• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Hurricane Milton Banter

3 minutes ago, skillsweather said:

I wonder how they can fly for so long without water/food lack of energy etc. I guess most don't and end up dead but even the fighters die eventually I guess just later on. Also that would be kind of crazy to have some survive and end up way inland and somehow form sea bird homes and growth. Say in Kansas lol.

It really depends on the species. Some birds (like petrels or albatrosses) can fly for weeks at a time over the ocean without stopping! Other species without that level of endurance might not be able to make it. :(

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Greatest County in the World

No question they’re in huge trouble if these tracks into Clearwater pan out. Even with the storm weakening some or even significantly the flooding will be horrendous. The surge doesn’t decrease as fast as the winds can and it’s also partly due to the storm’s overall size which will be expanding. Hopefully people are getting out of anyplace near sea level. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

No question they’re in huge trouble if these tracks into Clearwater pan out. Even with the storm weakening some or even significantly the flooding will be horrendous. The surge doesn’t decrease as fast as the winds can and it’s also partly due to the storm’s overall size which will be expanding. Hopefully people are getting out of anyplace near sea level. 

Agreed. We saw this with Katrina. It cycled down from Category 5 to Category 3 and people incorrectly thought it was an all clear situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retrobuc said:

I just found this out a few weeks ago, my son's friend works there and told me.  Who ever thought this was a good idea?

They have a wall they can put up to protect the hospital from storm surge. It survived Helene. Not sure it would survive this one though.

2 minutes ago, Seminole said:

Kind of like building a nuclear power plant next to the Pacific Ocean knowing you live on one of the worlds most active a fault zones. 

Yeah, wth? Apparently the hospital was built in the 1920’s - can’t believe they never decided to relocate it.

1 minute ago, gallopinggertie said:

Yeah, wth? Apparently the hospital was built in the 1920’s - can’t believe they never decided to relocate it.

It always amazed me how many homes near the Tampa coast are not on pilings. Luck as it seems may have finally run out.  

3 minutes ago, Seminole said:

It always amazed me how many homes near the Tampa coast are not on pilings. Luck as it seems may have finally run out.  

I wonder how many of them still even have flood insurance with all those companies cancelling plans in Florida.

3 hours ago, gallopinggertie said:

In Pinellas, many water plants are also located at sea level or near to it. They are finally working to move them but that's a longterm plan. Keep in mind, we do have other hospitals in the area.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Wannabehippie said:

I wonder how many of them still even have flood insurance with all those companies cancelling plans in Florida.

Here in the panhandle if you have an older home that is not on pilings you are looking at 40K annually to insure. That is why most are uninsured. 

• Thanks 1