Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to position my findings carefully-- but I see the cat's out of the bag. :(

Carla was a low end four at landfall.

:D

Metz backs me up. :weight_lift:

Well, I'm not sure I agreed with all of the points in his presentation, honestly. He also called Audrey a Cat 4 at landfall, and we now know that's simply not true.

Uh oh. Are the hurtyhurtz bigger in Texas too?

:lmao:

Troublemaker.

Don't mess with Carla...

Omg, it's like you're holding a gun to my head. This doesn't exactly foster the scientific method. :D

I've a feeling you're not going to like Josh's upcoming new thread.

Troublemaker.

Pffft...Cat 3 my back side...:rolleyes:

Well, I'd like an opportunity to explain my calculations before everyone attacks me. :P

I'm a sensitive guy. :wub:

P.S. When you take my reanalysis work as a whole, TX loses one Cat 4 but gains another-- so I don't wanna hear it. :D

It isn't like Josh is an official member of the reanalysis team or anything. And it isn't his fault Steve has hurricane envy. Not the only one, Hugo89 wanting his hurricane to be a Cat 5 and all.

Just have to live with the hurricane you're given.

Looks frontal to me.

Do you have any better source that shows the tropical Atlantic for days 7-10? or at least a link to the phase charts? It does look mostly tropical, with a disturbance coming in from the tropical Atlantic and developing close to PR, while a huge ridge builds for most of the subtropical Atlantic.

Merely academical interest. >99% that it won't pan out.

Do you have any better source that shows the tropical Atlantic for days 7-10? or at least a link to the phase charts? It does look mostly tropical, with a disturbance coming in from the tropical Atlantic and developing close to PR, while a huge ridge builds for most of the subtropical Atlantic.

Merely academical interest. >99% that it won't pan out.

Nope, just looking at the 850T gradient and the warm frontal overrunning signature. I was also only using the snapshot that was posted, so it certainly could be transitioning in model world.

You have to look at the whole vertical profile. Also, there's no such thing as an "ascending" easterly QBO. Wind anomalies descend through the stratosphere.

See my other posts too. Again, the QBO should NOT be treated as a one dimensional index as it so often is. The "transition" to an easterly QBO that you note yields easterly vertical shear through the stratosphere, at the equator. Which through the thermal wind relationship, results in an anomalously warm stratosphere ~10-15 degrees off the equator. A warmer stratosphere is linked with lower tropopause heights, which limits convective potential and TC development.

In 2005, we were squarely within a strong easterly phase of the QBO. This did present net easterly shear in the stratosphere for at least the first half of the season. By October, we saw a switch to net westerly shear. Note that most of the activity that year was relatively "high latitude", away from strongest influence of the QBO induced anomalies.

Interesting. I'd love to learn more about this stuff. What levels are you using to determine net shear in the stratosphere? 10-100mb?

I'm also a little confused about how the thermal wind relationship plays a role in this case -- I assume westerly QBO corresponds to a stronger meridional temperature gradient in the stratosphere, and therefore (like the jet stream) results in cool stratospheric temperature anomalies 10-15° poleward? Then again, the Coriolis force is neglible around the equator, so the PGF would seemingly be the only force.

I guess it depends on how lax your definition of a ST storm is. It's probably going to have gales, but it's never going to come close to getting rid of its upper level cold core. Also, it begins to fill as the temperature gradient weakens, which is never a good sign for pure warm core development.

72.phase1.png

72.phase2.png

Archived