• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Major Hurricane Milton

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, it looked like the FL winds went up in one of the flights to 144kt, but the IR and data hasn’t suggested intensification since. The lightning may be a precursor to intensification but that’s not enough evidence for me. It’ll be interesting to see if it can in fact reintensify today. 

I am curious to see what happens as it continues to pull away from the Yucatan but like what had just been posted, shear/dry air are definitely having some impact here. But the structure of this was just so good going into the ERC we'll just have to see how much the dry air/shear can disrupt the entire circulation. Haven't seen any new convection flare in a while so that's good. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Continued degradation on the N and NW side, so some shear and dry air impinging on it for now. 

Perhaps but I think this might be more structural changes.  Shear doesn’t really kick in until it starts sliding northward.  Like others have said shall be an interesting day to see what Milton does

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The biggest concern for Tampa so far is the HAFS-A/B and HWRF still take this in over Clearwater or north and they were fairly close in the last storm

Those tracks would be real bad for the TBA.

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

Recon's last pass from SE to NW doesn't give much arguement of that strong outer band (which does show up on that pass) encircling the current eyewall. You can clearly see a rain rate spike and mild wind spike, but a similar rain rate and wind spike is not there on the northern or NW side of Milton's circulation. So perhaps we do not yet have a developed enough outer band or concentric feature to kick off a new EWRC yet. As such, we just have a strong eastern or southeast feeder band that may eventually encompass the eye later today. Let's see if this mission does one more pass. If not, we may just have to wait on the next recon, or perhaps we'll get a new MW pass later today.

2db054d768f6eba86a50c4c17de50f72.jpg

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Looking better now for sure. Plenty of -80C tops rotating around the core. 

I think I jinxed it, about 15 minutes after I said there hasn't been no new convection for a while, convection started to blossom on the east side. Not only is the convection starting to wrap around the west side but looks like the convection on the east side is even expanding a bit towards the southeastern side.

• Like 1

Man. The frame by frame analysis on here and other forums. It's strengthening! No, it's weakening! Getting whiplash reading through it.

Personally I think (purely conjecture) it's probably about steady-state right now, still sorting out its structure post-ERC and dealing with some slightly sub-optimal atmospheric and oceanic conditions. We'll see what happens later today if it gets in a sweet spot of upper-level ventilation while passing over the Loop Current.

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1
  • 100% 5

12 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Man. The frame by frame analysis on here and other forums. It's strengthening! No, it's weakening! Getting whiplash reading through it.

Personally I think (purely conjecture) it's probably about steady-state right now, still sorting out its structure post-ERC and dealing with some slightly sub-optimal atmospheric and oceanic conditions. We'll see what happens later today if it gets in a sweet spot of upper-level ventilation while passing over the Loop Current.

The NHC settles it. Not surprising to see conflicting viewpoints when there’s conflicting data.

Sequences of microwave images and recent Hurricane Hunter
observations suggest that Milton completed an eyewall replacement
overnight, and the new eyewall has contracted down from 22 n mi to
12 nm in diameter.  However, it does not appear that the hurricane
weakened much after the eyewall replacement, and it could have
rebounded with the outer eyewall contraction.  A dropsonde released
by the NOAA P-3 in the northeastern eyewall recently measured an
average wind of 156 kt in the lowest 150 m of the sounding, which
equates to an intensity of 130 kt.  The latest pressure reported by
the planes is 929 mb.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • 100% 1

41 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Andy thinks another EWRC is about to commence based on the radar out of Cancun. Cannot deny that the appearance of Milton's structure shows a pretty sharp moat between the eastern outer band and the eyewall currently. But I am unsure if there is an outer wind spike at present or if that outer band is concentric around the entire eye with the northern half too distant/weak from the radar beam. We may just have to be patient for recon.

That's a real chitty radar to be basing anything on.

• Haha 1