• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Milton

Milton is beginning another Rapid Intensification process. Should shear continue to relax, this will be Milton’s last chance at making a run at peak intensity. Milton starting to move over a warm eddie. Should be over this warm eddie for the next several hours. Later today into the evening and overnight, Milton will be over the Gulf Loop Current.

• Like 1

I think i'll go with landfall near Anna Marie FL. Pressure 935mb. Wind Speed 130mph. Peak surge from Anna Marie to Siesta Key up to 20ft. Perhaps isolated areas with more. Enough water is going to be pushed into Tampa Bay that areas of Pinellas county will still have major problems. Perhaps more so on the Bay side.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just spent some time looking at the coast on google earth in the Sarasota area (ground zero for surge in my opinion) and there is an incredible amount of development in very precarious locations. Huge condo buildings right on the gulf. With 15’ of surge and huge battering waves on top catastrophic damage is likely.

This isn’t a Michael and Mexico beach, you have thousands of Mexico beaches. That’s why I think this has the potential to be the costliest hurricane in US history. 200-300 billion 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • 100% 2

12 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

I think i'll go with landfall near Anna Marie FL. Pressure 935mb. Wind Speed 130mph. Peak surge from Anna Marie to Siesta Key up to 20ft. Perhaps isolated areas with more. Enough water is going to be pushed into Tampa Bay that areas of Pinellas county will still have major problems. Perhaps more so on the Bay side.

I think that’s a pretty good call.  AMI, Longboat and Siesta were devastated by Helene and this will takeout a lot of what’s left.  

I’m thinking landfall is a bit further south between Bradenton Beach and Siesta Key.

Tho will be watching HAFS-B intently, it’s been persistent with TB landfall.

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I just spent some time looking at the coast on google earth in the Sarasota area (ground zero for surge in my opinion) and there is an incredible amount of development in very precarious locations. Huge condo buildings right on the gulf. With 15’ of surge and huge battering waves on top catastrophic damage is likely.

This isn’t a Michael and Mexico beach, you have thousands of Mexico beaches. That’s why I think this has the potential to be the costliest hurricane in US history. 200-300 billion 

Just about anywhere north of Marco Island is very heavily developed and in really bad places for surge. Bradenton/Sarasota by itself is over 100K people. 

• Like 4
  • 100% 1

24 minutes ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

Milton is beginning another Rapid Intensification process. Should shear continue to relax, this will be Milton’s last chance at making a run at peak intensity. Milton starting to move over a warm eddie. Should be over this warm eddie for the next several hours. Later today into the evening and overnight, Milton will be over the Gulf Loop Current.

I don't think it's possible for this hurricane to rapidly intensify, by the meteorological definition, or even as a loose descriptor, thankfully, unless it had weakened more. It's too close to its ceiling.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Crap 1

11 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wouldn’t it be closer to Ian ($113 billion)? The Sarasota metro area has about the same population as the Ft. Myers area. Or are you thinking higher because Tampa will still get bad flooding even with the forecast track to the south of the bay?

14 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Just about anywhere north of Marco Island is very heavily developed and in really bad places for surge. Bradenton/Sarasota by itself is over 100K people. 

Yeah, the coastal development has been very high in those areas.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, gallopinggertie said:

Wouldn’t it be closer to Ian ($113 billion)? The Sarasota metro area has about the same population as the Ft. Myers area. Or are you thinking higher because Tampa will still get bad flooding even with the forecast track to the south of the bay?

Exactly, I’m just saying the worst truly catastrophic damage will be in the Sarasota area. 
Milton will also have a swath of inland wind damage right through Orlanda basically paralleling the developed interior of Florida. 

• Weenie 1

I hate to go all IMBY (or specifically in-laws back yard), but given that the track is tucked in just S of TB, does the surge forecast seem shifted a little too far north here?

Specifically I am wondering about Port Charlotte. With an expanding wind field, how far down would the max surge extend? (and again, wouldn't it extend further S than N?)

image.png.481b74da41d3561e38cbe6db4a1f10a2.png

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, gallopinggertie said:

One big difference is even if it does landfall around Sarasota and spares TB of the surge, the northern eyewall will still rake the sprawling Tampa metro of 3.2 million people with probably 100+ mph winds. While it may not be catastrophic damage, the widespread power outages and minor structural damage can add up quickly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

One big difference is even if it does landfall around Sarasota and spares TB of the surge, the northern eyewall will still rake the sprawling Tampa metro of 3.2 million people with probably 100+ mph winds. While it may not be catastrophic damage, the widespread power outages and minor structural damage can add up quickly.

Depends, it may be hooking somewhat hard at LF so I think if it comes in over SRQ its probably missing metro TB, if it comes in N of metro Sarasota then definitely it could hit eastern side of the metro

3 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Agreed on this, and the fact that if this does hit right on the edge of the southside TB or Sarasota, out in front the flow will still throw a substantial amount of water up into TB itself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Depends, it may be hooking somewhat hard at LF so I think if it comes in over SRQ its probably missing metro TB, if it comes in N of metro Sarasota then definitely it could hit eastern side of the metro

It's hard to definitively say there will be any "hard" hook, and even if so, I think we're about 12 hours from really knowing the LF point within 25 miles. I do think I'm weighing my forecast on the COC being pulled north of progs by the asymmetry of the storm nearing landfall. 

25 minutes ago, hooralph said:

I hate to go all IMBY (or specifically in-laws back yard), but given that the track is tucked in just S of TB, does the surge forecast seem shifted a little too far north here?

Specifically I am wondering about Port Charlotte. With an expanding wind field, how far down would the max surge extend? (and again, wouldn't it extend further S than N?)

I am wondering the same thing about Venice and Englewood. Hopefully the next update will bring more clarity. 

4 minutes ago, Amped said:

There is pretty low spread in the 12z tracks so far.  GFS, Ukmet, Icon , Jma and even the cmc all track over Longboat Key from what I can tell.

Longboat Key would be really bad for Sarasota, maybe as far south as Charlotte Harbor/Punta Gorda with surge. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Amped said:

There is pretty low spread in the 12z tracks so far.  GFS, Ukmet, Icon , Jma and even the cmc all track over Longboat Key from what I can tell.

HAFS-B still wants to ride the north side of the bay but the hurricane models are becoming outliers on that at this point

Another pass at 925 mb. 

Meanwhile, 12z HAFS-B showing considerably more weakening near landfall vs. 6z run. Up about 10 mb run over run in last few hours before landfall. 

EDIT: Same with HAFS-B, but HMON is actually stronger vs. 6z. 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Longboat Key would be really bad for Sarasota, maybe as far south as Charlotte Harbor/Punta Gorda with surge. 

I was down in Sarasota this past spring. The bay there is very high even just at high tide. The entire downtown will be underwater. 

the construction downtown is pretty new so I would imagine structural damage would be limited even with cat 3 winds. That’s one saving grace, most of the development on the west coast is new and in accordance with the better building codes. Obviously the immediately shoreline will be wrecked, but the newer construction should be fine

• Like 1