• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Milton

Just now, WolfStock1 said:

Part of the problem is that all the buoys that were near they eye were all out of commission.  :-(

image.png.7511c9954b958db84e36b7f0486cc7f4.png

Closet one was Venice, which looked like this:

5-day plot - Wind Speed, Wind Gust and Atmospheric Pressure at VENF1

Give that though - one would have thought that Venice would have registered a lot more than 62 mph sustained, given that it was pretty much at the eye wall.   Only thing I can figure is that it's because these are so close to the water or land - the wind levels are lower due to surface friction.  

That shows wind speed in knots not mph.

2 minutes ago, WolfStock1 said:

Part of the problem is that all the buoys that were near they eye were all out of commission.  :-(

image.png.7511c9954b958db84e36b7f0486cc7f4.png

Closet one was Venice, which looked like this:

5-day plot - Wind Speed, Wind Gust and Atmospheric Pressure at VENF1

Give that though - one would have thought that Venice would have registered a lot more than 62 mph sustained, given that it was pretty much at the eye wall.   Only thing I can figure is that it's because these are so close to the water or land - the wind levels are lower due to surface friction.  

Strongest winds were on the north when it made landfall 

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

Strongest winds were on the north when it made landfall 

Not totally true.  The south side produced the best winds (92 sustained, 107 gust) because of the sting jet.  To be fair the north side was strong too.  It was a very symmetrical storm

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Did any station verify 120mph sustained winds?  No buoys did.

Is this a common theme with most storms?

13 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

It’s an unbelievably common theme. Landfall winds almost never verify 

12 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

These winds are felt offshore where there is no friction. Maybe a very small area right on the beach did. 

3 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Thanks.  I've always wondered about this.  I understand the philosophy and how the scientific means of measurement and classification process goes, but it seems imperfect with regard to how the public may perceive it.   Im also aware of plenty of storms that have verified. Some have greatly exceeded, leading to re-classification.  

It’s one of those things where multiple data points will confirm the intensity of a storm, for the reasons stated above. 

Here’s one good data point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

May have been Ida. That was really bad rain wise for my area, eastern PA and NJ, and S NJ I remember there being a tornado outbreak south of the track. 

Was definitely Ida. Caused a huge tornado outbreak across Delaware up into NJ 

19 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Co worker in st Petersburg just replied and said there are branches down and a lot of street flooding but at least at his location not too much damage. They held power until well after it made landfall. Sounds like back half was the worst for them. Conditions Improving at his location 

CB radio station reporting at least 1.6 million without power. 

4 minutes ago, Normandy said:

Velocities are increasing from the last post I made.  Incredible storm

C365AD9F-4968-4F29-9A07-59ACDF75B38A.jpeg

With the ET transition that's evident there's probably some energy being brought in from the jet it's interacting with. With Sandy I also remember a pronounced sting jet.

• 100% 1

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

KTPA 100318Z AUTO 34047G81KT 2SM +RA OVC016 A2915 RMK AO2 PK WND 35084/0306 PRESRR P0027 $

1 minute ago, Chinook said:

92mph down the bay

hurricane milton radar 10 onshore.jpg

Real impressive stuff. I hope inland folks are prepared.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

These winds are felt offshore where there is no friction. Maybe a very small area right on the beach did. 

There's friction at the water's surface - it's just a lot less than the friction over land, due to surface roughness/terrain. The boundary layer from the surface (water or land) goes from zero velocity right at the surface (the no slip condition, where molecules in contact with the stationary surface have no velocity) to a steady state velocity some height above the surface and that velocity is significantly lower at ~10m above the surface (where winds are measured) of land vs. water.  It always surprises me that people don't understand that hurricane winds over land are almost never as strong as those over water, due to friction effects, mostly. 

Having said all that, I've always wondered how a hurricane's speed is measured when it's over land they report 10m surface winds, but I doubt Milton has 105 mph sustained winds at 10 m above the surface where wind speeds are typically measured.  I believe there's still enough of a frictional effect at 10m to have the measured winds be lower over land than what the algorithms are spitting out for the hurricane (but I have no "proof" of that).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wannabehippie said:

I am surprised that they did not secure it before Milton hit. They had plenty of notice to do so.

13 minutes ago, Wannabehippie said:

I am surprised that they did not secure it before Milton hit. They had plenty of notice to do so.

Depending on the crane it can take 3-10 days to fully dismantle. Many times they are to be allowed to swivel (ie, left in an unlocked position). Unfortunately that does not normally work for Cat 2/3+ type winds 

• Like 1