• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Hurricane Milton Banter

2 minutes ago, dbullsfan said:

Most consensus seems to think this turns east well before Tampa now. This line doesn’t seem likely at all.

It is an extrapolation which ignores all other factors besides previous motion.  Not intended to be a forecast.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I have friends in Punta Gorda who stubbornly refuse to evacuate. I really hope they avoid the worst of this. Right on the water in a two story apartment building 

Yikes.  I think this likely exceeds Charlie in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area.  May actually be the zone of highest realized surge. 

• Like 1

Ya’ll weenies with your imby questions, storm cancel and posting just to say thoughts in your head. Keep that stuff in here

I 100% get this, unfortunately there isn’t much Met or more helpful comments in this thread, so when trying to find out if weakening or southern trends are going to affect certain areas. Like I was trying to ask it gets removed over there (which in storm mode again I understand) but it goes unanswered over here and so your kinda stuck not knowing where to ask the questions or if you ask them they just go unanswered which also sucks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 100% 1

8 minutes ago, Pityflakes said:

Yikes.  I think this likely exceeds Charlie in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area.  May actually be the zone of highest realized surge. 

Ugggh..Didn’t want to hear that. They just flat out refuse to go. It’s inexplicable 

7 minutes ago, Pityflakes said:

It wouldn't take much to exceed Charley in surge for that area.  It wasn't a factor.  Milton is a lock to exceed the surge and unlikely reach the same type of wind damage in Port C/PG.

1 minute ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Ugggh..Didn’t want to hear that. They just flat out refuse to go. It’s inexplicable 

Sorry to hear that.  Are they too young to remember Katrina?  Maybe have them read up on that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dbullsfan said:

I 100% get this, unfortunately there isn’t much Met or more helpful comments in this thread, so when trying to find out if weakening or southern trends are going to affect certain areas. Like I was trying to ask it gets removed over there (which in storm mode again I understand) but it goes unanswered over here and so your kinda stuck not knowing where to ask the questions or if you ask them they just go unanswered which also sucks.

These answers are most often there if you read what’s been posted. If a trend is happening it will be discussed. I understand that not everyone has model/map knowledge. AMWX has always been a place where people can learn, ask questions and have them explained. This can not happen during a storm. Doesn’t matter if it’s a hurricane, blizzard, ice storm, flooding, etc. There are way too many people posting at the same time and only so many green tags to control the valuable information that everyone needs to see. We do our best and unfortunately there’s only so much we can do when it’s go time for any storm system. 

• Like 2
  • 100% 1

Saw a post earlier in the main thread complaining about the government "hype" and implying a conspiracy theory about posts getting deleted. Glad they cleaned it up. You would think a weather forum of all places would be free from that idiotic crap. 

• Like 1

Thoughts with everyone down in the affected areas. As an NWS met (WFO Chicago), it always baffles me when I see coastal offices issuing special marine warnings during hurricane warnings. It's a waste of resources. Hoping at some point for a policy change to stop the silliness.

We at the WFOs need to be focusing on tornado and flash flood warnings on land, and constant flow of information to emergency/public safety partners and the public via NWSChat and social media, not spending time issuing marine warnings for fishes.

Just put waterspouts in the marine hurricane warning statements and in the gridded forecasts, and be done with it. If there's any boats out in a hurricane warning, that's on them.

• Thanks 1
  • 100% 5

9 hours ago, Nibor said:

DVadUhY.gif 

~14 hours

That's a huge precursor event happening to the northeast of the main circulation. The rainfall is going to certainly increase overall impacts.

I can't speak to all the individual choices that go into not evacuating, but in the case of my in-laws (on a canal in Port Charlotte), it is a toxic stew of nihilism/fatalism, MAGA-disenchantment with "experts" and just bad info or rationalizing based on past experience. My MIL last night said "It's a wait and see game as to where it makes landfall.  Actually it would be better if it lands closer to us  because a lot less surge if that happens." 

With Helene, the amount of people (at least per social media) in Appalachia who were "not expecting" to be impacted that way was an alarm bell that says how people are getting critical information is getting distorted by cord cutting and reliance on social media.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dbullsfan said:

Lutz, which is about 20-25 miles North of the Bayshore area in Tampa and 20-25 miles East of US 19/New Port Richey. 

I have family a little further north in Spring Hill and watching some areas around Tampa for a friend with family there. Obviously no met but if I can be helpful just tag me in here and I’ll answer if I can. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

1 hour ago, goctican said:

Not sure on the dynamics of your comment, but if I understand you correctly... Ruskin and Riverview have built up much more in recent years but still less populated than St Pete and Clearwater. However, Terra Ceia and Cockroach Bay are large preserves on the southern side of the Bay. Still homes there's but those two take up a lot of space. 

I know this is a more serious post, but forgive me I got a little stuck on this: There's a place called Cockroach Bay? Lololol That is funny--hey they oughta be able to survive anything :D

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hooralph said:

I can't speak to all the individual choices that go into not evacuating, but in the case of my in-laws (on a canal in Port Charlotte), it is a toxic stew of nihilism/fatalism, MAGA-disenchantment with "experts" and just bad info or rationalizing based on past experience. My MIL last night said "It's a wait and see game as to where it makes landfall.  Actually it would be better if it lands closer to us  because a lot less surge if that happens." 

With Helene, the amount of people (at least per social media) in Appalachia who were "not expecting" to be impacted that way was an alarm bell that says how people are getting critical information is getting distorted by cord cutting and reliance on social media.

What evac zone? I'm assuming A... which is going to be a very tragic decision if so, most likely. Not trying to doom out hype. They may still have an hour to go.