• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Milton

9 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

The 12z NAM is basically a worst case track for Tampa bay. The more east trajectory after moving into the bay really allows the surge threat to get amplified with the Gulf water rushing in behind the circulation. 

It’s the NAM but should give some clues directionally on the rest of the 12z suite.

Also shows a swath of 12-18" of rain with locally higher amounts over most of the I-4 corridor. Even though likely overdone, that's going to cause a lot of problems to go with the tornados and tropical storm force winds.

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Imo if the center makes its way ~due east of Tampa, in close proximity you will see the gulf rush into Tampa bay in the direction of Tampa. That would maximize the threat to Tampa specifically 

Just going to watch from here on out...I have endured enough weenie shrapnel from insisting this is coming north. It should be pretty apparent now viewing RAD.

Hope folks in TB flood zones heeded warnings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 3
  • 100% 7

One variable will be the timing of landfall with respect to the tide. Here are the predicted astronomical tides at TB:

Low at 2:19PM
High at ~6:50AM at ~2.8 ft

Looks like it is projected to landfall only ~2 hours before high tide per the slower Euro but more like 5-6 hours before per several other models. That could make a 1 foot or so difference as far as highest water level (combo of surge and tide level) with Euro being ~1 foot higher for the highest water level just due to being closer to high tide.

Looks like surface pressure is up to around 932 millibars as the hurricane rapidly fills late this morning. The damage is done surge-wise; and we'll see how the extropical transition enhances wind gusts across Florida tomorrow morning. I'd put maximum sustained winds around 130 MPH at the moment. Category 4+ storm surge will occur near and south of landfall tonight regardless of the 'wind' category. 

• Like 3

Don't remember this kind of language on surge gradients from NHC:

We would like to emphasize that Milton's exact landfall location is
not possible to predict even at this time, particularly if the
hurricane wobbles during the day and into this evening.  Even at
12-24 hours, NHC's track forecasts can be off by an average of 20-30
nm.  Since storm surge forecasts are highly sensitive to the exact
track, this means that the realized storm surge heights across the
Tampa Bay region and south may vary widely, and there will likely be
a noticeable gradient of surge heights to the north of the landfall
location.  However, the risk of devastating storm surge still exists
across much of the west-central and southwest coast of Florida given
the size of the storm and the uncertainties in exactly where
landfall will occur.
  • Like 3

winds are starting to spread out

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 35 miles (55 km) from the
center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 175 miles
(280 km). A NOAA saildrone (SD-1083) located approximately 80 miles
northeast of the center recently reported a sustained wind of 44 mph
(71 km/h) with a gust of 57 mph (91 km/h).

1 minute ago, beanskip said:

Don't remember this kind of language on surge gradients from NHC:

We would like to emphasize that Milton's exact landfall location is
not possible to predict even at this time, particularly if the
hurricane wobbles during the day and into this evening.  Even at
12-24 hours, NHC's track forecasts can be off by an average of 20-30
nm.  Since storm surge forecasts are highly sensitive to the exact
track, this means that the realized storm surge heights across the
Tampa Bay region and south may vary widely, and there will likely be
a noticeable gradient of surge heights to the north of the landfall
location.  However, the risk of devastating storm surge still exists
across much of the west-central and southwest coast of Florida given
the size of the storm and the uncertainties in exactly where
landfall will occur.

The NHC does a tremendous job. After Francine’s eastward shift toward New Orleans late and Helene’s eastward shift toward Perry late I think it’s good that they are even more explicit in stating that a forecast can still have narrow in the whole scheme of things but tremendous uncertainty on final landfall point this late. 

Just now, kvegas-wx said:

931mb / 145mph Cat 4....but ugh the tornadoes!!  Could this be the bigger story?

No, it’ll almost certainly be the surge. It’s almost always the most devastating part of a hurricane of this magnitude. Tornadoes are serious, but just the prelude to the worst unfortunately. 

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

24 minutes ago, David Reimer said:

Looks like surface pressure is up to around 932 millibars as the hurricane rapidly fills late this morning. The damage is done surge-wise; and we'll see how the extropical transition enhances wind gusts across Florida tomorrow morning. I'd put maximum sustained winds around 130 MPH at the moment. Category 4+ storm surge will occur near and south of landfall tonight regardless of the 'wind' category. 

Now is that 130MPH over water or on land?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Dumb question here.....Why doesn't the SPC have a higher risk for tornados across the swath where Milton is expected to cross Florida?  I understand that possibly the Hurricane warnings might be covering the intensity of the storm, but I would think that SPC would definitely have this set as at least a Moderate or even High risk due to the extreme winds.  If the SPC and NHC use different criteria for these forecasts, shouldn't they somewhat agree for an event like this?

The local NWS offices issue "Extreme Wind Warnings" for along where the eyewall comes ashore. But the SPC & the NHC separate hurricane winds with severe storm winds. Local NWS offices do as well. They issue Tropical Storm & Hurricane Warnings to address high wind events from Tropical systems. They'll issue tornado warnings but not severe thunderstorm warnings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Eye nearing latitude of Everglades City.

image.png.f10a518901eb3c97e2f7f7626ba98ae9.png

Was just about to post on this, a bit difficult to have a true feel but it seems like it's kind of re-formed a bit farther north and west with a northerly movement (basing on IR). I would want to think we would want to see a more easterly trajectory no later than 27N...or just a few ticks above 27N to really feel confident about lessening potential for greatest surge into the Bay

• Like 4
  • 100% 1

2 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

Per the official 15Z NHC update Milton's IKE has increased to 47 TJ. For point of comparison Charley 2004 had an IKE of only 12 TJ.

47 with likely 60-75 at LF, that’s going to cause some serious issues on the surge front (no surprise). 42 is around what Rita had if I’m not mistaken. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Iceman said:

105 TJ

Yeah I’m seeing this

”At landfall in southern Louisiana and Mississippi, Katrina had weakened to SS3 status (52 m s–1), but the marine- equivalent wind field in the storm core expanded (Fig. 1c) resulting in a respective IKETS of 122 TJ.” From an AOML article. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Was just about to post on this, a bit difficult to have a true feel but it seems like it's kind of re-formed a bit farther north and west with a northerly movement (basing on IR). I would want to think we would want to see a more easterly trajectory no later than 27N...or just a few ticks above 27N to really feel confident about lessening potential for greatest surge into the Bay

Looks to be jogging NNE at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1