• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Hurricane Milton Banter

15 hours ago, dbullsfan said:

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but I'm a little worried that with the easy access to the coastline up and down the Tampa Bay area that this storm is going to bring out a lot of amateur storm chasers that don't have the proper training, knowledge or equipment to handle this kind of storm. 

The definition of Darwinism...

Obviously too early but I'd be breathing a sign of relief in Tampa this am based on weakening and track trends.  Even if they catch the eye wall, a broad eye of a Cat 2/3 struggling w/ dry air/structure isn't going to produce a devastating surge w/ a mostly offshore flow.  Surge will be more wind than pressure driven; could see Siesta Key and areas south hitting the max potential though of 10-15 feet.  

• Weenie 4

16 minutes ago, Pityflakes said:

Obviously too early but I'd be breathing a sign of relief in Tampa this am based on weakening and track trends.  Even if they catch the eye wall, a broad eye of a Cat 2/3 struggling w/ dry air/structure isn't going to produce a devastating surge w/ a mostly offshore flow.  Surge will be more wind than pressure driven; could see Siesta Key and areas south hitting the max potential though of 10-15 feet.  

The surge doesn’t diminish as fast as the winds do. See LA/MS from Katrina. It kept its huge surge even though it degraded significantly into a halfacane. 

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Before I go full on sarcasm, care to explain why you feel this way? I’m pretty sure a sting jet with gusts over 100mph well inland is a pretty big deal. 

She's hurting, everyone saying weakening badly, and south of TBA. Makes it meh. People already saying CAT1 landfall in main thread.

• Weenie 2
  • Crap 2
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, NoCORH4L said:

She's hurting, everyone saying weakening badly, and south of TBA. Makes it meh. People already saying CAT1 landfall in main thread.

Who’s “everyone” saying “weakening badly” and who’s definitely saying it makes landfall S of Tampa, an area still populated with hundreds of thousands of people? 

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Who’s “everyone” saying “weakening badly” and who’s definitely saying it makes landfall S of Tampa, an area still populated with hundreds of thousands of people? 

Everyone posting in the main thread. Yeah I mean it'll still be bad, but that's like saying a 3' snow storm is as bad for Albany as it is for NYC. 

4 minutes ago, NoCORH4L said:

Everyone posting in the main thread. Yeah I mean it'll still be bad, but that's like saying a 3' snow storm is as bad for Albany as it is for NYC. 

I see posts mentioning the presentation is getting better again and it’s borderline Cat 5. 

I don't see anyone in the main thread saying it is going to be a cat 1.

That also doesn't match any of the guidance from the National Hurricane Center. Their 11 am guidance has it at about 125 mph at landfall - a strong cat 3.

Also, most of the hi res hurricane models had the storm hitting around Clearwater or north. The farthest south models appear to be maybe around Sarasota. 

Even if it does weaken, if it stays at or near cat 5 for the next 24 hours the amount of surge that will build up is going to be devastating wherever that comes ashore. That doesn't wind down quickly.

Here are 2 important comments from the 11 am discussion

Milton is expected to maintain major hurricane strength while it 
moves across the Gulf of Mexico and approaches the west coast of 
Florida.  Stronger vertical shear is expected to set in about 24 
hours, but even if this causes some weakening, it will not be 
enough to keep Milton from being an extremely dangerous hurricane 
when it reaches shore.  Additionally, the first stages of 
extratropical transition may be just underway as Milton is reaching 
the coast, which could impart some baroclinic energy and slow the 
rate of weakening. 
Milton's wind field is expected to expand as it approaches Florida.
In fact, the official forecast shows the hurricane and
tropical-storm-force winds roughly doubling in size by the time it
makes landfall.  Therefore, damaging winds, life-threatening storm
surge, and heavy rainfall will extend well outside the forecast
cone.

27 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

I guess the government cancelled this one. 

Lol nah I'm not like that.  I'm just commenting on the general theme in the main thread. But ya now we're back to big time.

6 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

I don't see anyone in the main thread saying it is going to be a cat 1.

That also doesn't match any of the guidance from the National Hurricane Center. Their 11 am guidance has it at about 125 mph at landfall - a strong cat 3.

Also, most of the hi res hurricane models had the storm hitting around Clearwater or north. The farthest south models appear to be maybe around Sarasota. 

Even if it does weaken, if it stays at or near cat 5 for the next 24 hours the amount of surge that will build up is going to be devastating wherever that comes ashore. That doesn't wind down quickly.

Here are 2 important comments from the 11 am discussion

Milton is expected to maintain major hurricane strength while it 
moves across the Gulf of Mexico and approaches the west coast of 
Florida.  Stronger vertical shear is expected to set in about 24 
hours, but even if this causes some weakening, it will not be 
enough to keep Milton from being an extremely dangerous hurricane 
when it reaches shore.  Additionally, the first stages of 
extratropical transition may be just underway as Milton is reaching 
the coast, which could impart some baroclinic energy and slow the 
rate of weakening. 
Milton's wind field is expected to expand as it approaches Florida.
In fact, the official forecast shows the hurricane and
tropical-storm-force winds roughly doubling in size by the time it
makes landfall.  Therefore, damaging winds, life-threatening storm
surge, and heavy rainfall will extend well outside the forecast
cone.

If you don’t see the posts it’s because the mods are working bruh

1 hour ago, Pityflakes said:

44 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I see posts mentioning the presentation is getting better again and it’s borderline Cat 5. 

See above 

• Crap 1

6 hours ago, NoCORH4L said:

Are you in Florida? 

• Confused 1

Absolutely watching history right now. Cannot be stressed enough how serious the surge threat is for Florida. This second sub 900 intensification is the absolute last thing Florida needed. Katrina is the only other storm that’s in this ballpark, and somewhat similar in that, the surge will not match the landfall intensity. Scary stuff