• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 8

NickD2011

That is not true, maybe the RUC is to the greatest extent west, but some guidance is further west than the GFS/NAM, such as euro, SREF, high res models. Stop looking at guidance anyways, look at what is currently unfolding, it is pretty obvious. Just even compare the current impacts of the snow in the mid atlantic to what some models were projecting, I am sure the obvious differences will be apparent.

I think we can say with some confidence that the low will not be as far east as where the NAM and GFS have it, as I said before, it'll probably be a compromise between the eastern and western guidance.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should all stop obsessing over the RUC..and take more note of the SREF...as SPC has done with their meso disco. The deeper, tucked in closer scenario is not completely out to lunch imo.

DING DING DING we have a winner. Yes exactly man, the SREF is a very reliable model at this range and the SPC makes valid points which more importantly correlate with current trends at the surface and aloft as apparent through nowcasting.

That is not true, maybe the RUC is to the greatest extent west, but some guidance is further west than the GFS/NAM, such as euro, SREF, high res models. Stop looking at guidance anyways, look at what is currently unfolding, it is pretty obvious. Just even compare the current impacts of the snow in the mid atlantic to what some models were projecting, I am sure the obvious differences will be apparent.

RUC and SREF are the only models showing very heavy banding reaching Eastern PA.

I'll buy this, when the actual surface map displays a low pressure center significantly west of the GFS/NAM and EUR. Not pressure maps. Just cautious that's all.

While that may be true, pressure tendency is an important diagnostic/prognostic tool, and can't be disregarded because weenies wishcast. Believe me, if those pressure falls were further east, I'd be plenty inclined to think the low was also going to follow suit,

And, of course, it has.

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=3p&inv=0&t=cur

The battles are starting early this time, before it even starts snowing...I can't wait for the battles between the 4 guys who all live in NYC while one says its flurries out and the other is reporting 2 inch per hour rates and they live 2 miles apart...I'm not sure they're all here anymore.

LMAO. Especially with a storm like this where conditions will be extremely variable from one location to another. Depends on where the banding establishes itself.

I think you should all stop obsessing over the RUC..and take more note of the SREF...as SPC has done with their meso disco. The deeper, tucked in closer scenario is not completely out to lunch imo.

Very true and I agree. Of course if the very close and tucked in scenario does play out then a dryslot issue could unfold for some areas. Note say I agree this will happen but it is possible but to the extreme of the RUC not very likely

The battles are starting early this time, before it even starts snowing...I can't wait for the battles between the 4 guys who all live in NYC while one says its flurries out and the other is reporting 2 inch per hour rates and they live 2 miles apart...I'm not sure they're all here anymore.

Luckily we have four ASOSes in the immediate NY metro area. I'll go with those for determining the intensity over the city. They're probably a little better judge of visibility, wind, and precipitation rate than a human.

23.6/18

RH is at 75, so a virga storm is not happening.

Liking the impressive Omega values on the soundings, this is going to be a very dynamic storm

Yessir someone will see banding of 1-3 inches per hour. And maybe gravity waves....

Do you live on Long Island or something,

If everyone would put their location in their profile, this question wouldn't need to be asked. It's been a pet peeve of mine for awile now. In a hobby that is so geographically oriented, why wouldn't folks include it so we know where they are located.

RUC and SREF are the only models showing very heavy banding reaching Eastern PA.

I'll buy this, when the actual surface map displays a low pressure center significantly west of the GFS/NAM and EUR. Not pressure maps. Just cautious that's all.

The latest SREF is pretty much in agreement with the consensus track now.

Archived