• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Milton

12 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Replace the x with twitter, recopy paste then hit space. If on mobile you have to replace the x with twitter in a web browser before copying it over. 

Edit: just realized if on mobile you just have to click the message that says "paste as plain text instead" and it'll embed you still have to replace x with twitter.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, TradeWinds said:

Orlando international just measured an 86 mph gusts per WFTV. That's on the front side. 

I thought Helene was impressive inland but this might even be wilder.  Still showing very strong winds aloft.  One has to wonder once it gets to the east coast of Florida is it going to intensify? 

347C7F0A-C691-4136-837C-18F08229CC3C.jpeg

Really starting to get that  warm core seclusion look on the radar. Winds on the south side of this will likely persist inland further than normal if the tropical airmass holds on in the core long enough which it seems to be doing.

Ft Myers water level has now peaked. Slightly higher than Helene but two feet lower than Ian. Now second worst since that station was in.

The surge forecast around Tampa Bay is just having to sit on a fence, given uncertainty of landfall detail, but the south of landfall storm surge seems to be underperforming expectation in general thankfully. The surges we can see so far are very similar to Helene, which while such a big beast, passed these areas so much more distantly, and without these winds driving the water.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

It is. Almost 2.3 million without power statewide right now: 

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/florida

Damn......hopefully the repair does not involve the large transmission lines......when those go down they have to get those first before they can do the local stuff......we had that happen in Oct 2011 Halloween Blizzard here in CT when a foot of early snow took down everything.......10 days we went without power largely due to the huge transmission mains going down......other world like

• Like 2

Check this amazing stat: St Petersburg got over 18” of rain yesterday!! How big is that? Since records started in 1916, the prior record high for any one day was 9.61” on 9/5/1933 (from storm #11 that hit SE FL as a MH and then moved just NW of Tampa). They got 7.76” on 6/23/1945 from a H that had a landfall 100 miles to the N. They received 7.42” on 9/4/1935 from the Labor Day Hurricane moving N just offshore. None of these days are even close to what Milton gave them! And steady rain is still falling there! 

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/FL/St-Petersburg/extreme-annual-st-petersburg-precipitation.php

• Like 4

Well for me the big "takes" were (a) tornados and (b) Tampa Bay dodged the very costly 12' surge, as far as I know it will be reasonably minor even after winds turn around more westerly -- and despite getting nailed by wind and rain, I would imagine this reduces total damage (and misery) by 90%. And I don't think it came at the expense of worse outcomes to south which were going to be almost same anyway. 

But I do recall the brief interval when people thought "New Orleans has escaped" before the levees gave way. There is no obvious similar risk but these tremendous rainfalls will no doubt have some severe impacts on valuable property and infrastructure. 

TPA peak wind gust was 85 with 12” total rainfall.  72% power outage rate in Hillsborough County as of last update.

Daybreak will reveal scenes of trees down everywhere and damage to structures.  Tons of standing water, we get that here from PM summer thunderstorms, let alone a foot of rain.

Significant impact but manageable.  Anything close to peak surge would have been an entirely different story this morning.  We’ll see versions of that devastation down the coast.

No idea of personal impacts.  Lost power and feeds to the security cameras at 9 last night.  Not expecting any structural flooding from the rain, but may have tree damage to the house.

• Like 4

Milton about to exit the FL east coast ~10 miles north of Cape Canaveral as an 85 mph Cat 1 hurricane still, which is pretty close to the forecast from the past few days. We'll begin to really see the extent of the damage at the coast and inland across the peninsula with sunrise soon.

Hurricane Milton Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL142024
400 AM EDT Thu Oct 10 2024

...STRONG WINDS SPREAD ALONG THE EAST COAST OF FLORIDA AS THE CENTER
OF MILTON NEARS CAPE CANAVERAL...
...400 AM EDT POSITION UPDATE...

A sustained wind of 83 mph (134 km/h) and a gust to 92 mph (148
km/h) was recently reported at a Weatherstem station in Marineland.
A sustained wind of 67 mph (108 km/h) and a gust to 73 mph (117
km/h) was recently reported at a Weatherstem station on South
Hutchinson Island. A sustained wind of 54 mph (87 km/h) and a gust
of 83 mph (133 km/h) was recently reported at buoy 41069 near Ponce
de Leon Inlet. A sustained wind of 54 mph (87 km/h) and a gust of 84
mph (135 km/h) was recently reported at Daytona Beach International
Airport.

This will be the final hourly position update for Milton since the
center of the hurricane is moving offshore of the east coast of
Florida. The next full forecast advisory for Milton will be at 500
AM EDT (0900 UTC).

SUMMARY OF 400 AM EDT...0800 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.5N 80.7W
ABOUT 10 MI...20 KM NW OF CAPE CANAVERAL FLORIDA
ABOUT 35 MI...55 KM E OF ORLANDO FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...135 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 55 DEGREES AT 18 MPH...30 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...977 MB...28.85 INCHES

• Like 2

The surge at Sarasota came in around 10 feet. Unfortunately, that part of Florida doesn’t have a good coverage of tide gauges. So it’s quite possible the highest surge will have to be estimated based on water marks in buildings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The surge at Sarasota came in around 10 feet. Unfortunately, that part of Florida doesn’t have a good coverage of tide gauges. So it’s quite possible the highest surge will have to be estimated based on water marks in buildings.

That was before the storm made landfall Im sure it was much higher then that for a final Height

I am shocked Tropicana Field was used for staging when I heard that. I figured well if they are using it to stage the roof must be equip to handle winds up to a large magnitude but with those wind forecasts I was figuring that roof would blow off. Didn't hear anything of injuries (haven't checked though) but hopefully nobody was injured. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

Family in Sarasota is all safe with appears to be mostly minor damage.

The house on the bay never flooded - water never surged for them. In Helene it destroyed their boat dock and pool / hot tub. 

Lots of trees down and debris and shingles gone and facia off but all fixable. No broken windows from what I know. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Family in Sarasota is all safe with appears to be mostly minor damage.

The house on the bay never flooded - water never surged for them. In Helene it destroyed their boat dock and pool / hot tub. 

Lots of trees down and debris and shingles gone and facia off but all fixable. No broken windows from what I know. 

I thought for sure Sarasota would have a pretty bad surge. I wonder which area got the worst surge?  It sounds like the entire coast got somewhat lucky in what could’ve been a much worse scenario.

• Like 1