm really buying off on this threat yet (I'll devote a lot more time to it tomorrow), but that H500 pattern is decent for early season development over the Western Caribbean.

Looking at everything a bit closer, the teleconnections do argue for favorable environmental conditions over the Western Caribbean in 8-10 days. Troughing over the Eastern U.S. is usually favorable for development due south of the trough axis due to the col and shear vorticity maximum that sets up between the westerlies at the base of the trough and the tropical easterlies. Add in the MJO pulse coming through in that time period and the ingredients are there for development.

Of course, climatology strongly argues against it. I wouldn't give anything more than a 5-10% chance at this point. Still it's worth keeping an eye on for nothing else than a reminder that the season is almost here.

It looks like the CFS may be picking up on increased convection potential near Central America around the end of May and beginning of June.

Even if there is no organized development for the Western Caribbean,it may be a signal for EPAC potential.

It looks like the CFS may be picking up on increased convection potential near Central America around the end of May and beginning of June.

Even if there is no organized development for the Western Caribbean,it may be a signal for EPAC potential.

When I'm being a homer/IMBY dude, I like to recall Allison was on its way to becoming a TC in the East Pac before coming North into the Gulf.

Seems pretty reasonable to me

I don't know about multiple hurricane hits, but we could use multiple tropical storm hits for certain. Going on 6 weeks locally with 0.11 inches of rain. A June hit that weakens the drought and taps the OHC off Texas is what the doctor ordered.

I don't know about multiple hurricane hits, but we could use multiple tropical storm hits for certain. Going on 6 weeks locally with 0.11 inches of rain. A June hit that weakens the drought and taps the OHC off Texas is what the doctor ordered.

I am sure Josh would like the chance to head to Texas to chase a few storms .:scooter:

Archived