• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Milton

As this transitions, you can see how the massive convergence N of the center and extended NE is going to absolutely soak I-4 corridor. Basically like a stalled warm front where all this juice is getting forced up and over the boundary. 

• Like 6
  • 100% 1

1 minute ago, lee59 said:

It claims to be live and it has gone from light to dark. I noticed the same thing, not to windy. Maybe buildings blocking some of the wind.

It may be coming and going. Video never does reality justice. 

In Clearwater, it is healthy upper 20s with gusts at 50 right now. On video, it probably doesn't look too bad. But step outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I-4 corridor here (exit 14). It’s been raining buckets since about noon. My weather station on my back fence says 5.89” so far. With peak gust so far of 26.2. But it’s only mounted about 5’ high on a fence. Power holding for now. Waiting for the big winds to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Port Charlotte probably going to get the worst of the surge.

And it’s probably still a couple to few hours away. The center has slowed down and it won’t really come in until winds switch to onshore. Tampa I think it’s safe to say dodged that bullet but maybe 18” of rain and well over hurricane force gusts in the N eyewall is no joke. Charlotte Harbor I think gets the worst like you said and still heavily populated there very close to sea level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Rjay said:

It takes a short time to update.  They're gusting to 77mph now. 

Oddly enough SRQ does not seem to be transmitting nor does the ASOS report anything if you call it yet its definitely operating because the wind data is updating

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

And it’s probably still a couple to few hours away. The center has slowed down and it won’t really come in until winds switch to onshore. Tampa I think it’s safe to say dodged that bullet but maybe 18” of rain and well over hurricane force gusts in the N eyewall is no joke. Charlotte Harbor I think gets the worst like you said and still heavily populated there very close to sea level. 

Good point. I think of Ian as a Punta Gorda/Pt. Charlotte storm (like Charley); but they didn't get the surge there. Sanibel and Ft. Myers Beach did.

Electric power holding up along most of the Tampa Bay Area for now.  Surge not an issue for now.  Extreme rain will result in localized fresh water flooding in the usual areas.  

• Thanks 2

RE: Sustained winds and gusts enhanced by the low-level jet. This region should be quite fierce through the night post-landfall as transition continues. I do believe this will orient itself to bring the highest wind perpendicular into Sarasota, Laurel, Venice, and North Port on the southern semicircle of the circulation where the worst will be seen for surge impacts. This will, unfortunately, coincide with higher tide.

8ab33f20d678ac0a4a0bdf83b2c20eb1.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • 100% 2

BULLETIN
Hurricane Milton Intermediate Advisory Number 19A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL142024
800 PM EDT Wed Oct 09 2024

...MILTON CLOSE TO MAKING LANDFALL ALONG THE COAST OF WEST-CENTRAL 
FLORIDA...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE, DAMAGING WINDS, AND FLOODING RAINS
OCCURRING ACROSS PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND SOUTHWESTERN FLORIDA...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...27.2N 82.8W
ABOUT 20 MI...30 KM WSW OF SARASOTA FLORIDA
ABOUT 130 MI...205 KM SW OF ORLANDO FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...ENE OR 60 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...954 MB...28.17 INCHES