• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Milton

4 minutes ago, Wannabehippie said:

Even with that weakening, the storm surge will be massive, as it probably won't be quick enough to have that slack off at all.

Yes the wind field will expand significantly. 

That aside the steep weakening seen on the Hurricane model guidance also has the track furthest north into the worst shear environment. 

I’m with the globals on track EPS/GEFS, which are further south. Unfavorable upper air, but relatively less hostile…

• 100% 1

The radial expansion of the wind field upon landfall requires a physical reduction in wind velocity; that’s conservation of angular momentum.

Some of this exposes the flaws in our hurricane categorization on wind speed alone, but I digress…

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • 100% 8

This is not only historic but absolutely jaw-dropping what we are witnessing in the Atlantic Basin right now. Only a handful of times in the satellite era have we seen a hurricane achieve upper-echelon intensity. 5 times to be exact with Milton likely being the sixth.

2005 Wilma- 882mb

1988 Gilbert- 888mb

1935 Labor Day Hurricane - 892mb

2005 Rita- 895mb

1980 Allen- 899mb

Milton 1.jpg

Milton 3.jpg

Milton 4.jpg

Milton 5.jpg

Milton 2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • 100% 3

1 minute ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

Perfect symmetry of CDO and overall as textbook as you can get with an ATL Basin hurricane.

IMG_8156.jpeg

Just stunning. I am just amazed this is moving west to east vs our typical east to west movement. The norms are being thrown out the window so often now, it seems.

• Like 5
  • 100% 1

Once again the gfs looks like it will nail another storm with strength and direction. Not sure why you guys are even looking at the euro. It did crap with Helene. GFS is king til it isnt. Also with Helene GFS wasnt showing the sheer and weaking like other models were kinda the same story with this storm.

• Like 2

Very curious to see what recon finds this afternoon. Certainly looks to still be intensifying, but man, I’m just not sure how much more intensification the environment can actually support. Could be an all time recon incoming if intensification is continuing. 

2 minutes ago, MUWX said:

Very curious to see what recon finds this afternoon. Certainly looks to still be intensifying, but man, I’m just not sure how much more intensification the environment can actually support. Could be an all time recon incoming if intensification is continuing. 

Anyone know when the next plane takes off?

Yeah, this is about as structurally sound as it gets. Hopefully the recon will get back in there soon to continue documenting it, but unless there’s a messy ERC the HAFS-B might be right in the structural changes in the next 24-30 hours.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alfoman said:

An absolute crime we don't have a plane in there right now - want to see the peak this gets to. 

They’re certainly doing the best they can. They’re weenies as much as we are. But they have limited crews, planes, and procedural schedules to live by—probably some of it for safety reasons. 

• Like 2
  • 100% 4

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

They’re certainly doing the best they can. They’re weenies as much as we are. But they have limited crews, planes, and procedural schedules to live by—probably some of it for safety reasons. 

Absolutely agree - not blaming NOAA in the slightest, just saying I wish we did have some data coming in via recon at the moment. NOAA does the best they can given budget restraints and limited planes (plus the hazard like you said)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alfoman said:

Absolutely agree - not blaming NOAA in the slightest, just saying I wish we did have some data coming in via recon at the moment. NOAA does the best they can given budget restraints and limited planes (plus the hazard like you said)

I know what you mean. I’m guessing they will raise intensity slightly at 5 a sent recon, and then we’ll see what’s going on under the hood when this latest plane gets there. 

• Like 2