• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Milton

19 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

We're watching on AWIPS at NWS Chicago and our educated guess has been the Anna Maria Island to Longboat Key corridor, seems like it would pass north of downtown Sarasota based on current radar extrapolation.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

That jives with my estimate based on a 3 hour averaged motion from radar. Will have to see if the forecasted eastward turn occurs before or after landfall as that could shift it south. 

I have no idea how well the HRRR usually performs with near term TC tracks, but the 18z run takes the center right to the mouth of Tampa Bay.

21 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

I'm guessing this comes in around 115 mph. Water still the biggest threat, although these twisters are causing a lot of damage. 

IMO there are too many people writing off this thing closing off the eyewall and restrengthening a bit before landfall.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Radtechwxman said:

Maybe a little of both. But IR appearance is improving and lightning has upticked. 

IR loop on Tropical Tidbits is back up. Pretty substantial blowup of -80C tops near the center currently. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 2

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Deep ring of -80C convection now around the center.

G27JQS8.jpeg

Everyone can speculate but that to me shows the weakening halted and could give fuel to the N/NE eyewalls on approach. Dry air never really got to this either, we don’t have the half cane a lot of models showed. If that -80c convection focuses on the northern semicircle, watch for a slight tug in that direction. 

29 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

We're watching on AWIPS at NWS Chicago and our educated guess has been the Anna Maria Island to Longboat Key corridor, seems like it would pass north of downtown Sarasota based on current radar extrapolation.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I buy what you're selling. It's tricky because the modeling suggests LL sfc circulation lagging a bit behind the radar returns close to landfall, and we also have the chance for a slight east tick. If the dynamics of the eye remain as they are now and you extrapolate fairly linearly... I'd take Holmes Beach/Cortez. It's certainly "in the ballpark" at this stage. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

IR loop on Tropical Tidbits is back up. Pretty substantial blowup of -80C tops near the center currently. 

Too little too late. Just too much going against another period of intensification. More then likely the effects of baroclynic forcing. The wind field is definitely increasing and highest winds will probably stay steady state low end cat 3.
This is, was and always will be about a record surge into a major population centers 

• Like 2
  • 100% 2

4 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

Yeah, the current heading sure looks heading directly for the mouth of the Bay/Bradenton

Agree. Way north of Charley and Ian. Looks like Tampa might actually have their first direct strike since 1921. 

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Too little too late. Just too much going against another period of intensification. More then likely the effects of baroclynic forcing. The wind field is definitely increasing and highest winds will probably stay steady state low end cat 3.
This is, was and always will be about a record surge into a major population centers 

Just to clarify, I wasn't implying that this was going to restrengthen, although some of the hurricane models had modest deepening occurring in the final 12 hours yesterday. But steady state or very slow weakening is likely, and impacts are going to continue to be severe. 

1 minute ago, olafminesaw said:

I think the wobble tracker really helps, I don't think the motion is as far off track as many are saying 

https://www.wfla.com/video/wfla-com-wobble-tracker/adst9VARmWrkeNkr/

It would not be that huge of a track error if this came up the bay, maybe on a straight line 20 miles from the NHC track yesterday, just more a case where it deviated a bit the direction opposite where most models were moving the final 1-2 days

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nibor said:

ceVVq4H.gif

Can really see a tug east during the ERC before a return to more northeasterly movement from the 10 hr loop.

I think the landfall point zone has now narrowed between Clearwater and Sarasota, but this northerly tick after the completion of the ERC is why I cautioned against the urge to lock in a spot too soon. Even a quick turn into Sarasota is looking increasingly dicey (read: unlikely).

To be clear, I’m only talking landfall point. With the larger eye now much of that zone I highlighted could still get eyewall. 

• Like 1