Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Hurricane Milton Banter

27 minutes ago, Hotair said:

US Mets face death threats after hurricane Milton, Helene misinformation 

people are nuts and to think we share this world with them. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/oct/11/meteorologists-death-threats-hurricane-conspiracies-misinformation

Its not like the government has never tried to manipulate the weather...

https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/nws-heritage/-/almost-science-fiction-hurricane-modification-and-project-stormfury

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Crap 2

16 minutes ago, Retrobuc said:

https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/nws-heritage/-/almost-science-fiction-hurricane-modification-and-project-stormfury

This is well known. The first one that was seeded was one in 1947 that was moving NE OTS, meaning a seemingly safe one to seed. However, shortly afterward, it turned sharply (135 degrees to a westerly heading) and subsequently hit Savannah. There’s the possibility that the seeding weakened it enough to lower the mean steering level, which conceivably could have helped lead to more influence from a high to the north. I believe that that sharp turn and subsequent landfall lead to a stoppage of that program.

But I feel that bringing up these past experiments now is a red herring because they’re not occurring now. Marjorie T. Greene lied about this for pure political purposes, of course. She decided to just make up that “they” (meaning Democrats) were controlling Helene. The best thing would be for the media to ignore her.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, GaWx said:

This is well known. The first one that was seeded was one in 1947 that was moving NE OTS, meaning a seemingly safe one to seed. However, shortly afterward, it turned sharply (135 degrees to a westerly heading) and subsequently hit Savannah. There’s the possibility that the seeding weakened it enough to lower the mean steering level, which conceivably could have helped lead to more influence from a high to the north. I believe that that sharp turn and subsequent landfall lead to a stoppage of that program.

But I feel that bringing up these past experiments now is a red herring because they’re not occurring now. Marjorie T. Greene lied about this for pure political purposes, of course. She decided to just make up that “they” (meaning Democrats) were controlling Helene. The best thing would be for the media to ignore her.

The days after a disaster like this are some of the scariest and most uncertain in people’s lives and it’s…. despicable that con artists online and in the media out to monetize it somehow and scumbag politicians like MTG and other “conservatives” use it to help themselves politically (and of course drive donations and media appearances for themselves). It’s a feedback loop grift between social media for attention, influencers who want views, media that want ad dollars and ratings, and “conservative” politicians who want all of the above and votes. I can’t imagine what kind of a lowlife scumbag you have to be to threaten FEMA aid workers or meteorologists who are trying to help people through times like these. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • 100% 5

27 minutes ago, GaWx said:

You would never know if experiments like this were going on now anyway.  I'm not saying the government is purposely trying to send storms and injure people, that's crazy.  However, it is equally as crazy to think these types of programs are not going on regularly and sometimes go awry, like the hurricane seeding did.  Ask yourself how many things labeled conspiracy theories since 2020/Covid have actually been proven to have a high likelihood of being true or outright true?

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2
  • Crap 2
  • Disagree 3

26 minutes ago, Retrobuc said:

You would never know if experiments like this were going on now anyway.  I'm not saying the government is purposely trying to send storms and injure people, that's crazy.  However, it is equally as crazy to think these types of programs are not going on regularly and sometimes go awry, like the hurricane seeding did.  Ask yourself how many things labeled conspiracy theories since 2020/Covid have actually been proven to have a high likelihood of being true or outright true?

Agree but if it’s a congressional representative or ex president suggesting this and who apparently pretends to have access to this info, then it is incumbent on them to show their evidence or else stfu.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hotair said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/oct/11/meteorologists-death-threats-hurricane-conspiracies-misinformation

2 hours ago, gallopinggertie said:

Idiocracy.

1 hour ago, Retrobuc said:

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!!!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Retrobuc said:

Many apparently don't think there's such things as Conspiracies. Those are the one's that can easily be controlled or get the wool pulled over their Eyes. Much of the reason is political. If Satan took over their Party they'd blind themselves to it and go right along with him. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

5 hours ago, gallopinggertie said:

I post on a certain other regional weather forum, and some of the people there don’t even believe climate change is real. One of them said these conspiracy theories are the fault of climate scientists. Absolutely unhinged 

Exactly . Everything is conspiracy theories to many. Climate change is obvious. You must have missed my point in the above post you reacted to.

On 10/10/2024 at 1:15 PM, Pityflakes said:

This.  

Can we please shelve the "surge is baked in because it used to be a Cat 5" myth.  Which as far as I can tell isn't based on anything other than people invoking Katrina.  Seems like surge is actually way more complicated and difficult to predict, but appears much more sensitive to topography, fetch, wind direction and duration, etc.  Wind speed of course matters (an actual 140/150 mph cane at landfall is going to push a lot of water, but those extreme impacts are localized to the actual eye wall), but "historical" wind speed/pressure of a storm is less relevant.  

ETA: I'm not downplaying the impact of Milton or suggesting it was a "bust" somehow.  But rather I'm suggesting that the surge impacts played out exactly like one would expect from a robust Cat 2/3 given approach angle and topography.  

I think the problem with using Katrina as an example of "surge being baked in" is that Katrina was a massive category 5 that weakened IMMEDIATELY before landfall.  Even though Katrina made landfall as a cat 3, it still made landfall with a central pressure of 920 mb, which is comparable to a cat 5.  I mean look at these two satelite images... do you really think these would produce anywhere close to the same surges?

I'm no professional meteorologist but I think the biggest factor for surge is the size of the storm.  We clearly saw that with Sandy, Ian, Helene, Katrina, as opposed to tiny storms like Charley and Milton.

hur.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 100% 1

Totally disagree with the “surge is already baked in” notion with small storms. With a large storm like Helene, Ike, Katrina, Laura, yes, sure. If it was a large strong hurricane when the storms winds reached shelf waters, landfall intensity matters very little for surge values. There is nothing wrong with over-preparing and I think Florida did an incredible job getting people out of harms way. The majority of the deaths from this storm were from the tornado outbreak which you cannot really prepare for 

The only small storm I can think of that produced a significant surge was hurricane Andrew (16 feet I believe).  For the small storm to produce substantial surge it basically has to be a cat five nuclear grade cane.  Even charley didn’t produce much.  

2 hours ago, Normandy said:

The only small storm I can think of that produced a significant surge was hurricane Andrew (16 feet I believe).  For the small storm to produce substantial surge it basically has to be a cat five nuclear grade cane.  Even charley didn’t produce much.  

Tropical cyclone Tracy 1974 the smallest landfalling major in history had a peak surge of 13’. And tropical storm force winds only extened out 30 miles. So yes is is very important but so is intensity. 

• 100% 1

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Tropical cyclone Tracy 1974 the smallest landfalling major in history had a peak surge of 13’. And tropical storm force winds only extened out 30 miles. So yes is is very important but so is intensity. 

That’s a good shout.  Tracy is an interesting case study and makes me wonder if it was a bit more intense than realized.  A cyclone that small is essentially producing a tsunami like water rise which has to have tremendous wind to generate it at such a small and localized scale

It reads in this thread that the people still posting- in a continuing discussion about storm surge- have all accepted that Milton was a tiny or small hurricane. Milton’s 255 mile extent of tropical storm force winds heading into landfall is not indicative of a small storm. Sure, the extent of hurricane force winds didn’t expand to what was originally modeled, but a 35 mile extent is not tiny, just “regularly” compact. 

Milton was a large storm with plenty of ground observations showing damaging winds well away from the landfall point on Florida’s west coast. The extent of strong winds didn’t start large and instead increased from the day before steadily into landfall, so this wasn’t a situation with multiple days of huge fetch pushing toward the coast. 

As for the storm surge discussion, as people have pointed out, coastal Sarasota County and Charlotte County have a dearth of tidal gauges. The video evidence from parts of that coast point to a 10’+ surge. So, I think the NHC Tropical Cyclone Report for Milton will be illuminating and I would guess it would justify the 10’+ forecast for a stretch of the coast Sarasota city southward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100% 1

48 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

It reads in this thread that the people still posting- in a continuing discussion about storm surge- have all accepted that Milton was a tiny or small hurricane. Milton’s 255 mile extent of tropical storm force winds heading into landfall is not indicative of a small storm. Sure, the extent of hurricane force winds didn’t expand to what was originally modeled, but a 35 mile extent is not tiny, just “regularly” compact. 

Milton was a large storm with plenty of ground observations showing damaging winds well away from the landfall point on Florida’s west coast. The extent of strong winds didn’t start large and instead increased from the day before steadily into landfall, so this wasn’t a situation with multiple days of huge fetch pushing toward the coast. 

As for the storm surge discussion, as people have pointed out, coastal Sarasota County and Charlotte County have a dearth of tidal gauges. The video evidence from parts of that coast point to a 10’+ surge. So, I think the NHC Tropical Cyclone Report for Milton will be illuminating and I would guess it would justify the 10’+ forecast for a stretch of the coast Sarasota city southward. 

The damage in Punta Gorda with boats tossed around town and the severe structural damage on the barrier islands looks like it was a serious surge, 10’ or higher like you said. There was a gauge in Sarasota that apparently recorded 10 foot surge, and the worst surge may have been south of there in the harbors/inlets that channel in the water. 

• 100% 1

On 10/11/2024 at 12:05 PM, Hotair said:

Not to mention FEMA is having to pull out of places in NC bc an armed militia is actively hunting them.    

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Normandy said:

That’s a good shout.  Tracy is an interesting case study and makes me wonder if it was a bit more intense than realized.  A cyclone that small is essentially producing a tsunami like water rise which has to have tremendous wind to generate it at such a small and localized scale

I'm guessing a lot of storms back then were stronger than they were actually measured.  Now we have tons of flights going in, much better satellite images, tons of chasers, many more stations and way more ways to measure storms as they are happening.  A lot of tech happened in 50 years time to get better measurements.  

13 hours ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

Not to mention FEMA is having to pull out of places in NC bc an armed militia is actively hunting them.    

Blown WAY out of proportion.   There were no militia "actively hunting" FEMA - it was one guy who made some verbal threats, and he's been arrested.

• Like 1

I am not a big fan of people measuring a hurricane season based on dollars. Everything cost more every single year - houses, properties, cars, boats, etc, and then there is just simply more 'stuff' at the coast year over year. Not really surprising the financial cost increases. I live on the coast and I take our environmental concerns very seriously, but just do not like the idea that total cost of storms = worse hurricane season than XYZ year - if that makes sense.

On 10/11/2024 at 12:16 PM, Retrobuc said:

Does any one have a non biased source that documents historical sea levels for Florida towns?  there seems to be no shortage of people wanting to own on barrier islands even with these storms. Id like to see historical sea level heights to pattern what the rise actually is.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2024/southern-us-sea-level-rise-risk-cities/

For this analysis, The Post relied on tide gauge data, which reflects the rise in sea level and sinking of land. 

For example, Galveston, TX (Galveston Pier 21 gauge) has seen 6.1 inches of Sea Level rise from 1980 to 2009 and an additional 8.4 inches of sea level rise from 2010-2023. That's 14.5 inches in 44 years with the majority of the rise occuring in the last 14 years as the pace has increased.

The Fort Pulaski guage outside of Savannah, GA has seen 7.3 inches of sea level rise in the last 14 years. (After 3.7 inches of rise in the previous 30 years). 

The most interesting part of their analysis is dividing it up by time. It allows you to see how much the rates of rise are increasing.

Also interesting to note that the article goes into some detail it is not only sea level rise (that is the biggest part), but also the sinking of land.

Finally, it is not consistent across the country, or the world. Some areas are seeing sea level rise at much faster rates than other areas. In the US it is the SE - particularly the Gulf of Mexico and the Southern Atlantic that is seeing the fastest sea level rise. The rates in that area are often 2-3 times faster than in the mid-atlantic or NE.