• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Hurricane Milton Banter

5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Jesus, you guys are deleting posts fast on the main thread. I’m sure SENC will be in here soon to talk about how much of a bust this was 

Banter threads are still accessible to the general public.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JACKASS said:

I hear you, but this is still on the wxside where I sent family members to educate themselves on their situation, only to see this shitshow!

OT is members only and they have no access to it, but banter threads are accessible to everyone.

I’m disappointed to have to point this out.

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Noted. I’ll just make hyperbolic statements as if I was a teenager with limited experience or world view.

I've been in the thread for days now deleting posts. There are only so many of us and we have jobs, family, recovering from a hurricane, parent in the hospital, ya know life. Yet we are here, doing what we can to control the flow, while everyone spews whatever thought flows through their head and out of the keyboard. It's unbelievable that I'm having to defend myself because I don't hold up to your so called standards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • 100% 4

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Too many kids, idiots, and tropical cyclone novices (read: people from landlocked areas) in these threads 

OK. I should have started with this.  Keep this crap up and you will not have to worry about what’s in the threads.  Drop it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I've been in the thread for days now deleting posts. There are only so many of us and we have jobs, family, recovering from a hurricane, parent in the hospital, ya know life. Yet we are here, doing what we can to control the flow, while everyone spews whatever thought flows through their head and out of the keyboard. It's unbelievable that I'm having to defend myself because I don't hold up to your so called standards

Sorry, was never my intention to call out the mods here. My comment was targeted to the shitheads that find it amusing to downplay the current situation.

My bad if I didn’t express my feelings better.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JACKASS said:

Sorry, was never my intention to call out the mods here. My comment was targeted to the shitheads that find it amusing to downplay the current situation.

I’m not sure who is trying to “downplay” the situation.

All I’ve seen is some juxtaposition of the reality and the hyperbolic discussion preceding today, which involved sensationalist talk.

I think there’s just a group of us that would prefer more objectivity and realist takes.

• Weenie 1
  • Crap 1

You are fighting a strawman.

Yes, there was overhyped coverage of this storm, if you consume awful media, just like there's awful coverage of all sorts if you don't know what to read and how to read.

What there really was, from professional places, whether less sensationalized news or otherwise, was the distribution of a very accurate forecast that seems to be verifying with some really significant accuracy. The uncertainty baked into that forecast is necessary, and yes, it could have been worse if this was N of tampa, but the very near risk of that happening, given the uncertainty, meant that that worst case scenario, still eminently plausible, needed to be discussed and communicated, and acted upon as though it came to pass.

Now, if some cretins were talking as though this hurricane was going to be a cat 5 at landfall and erase Tampa off the map, then those folks are idiots, however I haven't heard them on here. The vast majority of discussion has been reasonable, and thanks to the mods for that. Yes, people nerded out when the storm achieved as close to perfection as a hurricane can. That's kindof what a weather nerd of any stripe should do. The idiots I've heard most today have been an entirely different, equally unhelpful flavor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JACKASS said:

I totally understand your frustration. For every post you see that shouldn't be there, know that there are 20 others posted at the same time that were deleted. That is probably an underestimated amount too. I have no idea how many posts are deleted per storm or even per day, but it's an insane amount. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

I’m not sure who is trying to “downplay” the situation.

All I’ve seen is some juxtaposition of the reality and the hyperbolic discussion preceding today, which involved sensationalist talk.

I think there’s just a group of us that would prefer more objectivity and realist takes.

Take it somewhere else.

I have family members trying to make life changing decisions based on posts here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I totally understand your frustration. For every post you see that shouldn't be there, know that there are 20 others posted at the same time that were deleted. That is probably an underestimated amount too. I have no idea how many posts are deleted per storm or even per day, but it's an insane amount. 

This is why I tagged Randy.

It’s obvious reading through the banter thread that there are posters who are there to just make a mockery of the situation.

B Maybe I’m off base here, but shouldn’t banter should be for those of us no that don’t fully understand the terminology used in the main thread and have questions regarding their personal situations.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JACKASS said:

It’s obvious reading through the banter thread that there are posters who are there to just make a mockery of the situation.

B Maybe I’m off base here, but shouldn’t banter should be for those of us no that don’t fully understand the terminology used in the main thread and have questions regarding their personal situations.

Totally agree, there are definitely posts in this thread that are clearly not in good faith and straight up just trolling. Should be a no tolerance for that kind of thing in banter or otherwise on the wx side and just be an instant ban... However, I also feel for the mods that have enough on their hands in the main thread alone so it’s totally unfair to expect them to police the banter thread as well. It’s a shame that some people feel the need to troll a weather board but unfortunately there’s no shortage of immature morons on the internet that don’t receive enough attention in their daily life. Best thing to do is just ignore them and go about your business as if they don’t exist. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JACKASS said:

Those questions are usually answered in the main thread up until it's go time. Once the system is within a couple of days of impact, there are just too many posts at the same time for the knowledgeable people to answer. I wish I had an answer. We used to be able to 5 post people, but haven't had that option in years. 

4 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Those questions are usually answered in the main thread up until it's go time. Once the system is within a couple of days of impact, there are just too many posts at the same time for the knowledgeable people to answer. I wish I had an answer. We used to be able to 5 post people, but haven't had that option in years. 

Damn, that sucks. That’s a pretty good tool to curtail some of the crap we see 

• Like 1

Don’t y’all losers get tired of constantly showing your ass each storm? 92 sustained at Venice now.  Several gusts in the 90s on the north side:  the fucking tornado outbreak.  Y’all losers can’t be satisfied.  Storm was a fucking banger

• Like 4
  • 100% 1