• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Winter 2024-2025 Forecast

I have, over the years, developed a few tools that work with pretty high accuracy regarding the following Winter. 

First, where is the money and what is the "middle" of what people -- insurance companies, energy companies, etc., are predicting. 

Natural Gas Futures

Last year, the Natural Gas price in the Fall was extremely low, especially compared to Crude Oil/Gasoline, and this was a better predictor than seasonal models, which generally had a trough on the East Coast, US, from an expected El Nino pattern. 

Current Natural Gas price is $2.64. 

Here is a chart going back to 1998, highlighting the highest (blue) vs lowest (red) prices. 

z1.png

Higher Natural Gas price should be linked to colder weather in the eastern US, and Europe. and Lower Natural Gas price should be linked to warmer weather in the eastern US, and Europe. 

Here are the Highest Natural Gas years (blue):

z2.png

Here are the lower Natural Gas price years (red):

z3.png

z4.png

For October, here is where we rank:

1. 1998: $2.27

2. 2015: $2.3

3. 2019: $2.63

4. 2024: $2.64

5. 2023: $2.91

6. 1999: $2.95

26: 2006: $7.53

27: 2007: $8.33

28: 2004: $8.72

29: 2005: $12.2

Furthermore, because of inflation, the Crude Oil or Gasoline vs Natural Gas spread is a better gauge for relative value. 

We are currently #2 in this metric [since 1998], behind only last year (23-24). 

ENSO

I manually plotted all ENSO variables (200mb wind, 850mb wind, OLR, SSTs, SOI, pressure, MEI, etc.), and I found that the most correlated ENSO measurement to the North Pacific [PNA] pattern, is ENSO subsurface. This works at +0-time. 

Because of this, I use the subsurface primarily to determine what the ENSO state is, and is going to be for the Winter. Obviously, in the future, it could change, but right now we are completely Neutral. 

z5.png

For most of the year so far, we have been in a "La Nina" in the subsurface: 

z6.png

This has correlated with a -PNA pattern

z7.gif

Now that the subsurface has neutralized, the PNA is not correlating so highly

z8.gif

NAO

In 2005, I found that the N. Atlantic SSTs in a region from New Foundland to Greenland  from May-Sept has a high correlation to the following Winter's NAO. The correlation was almost 0.5 (or 75% of getting the sign right). I made a manual index of the region, and have followed its predictions every year since 2005. I estimated that this NAO predictor index has a 0.54SD at getting the Dec-March NAO correctly (+1.00 index is 50% odds of +0.46 to +1.54 DFJM NAO). In real time, that method has been 9-9 on the 0.54 SD since Inception, and it has gotten the phase correctly 13-5. That is real future time forecasting results. Here is what the index encompasses:

z9.gif

I weight the index as follows:

z10.png

It's been working out great in real-time. 

This year, the index comes out at: 

z11.gif

Top area: ~0.0 (x1.00)

Bottom area: ~+0.8 (x0.65)

Total: +0.52

+0.52 NAO predictor for Dec-Jan-Feb-Mar. 

That means there is a 50% chance the DJFM NAO will be -0.02 to +1.06 (using 0.54 standard deviation)

That gives a 74% chance of the Winter DJFM NAO being Positive overall. 

z12.gif

PDO

I have been burned on the PDO! I do not think SSTs lead, I think they are more secondary to atmospheric conditions. But the last 4 years, and actually the last 30 years, the PDO has performed admirably. The mathematical odds are something like 1/100 for random to hit as much as the PDO has over this time. Because of that, I will give it some credence. 

CURRENT PDO IS NEAR -3. 

That is 2nd on record for October, going back to the early 1900s. Only 1955 had a lower October PDO.

Here is what PDO correlation looks like in the Winter (map default is the "+" phase, you have to flip it around to get a negative PDO correlation). 

z13.gif

z14.gif

Rolled-forward North American Temps

December 2023 to August 2024 was the warmest on record for the CONUS, due mostly to +EPO pattern. 

I made an analog list of 30 matching analogs (75 total years in dataset.. 30 analogs is 40%) and I got a really strong signal the following Nov-March. 

When you have 40% of the dataset used, you'd expect the anomalies to come out at +1F, but what I found was a much stronger signal than that:

Dec-June analogs:

z15.png

Following Winter (40% of dataset!):

z16.png

Mexican Heat Wave in May

Mexico crushed records in May. I found that similar analogs rolled above average temperatures to the eastern 1/2 of the CONUS for the following Sept-March. 

Phoenix Heat Wave

It's the warmest Sept 25 - Oct 13 in Phoenix all time. I think they broke their 2-week record by more than +7F!

I came up with 20 + analogs and found this for the following Winter rolled-forward:

z17.png

Wintertime 10mb

QBO correlates with the Winter time 10mb state. When coupled with ENSO, its correlation is very strong. Going back to all records available, the correlation is 75% that +QBO/La Nina leads to a negative Wintertime 10mb in the Northern Hemisphere. 75% that -QBO/El Nino leads to a positive Wintertime 10mb in the Northern Hemisphere. 

The QBO is currently +10 and rising. It will likely peak in the Winter. >10 events for the QBO are a strong phase. With La Nina tendencies occurring, although I'm not necessarily predicting a La Nina, I think the odds favor a cold 10mb N. Hemisphere vortex by about 2/3 or 67%. 

Cold 10mb is correlated to +AO conditions in the Wintertime. 

There are other things I have considered, that I may talk about later but here is my Winter forecast:

Winter Forecast

Temps:

z18.gif

Precip:

z19.png

I'd put my confidence as follows:

vs 10-year average: 65%

vs 30-year average: 75-80%

vs 50 year average: 80-85%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I do think that we will have some -EPO/+PNA periods, most likely in December-January but they likely won't last more than 10 days. The overall mean I think will be pretty above average, and we will have some very warm days on the East Coast this Winter, ahead of storms cutting up through the Midwest, Tenn/Ohio Valley and Great Lakes. 

February is the strongest month I have right now for warmer than average.

• 100% 1

1 hour ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I do think that we will have some -EPO/+PNA periods, most likely in December-January but they likely won't last more than 10 days. The overall mean I think will be pretty above average, and we will have some very warm days on the East Coast this Winter, ahead of storms cutting up through the Midwest, Tenn/Ohio Valley and Great Lakes. 

If we have a Christmas blizzard I will call it a winter and give it an A+!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I think here in the mid-Atlantic we end up with an above average temperature and below average snowfall winter, but we won't be too far from the averages.

I think January will most likely be the above average month, as I think this will be the snow lull. December is going to be close to average, with a snow event early in the month. Most of the snow and cold will be during the first 3 weeks of February.

On 10/10/2024 at 12:18 AM, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I have, over the years, developed a few tools that work with pretty high accuracy regarding the following Winter. 

First, where is the money and what is the "middle" of what people -- insurance companies, energy companies, etc., are predicting. 

Natural Gas Futures

Last year, the Natural Gas price in the Fall was extremely low, especially compared to Crude Oil/Gasoline, and this was a better predictor than seasonal models, which generally had a trough on the East Coast, US, from an expected El Nino pattern. 

Current Natural Gas price is $2.64. 

Here is a chart going back to 1998, highlighting the highest (blue) vs lowest (red) prices. 

z1.png

Higher Natural Gas price should be linked to colder weather in the eastern US, and Europe. and Lower Natural Gas price should be linked to warmer weather in the eastern US, and Europe. 

Here are the Highest Natural Gas years (blue):

z2.png

Here are the lower Natural Gas price years (red):

z3.png

z4.png

For October, here is where we rank:

1. 1998: $2.27

2. 2015: $2.3

3. 2019: $2.63

4. 2024: $2.64

5. 2023: $2.91

6. 1999: $2.95

26: 2006: $7.53

27: 2007: $8.33

28: 2004: $8.72

29: 2005: $12.2

Furthermore, because of inflation, the Crude Oil or Gasoline vs Natural Gas spread is a better gauge for relative value. 

We are currently #2 in this metric [since 1998], behind only last year (23-24). 

ENSO

I manually plotted all ENSO variables (200mb wind, 850mb wind, OLR, SSTs, SOI, pressure, MEI, etc.), and I found that the most correlated ENSO measurement to the North Pacific [PNA] pattern, is ENSO subsurface. This works at +0-time. 

Because of this, I use the subsurface primarily to determine what the ENSO state is, and is going to be for the Winter. Obviously, in the future, it could change, but right now we are completely Neutral. 

z5.png

For most of the year so far, we have been in a "La Nina" in the subsurface: 

z6.png

This has correlated with a -PNA pattern

z7.gif

Now that the subsurface has neutralized, the PNA is not correlating so highly

z8.gif

NAO

In 2005, I found that the N. Atlantic SSTs in a region from New Foundland to Greenland  from May-Sept has a high correlation to the following Winter's NAO. The correlation was almost 0.5 (or 75% of getting the sign right). I made a manual index of the region, and have followed its predictions every year since 2005. I estimated that this NAO predictor index has a 0.54SD at getting the Dec-March NAO correctly (+1.00 index is 50% odds of +0.46 to +1.54 DFJM NAO). In real time, that method has been 9-9 on the 0.54 SD since Inception, and it has gotten the phase correctly 13-5. That is real future time forecasting results. Here is what the index encompasses:

z9.gif

I weight the index as follows:

z10.png

It's been working out great in real-time. 

This year, the index comes out at: 

z11.gif

Top area: ~0.0 (x1.00)

Bottom area: ~+0.8 (x0.65)

Total: +0.52

+0.52 NAO predictor for Dec-Jan-Feb-Mar. 

That means there is a 50% chance the DJFM NAO will be -0.02 to +1.06 (using 0.54 standard deviation)

That gives a 74% chance of the Winter DJFM NAO being Positive overall. 

z12.gif

PDO

I have been burned on the PDO! I do not think SSTs lead, I think they are more secondary to atmospheric conditions. But the last 4 years, and actually the last 30 years, the PDO has performed admirably. The mathematical odds are something like 1/100 for random to hit as much as the PDO has over this time. Because of that, I will give it some credence. 

CURRENT PDO IS NEAR -3. 

That is 2nd on record for October, going back to the early 1900s. Only 1955 had a lower October PDO.

Here is what PDO correlation looks like in the Winter (map default is the "+" phase, you have to flip it around to get a negative PDO correlation). 

z13.gif

z14.gif

Rolled-forward North American Temps

December 2023 to August 2024 was the warmest on record for the CONUS, due mostly to +EPO pattern. 

I made an analog list of 30 matching analogs (75 total years in dataset.. 30 analogs is 40%) and I got a really strong signal the following Nov-March. 

When you have 40% of the dataset used, you'd expect the anomalies to come out at +1F, but what I found was a much stronger signal than that:

Dec-June analogs:

z15.png

Following Winter (40% of dataset!):

z16.png

Mexican Heat Wave in May

Mexico crushed records in May. I found that similar analogs rolled above average temperatures to the eastern 1/2 of the CONUS for the following Sept-March. 

Phoenix Heat Wave

It's the warmest Sept 25 - Oct 13 in Phoenix all time. I think they broke their 2-week record by more than +7F!

I came up with 20 + analogs and found this for the following Winter rolled-forward:

z17.png

Wintertime 10mb

QBO correlates with the Winter time 10mb state. When coupled with ENSO, its correlation is very strong. Going back to all records available, the correlation is 75% that +QBO/La Nina leads to a negative Wintertime 10mb in the Northern Hemisphere. 75% that -QBO/El Nino leads to a positive Wintertime 10mb in the Northern Hemisphere. 

The QBO is currently +10 and rising. It will likely peak in the Winter. >10 events for the QBO are a strong phase. With La Nina tendencies occurring, although I'm not necessarily predicting a La Nina, I think the odds favor a cold 10mb N. Hemisphere vortex by about 2/3 or 67%. 

Cold 10mb is correlated to +AO conditions in the Wintertime. 

There are other things I have considered, that I may talk about later but here is my Winter forecast:

Winter Forecast

Temps:

z18.gif

Precip:

z19.png

I'd put my confidence as follows:

vs 10-year average: 65%

vs 30-year average: 75-80%

vs 50 year average: 80-85%

Looks a lot like 1949-50.