• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Hurricane Milton Banter

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but I'm a little worried that with the easy access to the coastline up and down the Tampa Bay area that this storm is going to bring out a lot of amateur storm chasers that don't have the proper training, knowledge or equipment to handle this kind of storm. 

my post got deleted in the main Milton thread, but that's probably because it belongs here anyway but I didn't think so at first.

Anyway, Milton's eye is like 2 miles larger than the El Reno tornado's maximum radius, which goes to show how small the eye is. Impressive hurricane.

35 minutes ago, dbullsfan said:

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but I'm a little worried that with the easy access to the coastline up and down the Tampa Bay area that this storm is going to bring out a lot of amateur storm chasers that don't have the proper training, knowledge or equipment to handle this kind of storm. 

It’s called culling the herd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawdogGRNJ said:

Curious, why is the amount of wind shear that Milton has to go through to get to FL not forecast to weaken it dramatically?

Powerful storms create their own environment

Curious, why is the amount of wind shear that Milton has to go through to get to FL not forecast to weaken it dramatically?

(I am no met, but…)

Powerful hurricanes modify the environment around them making their interactions with sheer, dry air, etc. less predictable and often less damaging to internal structure.

With stronger hurricanes the complexities of internal structure changes during EWRC’s and interactions with other atmospheric features can be difficult to predict. Dry air and sheer can absolutely affect core structure, regardless of the size of a storm, however from years or being a weenie I’ve observed that smaller/compact hurricanes that reach higher intensities tend to be a little more resilient to stable air.

Again, my field of study is not in meteorological sciences, so I’m sure a met could explain this better, but that’s my 0.02$.

15 hours ago, marsman said:

With friends in the Ft. Myers area, my thought on the main Milton thread:  :(

savetampa.jpg

If Milton ends up hitting the same places Ian did, wonder how many will decide to just leave instead of rebuild again. Some of those towns got flooded in Helene too. I’d imagine it would be impossible to get any hurricane/flood insurance. And without massive sea walls I have no idea what you do about surge flooding especially with rising sea levels and people developing the most surge prone land.