• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Fall Foliage 2024

ThePhotoGuy

Went out to Monocacy National Battlefield, Greenbrier State Park, and Gambrill State Park yesterday. I was hoping the colors would have been better at Greenbrier as it was in past years (maybe it is still early?). Colors were pretty muted except for the higher elevations at Gambrill State Park. 

Middletown Overlook:

Middle.png

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

To the extent we will have fall colors after such a hot and dry summer, I think this is the week they set in for northern Maryland. Canopy is changing and sometime this week should be pretty full colors - albeit probably muted compared to past years. 

Colors have popped a lot in the last 5 days. I’d expect them to continue changing quickly this week with cool weather. Just seems leaf drop is happening almost as quickly as they change color

• Like 2

18 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

We are way behind schedule out here in the mountains. My fire bushes are all over half green still. Should be brightly red at this point. 

We haven't had much color yet (normal for us), but I was using a leaf blower on Saturday, and realized we're about 2 weeks ahead on leaf drop. Probably due to dry conditions. The poplars have noticeably lost about half their foliage. I live in a forest, and can hear many neighborhood leaf blowers, so it's not just my imagination.

Had 0.25" rain on October 1, and almost nothing since then.

There were plenty of dull and/or still green areas but there were pockets of solid color along Skyline drive in some areas (10/15). I am assuming this is a bit late for sure. We decided to head up with western NC being essentially off limits.
GZ-XSwTXkAEMTS2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GZ-XSwUWoAAVrWB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GZ-XSwTWEAAhS0B?format=jpg&name=4096x409

brp4.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Went to Micheaux State Forest in PA (it's northwest of Gettysburg by about 20-30 miles) for a hike with the pups on Saturday - was looking for foliage - maybe a hair past peak at that spot but the entire drive up that was was excellent for fall color.  Still waiting on full color to hit in Monkton area but it is close now.  Not gonna be as good as the last few years IMO but wasn't bad on Saturday.  

• Like 2

Yesterday on the Patuxent River in Southern Anne Arundel.  Muted colors here and there; a few brilliant reds and yellows. Mostly dogwoods and the odd hickory in yellow. Beeches and oaks still almost entirely green as midsummer. Poplars green or yellow/browning from dry conditions at the crowns.

I've found in my 14 years in southern Moco/PGC beltway area that best color is usually around Oct 31-Nov 7.

PXL_20241020_150324890 (1).jpg

PXL_20241020_142945288 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Very colorful on Saturday at Catoctin Mountain Park. Definitely at peak and probably the most vibrant colors I have seen so far this fall. Didn't realize half the park would be closed.

Cunningham Falls was at or close to peak and pretty colorful especially at the upper levels of the park. I will post so more once I edited them. 

• Like 1